Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What tool do you use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billd
On hot days I have been having marginal oil pressures. The oil temp climbs up to 240 and the pressure at RPM drops to 35 or so. At idle its about 10.

I changed my oil today and replaced the 10W-30 with 20W-50. That should help some. While I was at it, I decided to pull out the pressure relief spring and piston - the one on the front bottom of the engine. I managed to get it out with two screwdrivers, but there must be a better way.

The spring and piston seemed fine. Clearly not the problem.

I almost wish I hadn't put a pressure gauge in the car now. Ignorance is bliss.
McMark
Wide chisel and a crescent wrench combo works well. The spring and piston may not show any obvious signs of a problem. The spring can wear out over time.
JeffBowlsby
I think you need Tool P74 Bill, from my Tools webpages at the link below.

billd
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 12 2006, 11:44 PM) *

I think you need Tool P74 Bill, from my Tools webpages at the link below.

Yep, that's the tool I need the next time I do this. Do you now where I can get one? Would EBS carry this?
JeffBowlsby
Try Baum Tools. Google them.
Cap'n Krusty
It's called a "drag link socket", and they're available wherever automotive specialty tools are sold. May have to be altered by grinding.

Whatever possessed you to run 10w30? In your area, it almost never gets cold enough to justify that weight. Too thin, resulting in low oil pressure. It might well be noted that Porsches have historically run lower oil pressure than many other cars. Comparisons with Brit iron OP can be scary. The Cap'n
billd
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 13 2006, 06:54 AM) *

Whatever possessed you to run 10w30?

Stupidity.

I had the oil in my garage and put it in back in February without even thinking about it. It wasn't until I was driving back from Santa Rosa on a hot day that I realized how dumb that was.

The car is used primarily for autocross and its fine during events. A 1 minute run isn't long enough for the car to overheat. However it gets real hot driving to and from events.
billd
Sears has a 15/16 drag link socket for $7.50. A few minutes on the grinder to round it a bit and it should work great - much better than my previous approach.
Aaron Cox
i bought a drag link socket......
DNHunt
i bought a drag link socket......

And to think I caught a ration for helping a guy change his clutch cable clevis at WCC. The only difference is you didn't get caught under the car in a picture.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.