Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Sandwich adapter fittings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
agrump
I'm converting from a rear mounted oil cooler to a front mount. The rear mount cooler used a thermostat sandwich plate with AN-8 fittings. I've changed over to AN-10 lines for the front mount. I'm having trouble with the fittings in the sandwich plate. I bought some 3/8 NPT to AN-10 fittings but they don't fit the adapter plate. I can thread them in but the threads never tighten, they are so loose that I can rock the fitting back and forth a little. The only way it tightens up is if I bottom them out. The old AN-8 fittings screw in tight but don't seem to NPT fittings as they don't get tighter the farther you screw them in. The only marking on the sandwich plate is "9300567", I don't know who makes it.

Any ideas what fittings this thing uses?

Thanks!
Joe Bob
Buy an adapter that has -10 AN fittings in it.....%^B

Or make sure that the adapter was NPT threaded.....take the OLD fittings and have them measured.

BAT Inc. on the net as well as Earl's has good stuff....unless you have a good high end marine or aircraft fitting store near you.
groot
The pipe threads on the sandwhich adapter are tapered. If the tap for these threads was run in a bit deep, your threads could be a bit large for your fitting.

I'm not sure what you can do about it short of buying a new fitting or tapping is for 1/2" NPT.
Matt Romanowski
These guys hit it on the head. You can check the old threads on the adapter.

It's probably best to just buy a new sandwich plate. That will make sure you have good threads.

Matt
agrump
The threads on the adapter are not damaged, the original fittings fit perfectly. The BAT site was interesting. My sandwich adapter looks very similar to a mocal sp1t except the plug on the end of the thermostat doesn't stick out, instead it has a flat plug held in by a c clip.

Click to view attachment

The mocals have 1/2" female bsp threads, I wonder if my adapter has 3/8 bsp threads (whatever bsp threads are!).
maf914
BSP means British pipe threads. If the adapter has BSP threadsthen you need a BSP to AN adapter, if you want to go to AN fittings.

Try www.pegasusautoracing.com for BSP fittings and info. I'm looking at their catalog and they have several combinations using BSP threads.
agrump
Thanks Mike,

I found this on the pegusus site under one of their sandwich adapters:

Note: 1/2 BSP is so close to 1/2 NPT that some experienced mechanics will use a 1/2 NPT fitting in a 1/2 BSP port with the help of some Teflon tape. We recommend using our BSP adapters for maximum reliability.

Substitute 3/8 for 1/2 inch and that is exactly what I am experiencing.
AZ914
Ok, I just ordered the Mocal SP1T (in transit) and the desciption said 1/2" NPT female ports.. so of course I ordered 1/2 NPT to AN fittings... Am I screwed here?
Aaron Cox
my mocal plate used 1/2 NPT threads....

so i bought 1/2 NPT to -10 male adapters. GOOD to go....
Aaron Cox
BSP wtf?

racerpartswholesale.com says it IS 1/2 NPT...

buy it from there
AZ914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 13 2006, 12:57 PM) *

my mocal plate used 1/2 NPT threads....

so i bought 1/2 NPT to -10 male adapters. GOOD to go....

Ok cool.. sounds like there may be a couple of versions out there..
Aaron Cox
if you need any more guidance, my blog has install pics.

use teflon on the pipe threads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.