Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One of the things I wanted see at PIR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeSharp
The guy that sold Linda her Award Winning Bumpers race's a Cheetah and his Daughter is racergril.
The Cheetah was made to hunt Cobera's in the early 60's. Check out how short the wheel base is. Driver sits next to the tranny and the rear axel is at seat back.
Click to view attachment
The fuel cell is in the middle of the car oppsite the driver.
Click to view attachment
I think they only made 11 of them. I saw 3 at the Times Grand Prix at Riverside but don't rember the year.
Click to view attachment
Neat Cars.
Click to view attachment
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Lou W
Great pictures Joe, I love that car wub.gif Always have. smile.gif
rcrgrl
Joe-
So glad you liked it! Too bad you guys left before his race sad.gif

They originally made 12 cars + the two prototypes. The wheel base is so short there is no driveshaft. It was probably 1965 at the times grand prix

Great to meet you - and linda - and everybody else - in person.

BTW - Can I "borrow" these pictures for the website?

JoeSharp
Yes. I have more I'll post also.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
MBowman325
That's a slick looking car! I'd never heard of a Cheetah before, 'course with 14 cars made.. smile.gif

No offence intended, but it sorta reminds me of an Opel I saw once, a long time ago, only much cooler. (The Cheetah being cooler, not the Opel)
JoeSharp
Click to view attachment
Thats it.and thanks for asking.
maf914
Nice pictures of the Cheetah, Joe. Thanks.

There is at least one Cheetah open roadster. I saw it at an HSR event here in Savannah at Roebling Road several years ago. It was black. I've never seen a coupe, but I think I they look better than the roadster.
rcrgrl
there is 1. the cro-sal car - the driver said it was too hot and cut the top off (in the 60's) there are also one or two reproduction cars (coupes) running, but this one is an original smile.gif
SirAndy
i was wondering what kind of car that was. i was trying to describe it to somebody ...

"you know, a really long hood with a bubbly thing at the end ..." biggrin.gif

i like it!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

PS: i saw him running in the morning. he was driving at 1/2 at best, looked like he was just cruising. short shifting the thing onto the main straight.
i guess it was just too damm hot out there ...
iamchappy
I had one when I was a kid ( 1/24 scale slot car) Cheetah.
drew365
I'll bet that makes for some hot feet! I had a Sunbeam Tiger and every now and then when caught in traffic I would pull over and get out because I thought my tennis shoes were going to melt. Good times! smile.gif
bjorn jacobson
Those things are awesome. Kind of make me think of a Vette on acid.

I saw one at Road America last year, don't know if it was real of a kit. Bet it would be fun to take for a spin around the track.
sixnotfour
I had one when I was a kid ( 1/24 scale slot car) Cheetah.

Me too made by COX, Cool Special
JoeSharp
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2006, 02:09 PM) *

i was wondering what kind of car that was. i was trying to describe it to somebody ...

i like it!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

PS: i saw him running in the morning. he was driving at 1/2 at best, looked like he was just cruising. short shifting the thing onto the main straight.

Andy: Fred had an ignition probablem and it wouldn't rev past 5k.
brant
aren't those awesome cars!
I've always loved that car!

brant
rcrgrl
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 13 2006, 08:41 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2006, 02:09 PM) *

i like it!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy

Andy: Fred had an ignition probablem and it wouldn't rev past 5k.

yep, like no ignition - i think my 914 electrical issues are contagious. . . and don't forget the gas leak and oil leak,
TravisNeff
They did a show on the cheetah like My classic car or something like that. Having a look in the interior shows you how small that car really is, the pumpkin is right behind the seats
andys
I remember seeing one running at the now defunct Riverside Raceway many years ago. It was not competitive at the time, and as I recall one of it's drives described it's poor handling a "simply scarey." It was however an interesting looking car. Someone manufactured a replica kit; I just don't remember who.

Andys
Al Meredith
There is one in resteration in Atlanta now, I've seen it at Toby Bergen's shop in Smyrna, GA. There was even a local Newspaper story about it. AL
tomamafone
Aparently these guys are making them again with the permission of Bill Thomas

-Tommy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.