Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How can you tell if your...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Sorry for the dumb question, but just recently my steering wheel started shaking. Just a mild wobble, nothing too serious. Felt like a low tire, but pressures are good.

I am thinking the ball joints, but would like confirmation before spending $$$ (those little buggers ain't cheap).

thanks beer.gif
BMartin914
Raise the wheel off the ground, grab the tire and try to move it, up and down to check for play in the joint. You can also use a prybar against the knuckle to see if there is play in the ball joint. It is typically noticeable and if there is play, it should be replaced.

Unbalanced wheels can also cause shimmy. Unevenly worn tires too as is the case with mine...
rhodyguy
inspect the rubber bushings (2 per side) that connect the tierods to the rack and ball joint ends.

k
Bartlett 914
I was going to ask the same question! I did as suggested and there is some play. I am pretty sure the play is in the wheel bearing and needs to be cleaned lubed and adjusted. The book states to adjust so the washer just moves. Not real scientific. Has any measured the proper amount of wheel wobble that should be present. I am sure there should be some. One of my wheels has .010" and the other has .005" at the rim.

Sorry for the hijack but I think it relates.

Mark
tat2dphreak
some of the play can be from bearings, though... inspect the rubber, if it looks dry/cracked, change it
bryanf
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 13 2006, 11:23 AM) *

some of the play can be from bearings, though... inspect the rubber, if it looks dry/cracked, change it

When mine were bad the tracking went all to hell. The car needed constant correction on the freeway. They also made some pretty strange noises at times. Now that they're replaced the car feels like my brain is directly connected to the steering.

Sounds like you need wheel balancing to me...
tat2dphreak
yea shaking at speed is usually wheel balancing... but think of it this way: what happens if a ball joint fails? BAD SHIT!
kinda makes $50 sounds real cheap...
jr91472
werd thumb3d.gif

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 13 2006, 10:53 AM) *

yea shaking at speed is usually wheel balancing... but think of it this way: what happens if a ball joint fails? BAD SHIT!

GWN7
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 13 2006, 11:53 AM) *

One wheel goes one way, the other goes the other way. Just when the sparks start happening from the metal draging on the pavement is when you start thinking that you should have fixed the small fuel leak sooner.... then there is the "drifting" on the freeway at 60 when the end digs into the crack in the pavement that could really exciting at rush hour...... biggrin.gif

BTW a new tie rod end is about $18 from GPR
tdgray
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jul 13 2006, 02:53 PM) *

Yep... I know my wheels are out of balance (going to the shop tomorrow) but I also wondered if my ball joints and tie rod ends were bad

Soooo... I am replacing them anyways. You can't play with this. Could mean certain death. Not kidding, I've flipped a car because of a bad tie rod end. sad.gif
tat2dphreak
yep, I damn near flipped my truck when the ball joint broke... so the teener got new tie rod ends(paragon was the best deal that day...) and ball joints on general principals... my philosophy: i'f it's less than a hunred bucks, and will kill you when it fails... replace it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.