Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: G50 transmissions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Hey all. I was just wondering what the deal is with the G50 transmission. I mean, they've been making it for eons, and there's a ton of different submodels. I guess my question is this. What are the differences in the different models, and what ties them all together and makes them all G50s? I'm asking because I would like to build an Ultima sometime in the future, and that's the tranny they're bracketed for. In the meantime, however, I'm halfway considering using the teener as a mule to test the engine and tranny I want to use in the Ultima; IE Ford modular V8(severely modified of course) hooked to a G50. Anyways, that's still a maybe. But considering the price of building a good T4 engine it may be worth it. Anyways, that's all speculation right now. Oh yeah, another question: is there such thing as a 6 speed G50? And if not, what would be a good 6 speed to use? These are just some open questions for all you gearheads.... haha.... get it.... gearheads chairfall.gif ..... WTF.gif ..... huh.gif ....... nevermind.
Mark D.

Brad Roberts
They actually only used the "G50" from 87-90

The ones after that are based on the G50, but the number changed (G92 or something like that)

The one I see everyone using is the 964-993 style tranny (90-98) these have a single round mount nose cone instead of the cross plate like the 915/930 and early G50's used.

Good box. You just have to run it upside down, and you are VERY limited on options for how you are going to shift it.

The hot ticket for what you want to do would be a street GT3 cable shifted 6 speed.

Not cheap.

B
BMXerror
Do you have to run it upsidedown, or can the ring gear be flipped in it? (very limited tranny knowlege)
Mark D.
Oh yeah.... Also do the newish 996 6 speeds have a LSD in them from the factory? I would hope so with that much power.
Brad Roberts
You cannot flip the diff in a G50 style tranny.

NONE of the 996's have LSD's in them (or Boxsters/Caymans for that fact)

Porsche does it electronically now.. it is called "Traction Control" and is controlled via the ABS system on 99 and up 986/996/987/997. GT3 street cars have LSD's in them as well as *some* 996TT's and GT2's. (I'm not sure if all of them have it)
BMXerror
Hmmm.. Interesting. Forgive my noobness again, but what do you mean by 'GT3' cars? Are you talking about the 993 vintage stuff, or are you talking about factory racers? Also, wouldn't running a tranny upside down cause oiling problems?
Mark D.
Brad Roberts
The "GT3" is Porsches factory racing Carrera Cup cars on the street with AC and a few pieces of carpet (no cage) They are slighty detuned for street use, but they are BADASS 385hp 6speed street rockets.

Yes on oiling. You have to run a line that equalizes the oil level in the gearbox. Pretty simple actually.

B
BMXerror
Yeah, and I bet a tranny for one of those is REAL easy to find. Anyways, you've helped me a ton! Thanks man. Just from an hour's research or so, along with your advice, I'm kinda thinkin a 993 tranny would be the best middle ground. It's not gonna be as solid as the GT3 tranny, but much cheaper, I'm assuming. I couldn't really find any GT3 trannies to be honest. But I would think that the 993 tranny could handle the extra HP since it'd be moving a car that's 900 pounds lighter. That's a recipe for a lot of burnout.gif burnout.gif burnout.gif burnout.gif burnout.gif burnout.gif Thanks again.
Mark D.
Brad Roberts
The GT3 tranny is a cable shifted version of the 993 tranny. The case,gears,input shaft and pinion are the same. It is a true Cable shifted tranny with two levers on the outside of the case.

B
rktmn247
You said you wanted to use the Ford motor so why not the transaxle from the GT? It will bolt right up with out the added expense of adapters and such. Still expensive but, it might be cheaper and more reliable in the long run. I saw some on e-bay awhile back. Do not remember the price though.
Brett W
The 950 gearbox came out in '87 911's. Then they became G64's for the '89 C4 all wheel drive and G50's for the two wheel drive in '90. All are brass syncro 5 speeds. The 993 uses a 6 speed version and so does the 993 Twin Turbo. The '89 930 used a five speed brass syncro trans and so did the '91 through '94 964 Turbos. They're all beefy.

The G50 is very long. It will hang out the back of a 914 if you use it. I looked at using one in my race car and may still end up using on in the future but it will require some mods to the chassis.

The new tranny for the 997 twin turbo is even stronger. Makes the mainshafts in the G50 look like 901 twigs. It has some pretty neat features.
Brad Roberts
HUm..

I know of two 914's with 3.6's and 993 6 speeds in them.. all under the body work no problem.

B
rktmn247
It will stick out farther if it is behind the V8 that He wants to use.
Brad Roberts
True! I dont know the length of the engine he is asking about.

I would probably cut the bellhousing down of I was going to use one.

I didnt realize we had a Hawaii member! My company has an office there! Sooner or later I will visit you.

B
rktmn247
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 13 2006, 01:28 PM) *

True! I dont know the length of the engine he is asking about.

I would probably cut the bellhousing down of I was going to use one.

I didnt realize we had a Hawaii member! My company has an office there! Sooner or later I will visit you.

B

Thats why I suggested the Ford GT trans for that engine in an Ultima. If It was the standard dabate (V8 in a 914) that seems to go on quite often around here the GT trans might not make sense; but if you have the bucks and that is the engine choice..... idea.gif

Just let me know when your in town! beerchug.gif
BMXerror
Thanks all for the input. The Ultima's a long ways off(if it happens at all). I want to build one with a destroked, supercharged, screamin' cobra motor with a few little top-secret do-dads. I'd do all the fuel mapping and everything myself. But, I was thinkin, since I'll have to adapt a tranny anways, and I can pick up a rebuilt cobra motor for $3200, maybe I should just do that and put it in the Porsche to get fimiliar with it. That way I wouldn't have to worry about mating the two when I'm already worrying about building a car. Plus, I'd have a mad-crazy 914 in the meantime. I wanted to build a hot motor for the teener anyway, but I think it would take me just as much money to build a type 4 motor with half the HP. Still, a built T4 has it's appeal. Anyways, right now I'm just a kid with lots of time and vision, but not very much money. However, at 50k a kit (minus engine and tranny of course), getting a supercar doesn't seem all that far off, as long as I don't get married. screwy.gif Thanks again. Y'all helped a lot.
Mark D.
wbergtho
The G50-50 5spd trans & the G50-52 are the stongest G50 style boxes you can find. The 993 six speed boxes are not geared well for a high HP V-8. The best box to get is the 1989 G50-50. It has a stronger mainshaft, ideal gearing for a V-8. It shifts 10 times better than a 915/930 box but will set you back 12-15K depending on all the mods you want to do. Bobby Hart @ CA Motorsports has created a billet sideshifter kit for all G50 style boxes. The sideshifter set up allows the trans to fit into a 914 w/out shifting mechanisms hanging out the ass end of the car. It is shifted via cable. He shortens the bell housing as well. As said before, the G50 series boxes cannot have the ring & pinion flipped so it must be mounted inverted. If money is no big deal, this is your choice...personally...I couldn't afford this set-up...so I went to the next affordable box...the 930. Still cost plenty...but not near as much as a G50-50. They were made for only one year and are snapped up by Ultima builders when ever they are available.

Why a Ford powerplant when Chev makes more power for less money and 12 times as many options/parts available?

Bill
Brett W
I have a 24v 5.0 Ford engine in my shop now and I am not reallly impressed. It has huge cylinder heads. I would go with a Chevy over that motor anyday.

If you are looking for interesting check out the 3.5litre Nissan engine. I think it has lots of potential.

can't justify the weight of the Ford motor. Look for a Carrera Gt engine there will be plenty on the market shortly.
Brett W
IPB Image

# Original equipment in the Ford GT supercar
# Built by Ricardo
# +600 ft/lbs torque capacity
# Gear ratios: 1st 2.611; 2nd 1.708; 3rd 1.233; 4th .943; 5th .767; 6th .625
# 3.36 final drive ratio
# 200lbs dry weight
# 15.5" (H) x 18" (W) x 31" (L)
# Perfect for a custom build mid engine car or kit car
# Bolts to any V-8 modular engine
# Unique flywheel required

Yours only 14K dollars. Gear ratios are a little tall in my opinion. Better bring lots of torque.
BMXerror
The CGT engine won't fit in a 914 OR an Ultima. Also, it'd be insanely expensive and parts would be unbelievably expensive. I love the sound of that V10, but it's not really plausable. As for why Ford instead of Chevy, for starters I want to use a engine with post 1950s technology.... hehe.. j/k A small block Chevy IS cheap HP, but it's very heavy, rather inefficiant, and painfully unorigional. I try not to let my bias against Chevy blind me, because I know that the motors being built now aren't even Chevys with all the aftermarket crap on them. They're kinda like the VW motors that way. STILL, I think that the Ford modular motor is a better platform for what I want to build. I should explain this by saying that the engine I want to build is niether what Ford, nor the aftermarket performance companies had in mind. The fundamental dementions, possibly even the firing order would be completely different. I'd basically be building MY motor out of Ford's castings. That's the best I can explain it.
Anyways, off the topic that I'm undoubtably going to get fried for..( ohmy.gif I insulted Chevy ohmy.gif ) .. Is the G50-50 a five or six speed? If they run 12-15k, then what are the one's that Ultima is selling on their site for 3k?(they're 5 speeds) Also, what do you mean the 993s are geared for a high HP V8? Do they not have enough top end? Can you change the final drive in them? And Brett, what's wrong with big cylinder heads? Lot's of questions, I know. Just a curious guy, I guess.
Mark D.
soloracer
You could always go with a Hewland or Mendeola transmission couldn't you? Wouldn't they be about the same price as the GT3 tranny? And you could get it with a sequential shifter too. How much is the GT3 box?
Brad Roberts
DUH!!

I forgot... Mendeola or the other guy was supposed to build a streetable big tranny for the V8 engines/mid-engine. I need to call them and see where they are at with this. They where moving into a new building during the design.

B
rktmn247
From sir andy's thread on the 915 shifter nine14cats quoted almost 11K for a 915.

"Total hot rod WEVO box with all the fixens = $10,670 if you don't do anything but write the check."

So the Ford part is not much more when you consider that you no longer need an adapter.

As far as the ratios being too tall. Would you really need that much more torque in such a light machine?

One thing is painfully obvious though. It sure costs alot of money to go fast. headbang.gif
wbergtho
Have you ever thought of putting a LS series Chev motor in (like I did). All aluminum (lighter), far from 50's technology...especially the LS7), there's a shitload of aftermarket go fast proven high perf parts available...yada...yada...etc. As far as the 3K G50 that Ultima is pedalling...that would be the G50-10 or G50-20 found in the non turbo late eighties 911's. No limited slip, shitty gear ratios for low torque 911 engines. The 6 spd gear boxes found in the 993 TT are beefy...but shitty ratios in that they are not tall to take advantage of the V-8 torque and lower redline. I assume you will build a monster motor. The G50-50 is the rare 1989 turbo box. As I said before, it is a 5 spd. It has much beefier internals and ideal taller ratios. Call Bobby Hart (928-855-5755) and ask him for the Porsche transaxle education...he'd be happy to explain the intricacies in a more detailed way than I can. I should ask you how much money you can spend on a gearbox? If you are like me (poor) you'll have to forget about the G50-50, Ford GT box, Mendeola, Forten, etc....and settle for a lowly $7,000-8,500 930 crappy shifting box. As far as changing ratios and final drive in a G50 series box...you most certainly can....for a princely sum of cash. CALL BOBBY HART... aktion035.gif

Bill
wbergtho
my lowly 930 box
Brett W
j/k A small block Chevy IS cheap HP, but it's very heavy, rather inefficiant, and painfully unorigional. I try not to let my bias against Chevy blind me, because I know that the motors being built now aren't even Chevys with all the aftermarket crap on them. They're kinda like the VW motors that way. STILL, I think that the Ford modular motor is a better platform for what I want to build. I should explain this by saying that the engine I want to build is niether what Ford, nor the aftermarket performance companies had in mind. The fundamental dementions, possibly even the firing order would be completely different. I'd basically be building MY motor out of Ford's castings. That's the best I can explain it.
? And Brett, what's wrong with big cylinder heads? Lot's of questions, I know. Just a curious guy, I guess.
Mark D.

Nothing wrong with big heads, it is just the amount of real estate that Ford DOHC heads command is insane. Compare them to other DOHC heads. Ford heads are huge (size wise). Not real impressed with the valvetrain either.

As for the Chevy ford debate, compare this:
Ford 32 valve 4.6 litre engine weighs 535lbs
Chevy LS7 weighs in around 450-475 lbs

LS7 heads flow 360cfm right out of the box.
Ford Ported 272-306cfm. That is a fully worked head. Sorry ford heads are not even in the same ballpark.

My biggest problems with the Ford Mod motors is the lack of bore size. The stock 4.6 has a smaller bore than the 1.7 litre T4 engine. You can't get much bigger than 97mm so you severely limit the airflow capability of the engine. I would not lean towards a Mod motor for any kind of performance application. There are many better options out there.
wbergtho
Brett W,

I ditto what you said...but we have to face the facts and realize that some people like to play around with Ford engines over Chev engines. Doesn't make a lot of sense...I know. I heard from DRM (Doug Rippie Motorsports) that there is a new cam and tuning package available for the LS7 that pushes HP well over 630HP! A cam & tuning? Holy shit...that's quite an improvement over the stock 505HP motor.
Brett W
In stock trim the LS7 has at least 30HP in the fuel and ignition timing alone. From what I heard there is enough room on top of the pistons to clear a camshaft on the order of REALLY F'ing BIG. As well as headers and such.

My old man has a Z06 with that engine and I can't even get him to break it in yet. I want to put a cam in it and tune the ECU, but that won't fly. I have already pulled the wheels off and started crawling around measuring the chassis.
BMXerror
I didn't know that the modular motor was heavier than the LS7. That's kind of a surprise to me. Of course, I didn't know that the LS7 was aluminum either. That would explain it. Still, I would still stick with the mod motor. And before you give me all kinds of crap about being a 'Ford Guy', I'm about as 'Anti-american-car-company' as people get, and that opinion includes Ford. Still, I know that once I'm done with whatever I'm playing with, it's not going to be at all what the origional manufacturer intended. I want a twin-cam, injected, V8 (or flat 8, good luck with that). I was looking at BMW V8s, but they're just too damn expensive, and there isn't any real support for performance internals. I was also looking at the water cooled Porsche motors, but they've got the same problems as well as only being 6 cylinders. Of course, I wouldn't have to change as many parts with the Porsche motor. The Ford modular motor is the best middle ground for what I want, between the cost and availability of parts, and the technology in play. No, you can't make the Ford motor as big as a Chevy motor, but bigger isn't always better. Right now I'm tossing around a few designs between 4 and 4.3 liters. There's hardly a need for 7. As for the flow of the heads, OF COURSE the LS7 heads flow more volume. They have to support much more displacement(One would think that that was obvious). I'm chosing a motor based on engineering decisions that affect MY particular application, not based on name recognition, popular opinion, or patriotism! On that note, I'll say no more on the engine debate.
Thanks all for the inputs on Porsche trannys. When the time comes, obviously I'll have to make a decision based on my budget. If I can afford a Hewland or Quaife, then I'll do that. But if I have to go Porsche based, now I know a lot more about what options are out there. Thanks again.
Mark D.
andys
Ford vs. Chevy, again?

Nothing fundamentally wrong with the SBF (pushrod) with plenty of cheap performance parts, reliable EFI, plenty of EFI tuning knowlege, and a stand alone engine wiring harness. The 5.0L torque is well matched to a 914 transaxle.

The Ford MOD motors are big and heavy, and would seem really difficult (if not impossible) to adapt to a 914. Here's a photo of a twin cam MOD, and a SBF.

I'm doing an LS1, which is relatively light, and has excellent HP potential. The LS7 crate is what; something like $13K? That's a lot of money (to me).Click to view attachment

Andys
Brett W
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Jul 14 2006, 10:44 AM) *

I want a twin-cam, injected, V8 (or flat 8, good luck with that). I was looking at BMW V8s, but they're just too damn expensive, and there isn't any real support for performance internals. I was also looking at the water cooled Porsche motors, but they've got the same problems as well as only being 6 cylinders. Of course, I wouldn't have to change as many parts with the Porsche motor. The Ford modular motor is the best middle ground for what I want, between the cost and availability of parts, and the technology in play. No, you can't make the Ford motor as big as a Chevy motor, but bigger isn't always better. Right now I'm tossing around a few designs between 4 and 4.3 liters. There's hardly a need for 7. As for the flow of the heads, OF COURSE the LS7 heads flow more volume. They have to support much more displacement(One would think that that was obvious). I'm chosing a motor based on engineering decisions that affect MY particular application, not based on name recognition, popular opinion, or patriotism!

I understand what you are looking for. I was doing some thinking on this last night. The V8 engines manufactured for production car use have some major flaws as far as an all out performance application. I am looking for the same thing. A four cam , lightwieght V8 that can be used in a racing application. The LS X is the only production V8 that most of us can afford that can be built to run this way. The C5 R engine weighs 369lbs in full race trim. That is extremely light, but it still doesn't do it for me. I want something that can rev to 10K plus. The only way to really go there is buy an old F1, Indy car, CART, etc. I wish I had the cheese to spring for one of those.

It is not a Ford Chevy debate, I am looking at it from a pure engineering basis. The MOD motor doesn't offer the foundation needed for what you are trying to do. I would look towards the Japanese or German V8s for some sort of basis. You will be spending lots of money anyways.

For a race car the Hewland gearbox is a reasonable option. It is still in the 10-15K price range but it will be better than many other options.
p0rschenut69
QUOTE(soloracer @ Jul 13 2006, 09:06 PM) *

You could always go with a Hewland or Mendeola transmission couldn't you? Wouldn't they be about the same price as the GT3 tranny? And you could get it with a sequential shifter too. How much is the GT3 box?

Hello, I am new to the forum, my name is Clark.
This is what I found on the G50. There is only one side cover so you can not flip the pinion or ring gear; therefore, the tranny needs to be mounted up side down or inverted or the car will have 5 gears for reverse and one gear forward lol . It is long, although, it can be shortened by machining and modification to the bell housing and the input shaft. The bolt pattern to engine is not symetrical when the tranny is fipped inverted; therefore, the hole next to the starter needs to be weld-filled and redrilled if you are attaching it to a Porsche engine. If you are using an adapter plate to mount another engine type the adapter plate if made for a G50 will include the new hole pattern.

A Problem is that The early Porsche PUSH style 'cup-type' (and VW,914) flywheel as is normally used in a 901/902 4 or 5-speed transaxle, (or VW 4-speed) trans is not used in the later 911,915 or G50.

The later transaxles 911, 915, G50 and used the PULL type of pressure plate assembly as used on the G50 and later transmissions.
The later 'pull-type' has the throw-out bearing attached to the center of the spring. The throw-out arm engages a slot in the bearing and pulls on the diaphram.

From the research I have done, the only way I see to install a G50 with the 914 T4 engine is to machine a VW Bus flywheel (914 215mm Flywheel is too small) to remove the ring gear and machine it down flat to the friction disc surface, Drill and pin the modified flywheel to accept a Porsche 911 225mm Pressure Plate. Use an early Porsche 944 Clutch Friction Disc since it uses the same center splines as a G50. Install a Porsche 964 Throw-out Bearing in the center of the 911 Pressure Plate which will fit the throw out fork of the G50. And shim the Starter motor for correct engagement of the ring gear...After all that the gear ratios will be too tall unless you are using a very powerful modified T4 engine to make it work!

Here is some more info on the G50, how it is made to work in some other cars FYI:

Porsche transmission type: 950
The Merits of The G50 Gearbox Have Been Written And Discussed Before - Simply Put - This Gearbox Is The Most - Easy To Use - best Modern Gearbox For Your Classic Porsche 911.
The 5-speed (and later, 6-speed G50 series of Porsche transaxles) were originally installed in 911s from 1987 to 1994. The original G50 is a 5 Speed - H Pattern Gearbox Featuring The Borg Warner Synchromesh System.
Getrag'S High Quality Casting - Ample Case Reinforcement Ribbing make The G50 an Excellent Choice For Higher Output Applications and a Favorite to adapt to mid-engine replicas due to it's ability to handle high-power, and high-torque racing engines.
GT40 Application
For the GT40 and other mid-engine applications the transmission is mounted inverted.
The GT40 was designed to use either the T44 or the ZF Transaxle. Unfortunately, these transaxles are getting rather scarce and the aftermarket is not bringing affordable alternatives to bear.
The alternate transaxles recommended by the replica manufacturers are:
*Audi 016 (which requires the engine to be mounted 1.5” higher in order to get an acceptable angle on the CV joints and half-shafts.
Not acceptable to most).
*Porsche 930 (long or short) - Pricey and only a 4 speed.
*Porsche G50/01, G50/50 and G50/52 - Pricey and hard to find but they’re out there...
Or the more common 950 Porsche G50/03 and modify it to be acceptable to the Chassis. This is a 5- speed transaxle that has been upgraded to steel synchronizers
and oil spray ports to keep the gears cool. There are modifications required to make this transmission work in the GT40 replica:
*The Forward Mounting donut and boss must be removed.
*The shifter-shaft must be shortened (this requires machining of the housing).
*The G50/03 is roughly 2” longer than the other G50 trans mentioned above so that means that the engine / transaxle needs to move forward.
This is not necessarily a bad thing since the centerline of the transmission axle stubs are roughly 3” behind the centerline of the rear axles.
However – There is a limit as to just how far forward you can move the driveline before entering the passenger cabin.
G50 can be mated to the GT40 and to several engines by using aftermarket adapters.
These are the popular choices because they are light, relatively inexpensive to acquire, and, compared to some of the later choices, relatively compact.
Aftermarket adapter plates are available to adapt the G50 to the following engines:
BMW V12
Chevy LS series (all)
Ferrari V12 (400i)
Ford Windsor (e.g., Ford SB 289,302,351 to 427)
Ford Mod motor (including Coyote)
Porsche Mid-Engine Modification
For Porsche six-cylinder, mid-engine inverted G50 use such as in the Porsche 917 and 962 replicas where an adapter plate is not applicable the effective and reliable method is to machine the G50 bell housing to FLIP the HOUSING BOLT PATTERN. This is required since the bell housing bolt pattern is not symmetrical.

Early Porsche 911 Modification (prior to 1987)
The G50 is about 25mm too long to fit a 3.2 911 body shell with the torsion bar tube used with a 915 transmission.
You could carry out major surgery and fit a G50 type Torsion bar tube which would also involve moving the rear engine mounts - as the engine is slightly further back. You would also need to change the torsion bars and spring plates. Hugely expensive. You will need to change the gear lever console as the G50 has an internally sprung gate and this will fight with 915 tower springs and give a very, very poor shift. The gear shift rod is also different.
The next option would be to 'shorten' the G50. This involves stripping the box and then machining 25mm off the length of the bell housing and shortening the main-shaft by the same amount. You would need to weld #pocket' into the bellhousing to support the mounting bolts and then re-machine to ensure it will clear the flywheel.
You will also need a different clutch release bearing tube and a custom flywheel (an aluminium 240mm would be suitable) and clutch. You will also need the correct 'throw' out arm and all of the associated parts. The gear shift console will still need to be changed as above.

The final way is to cut out the centre section of the torsion bar tube and fit 935 style spring plates with spherical joints and use Bilstein Rear Coil overs with springs of about 500lb/in to replace the torsion bars. The gear change console still needs changing as well.

G50 Types:
• Type: G50/00, G50/01, G50/02
• Original equipment for: Porsche 911 Carrera 1987-1989
• Description: H Pattern 5 speed manual transaxle with Borg Warner single cone synchromesh and synchronized reverse
• Limited Slip Differential: 40% LSD optional equipment
• Weight (approx): 146lbs
• Oil Capacity (approx): 3L API classification GL5 75/90
• Speedometer: Electric speedometer/hall sensor
• Trans controls: Rod linkage
• Clutch: Hydraulically assisted pull clutch, 240mm single plate
• 1st gear 3.500 (3.154 G50/02)
• 2nd gear 2.059 (1.895 G50/02)
• 3rd gear 1.409 (1.333 G50/02)
• 4th gear 1.13 (1.074 G50/00) (1.036 G50/02)
• 5th gear 0.89 (0.861 G50/00 and G50/02)
• Final drive 3.44, 7.5”

• Type: G50/50
• Original equipment for: Porsche 911/930 Turbo, 1989 only
• Description: H Pattern 5 speed manual transaxle with Borg Warner single cone synchromesh and synchronized reverse
• Weight (approx): 156lbs
• Oil Capacity (approx): 3.7L API classification GL5 75/90
• Speedometer: Electric speedometer/hall sensor
• 1st gear 3.154
• 2nd gear 1.789
• 3rd gear 1.269
• 4th gear 0.967
• 5th gear 0.767
• Final drive 3.44, 9”

• Trans type: G50/03, G50/04, G50/05
• Original equipment for: Porsche 911/964 Carrera 2, 1990-1994
• Weight (approx): 146lbs
• Oil Capacity (approx): 3.6L API classification GL5 75/90
• Speedometer: None
• 1st gear 3.500
• 2nd gear 2.059 (1.90 G50/04)
• 3rd gear 1.407 (1.33 G50/04)
• 4th gear 1.086 (1.03 G50/04)
• 5th gear 0.868
• Final drive 3.444, 7.5” (3.33 G50/05)

• Type: G64/00, G64/01
• Original equipment for: Porsche 911/964 Carrera 4 AWD, 1989; 1991-1994
• Limited Slip Differential: Variable (0-100%) with longitudinal lock
• Weight (approx): 176lbs
• Oil Capacity (approx): 3.8L API classification GL5 75/90
• 1st gear 3.500
• 2nd gear 2.118
• 3rd gear 1.444
• 4th gear 1.086
• 5th gear 0.868
• Final drive 3.44, 7.5”

• Type: G50/52
• Original equipment for: Porsche 911/930/965 Turbo, 1991-1994
• Limited Slip Differential: 20/100% LSD standard equipment
• Weight (approx): 156lbs
• Oil Capacity (approx): 3.7L API classification GL5 75/90
• 1st gear 3.154
• 2nd gear 1.789
• 3rd gear 1.269
• 4th gear 0.967
• 5th gear 0.767
• Final drive 3.44, 9”
p0rschenut69
I have a G50 so was just trying to figure out how to make it fit on a T4.
Mark Henry
Good info...but you do realize this is a 15 year old thread. Soloracer lost interest in his 914 project and it was up for sale on kijiji last summer/fall. I believe it sold.

BTW I use G50 108mm CV's with swayaway axles and early 70's hubs and stubs.
p0rschenut69
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 1 2021, 07:40 AM) *

Good info...but you do realize this is a 15 year old thread. Soloracer lost interest in his 914 project and it was up for sale on kijiji last summer/fall. I believe it sold.

Just thought I would add what I learned so far about fitting my G50/03. What kind of engine are you running with your G50?
mepstein
It seems as though fitting a Boxster trans will be the way to go once Clay finalizes the starter motor adapter.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 1 2021, 11:17 AM) *

It seems as though fitting a Boxster trans will be the way to go once Clay finalizes the starter motor adapter.

I have the starter motor figured out and working. With Covid, building the kits is on hold.

Plus, if you put a Boxster/Cayman engine on a Chevy, you don't nee my starter adapter. The starter attaches to the engine.

Clay
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 2 2021, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(p0rschenut69 @ Feb 1 2021, 12:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 1 2021, 07:40 AM) *

Just thought I would add what I learned so far about fitting my G50/03. What kind of engine are you running with your G50?

I don't...just stating trivia that I run the CVs from a G50 on my early 70's 108mm rear hubs and stubs.
I have a 914 (901) trans and a 3.0 /6.

But I have rebuilt severial G50's, and I've played with a flipped G50 (for a super kit car, ultima?, whatever I didn't care), so I'd personally go Clay's route with a boxster trans.
Mark Henry
dp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.