Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Squeaky race bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John G
Hello all!

Just got a screamin deal on a former race car that is still very streetable. Needs some cosmetics.

This thing has been WAY lowered (about 2.5" ground clearance), 930 suspension and brakes all around with boxed trailing arms. Handles great, but....

The PO told me that the car has squeaky urethane race bushings... and by squeaky, this thing sounds like a rusty garden gate sometimes.

Now for the NOOB question: Can this be fixed? I don't want passengers to wonder if the car is falling apart. What are the best options for performance without squeak?

Also, what is the mechanical function of a race bushing? I know it's in the suspension, but I am not sure where or what these things do.

John
Brad Roberts
OK. Not quite sure were to start..LOL

It is the suspension STICKING then breaking loose that causes the squeaking.

Now for the fix:

Take them out and install Elephant Racing Poly Bronze bushings or grease them every so often.

All of it requires some serious amounts of labor.

B
John G
Brad,

Thank you for the uber-fast reply!

Thanks for letting me know what is going on. I'm not afraid of the labor time as long as I know what to do. Do you think replacing or lubing the bushings is a job for professionals, or can a noob like me pull it off without screwing up too badly? :-)

Until I learn how to work on this beast, I'm afraid I am going to be paying professionals to fix my attempts at fixing. beer.gif

John
Brad Roberts
The biggest issue is aligning the car afterwards.

You have to completely diassemble the front and rear suspension and pull all the plastic bushings out/off to put grease on them. This is why i suggested the Poly setup for you. He designed them with grease slots so you could install Zirk fittings and grease them like a "Merican" car suspension. They wont squeak and they wont stick. The whole idea is to have a suspension system that does not stick.

B
Dave_Darling
Or, if the store ever shows back up again poke.gif you could possibly install roller bearings.

--DD
ChrisFoley
If you would feel better knowing an experienced hand did this for you, then you can send your suspension components to me. I will install high quality delrin bushings with grease zerks so they can be re-lubed without disassembly. They will fit precisely and won't squeek. The cost, including shipping, is less than the price to buy a set of roller bearings.
Check out my Suspension Webpage and email me if you are interested in more information.
Brett W
raise the car up so you get back necessary suspension travel and correct the suspension geometry.

I wouldn't bother with anything but monoballs or roller bearings. There is just no substitute.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.