Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Holy Grail of 914 Limited Editions: FOUND
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
I have a thousand thoughts going through my mind right now...trying to be rational...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...bayphotohosting
anthony
Am I reading correctly - that this is the 100,000 914 off the line? It sure doesn't look like a car with 15,000 original kilometers.
Aaron Cox
the translated ad:

Hello, you offer ran on a real rarity on a Porsche 914 2.0 with 100 HP the vehicle first 15000 km and are since the new purchase 1974 in families possession calculations available.  I would swear to lets myself the slight mileage under oath moreover the nachvollziehen good at the condition the vehicle.  And now the hammer comes is it the 100000th Porsche.(Jubiläumsmodell).  Predominantly has in the garage stood is therefore its condition for its age very well littler blemishes remained naturally not out of the varnish is original littler rust place be at - under the doors. at the Schwellerabdeckungen. (Schweller itself are O.K.).In the intervals the sleep eyes the subsoil is first creme.  The fenders share no Rostaufblühungen.  The varnish itself partially somewhat more bluntly became clean would have are to be looked at runs now all rust place that I in that discovered harmless and only cosmetic motor good, would have to be adjusted however.  The vehicle is shuten down since 1999.  New full expert opinion needs therefore and tüv a beforehand examination specifically is desired.  Registration and questions gladly under Tel 0171,240,250,6. After the new determinations, the vehicle will auction without guarantee.  It concerns was should be probably the special model- (Sondermodell Edition), what exclusively for the US-market certainly levy ca. 1000 pieces of it then certainly not exact the 100,000 VW Porsche.  Would become in the next days in Porsche more exactly inquire me.  

whoa blink.gif
JeffBowlsby
What were marketed in the USA as the 1974 Limited Editions, were known as the 914GT in Europe. They were promoted in the USA linked to the CanAm racing series, but in Europe they were tied to the 100,000 914 produced, a milestone (Jubilaum) achieved in May 1974. This car has a medallion with that 100,000 demarcation. This is a very rare car.

As far as I have been able to determine the 914GT never made it into production in Europe...just a few prototypes. Instead they were transformed for the USA market, given the negative side stripes and we know them as the 914 Limited Edition.

My 914GT poster is likely of this very same Bumblebee car or one of its close siblings. The poster promotes the 100,000 914 made and describes the cars availability in either a black-yellow or white-red color schemes.

This is the only 914GT I have seen to date...
robby750
It has your name all over it. Go for it! smilie_flagge6.gif
redshift
Hey man, it's the one you want Jeff.

smile.gif

You gonna get it?

M
Joe Bob
17K for an opening bid.....?

Yeah right......I don't care if the Porsche Heir to the Kingdom was conceived on the front hood.....WAY too much.
URY914
I can see the grin on your face from here.

Paul
redshift
QUOTE(mikez @ Oct 12 2003, 03:44 PM)
I don't care if the Porsche Heir to the Kingdom was conceived on the front hood..

hahaha

It's all relative... no, it really is *all relative*..

I am from Georgia.

laugh.gif

M
Chris H.
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 12 2003, 11:48 AM)
I can see the grin on your face from here.

Paul

Yeah I think we have a winner!

Now let's not get rational on this whole thing Bowlsby, just BUY IT!
Part Pricer
What's the big deal?

I've got one of those too. Except, mine is white and green. wink.gif
JeffBowlsby
This car sure is getting alot of attention...

When I first saw it 90 minutes ago it had 275 hits.

Now the counter has 300 more than that.

I will be not surprised if the new buyer isnt headed to Berlin right now loaded with euros...I don't have a chance fellas...

and I will be surprised if the auction goes to the end of the 9 days.

This car belongs in the Porsche museum and will probably be sold privately.
Jeroen
Jeff,

You need to read the ad very good!

The last line states that he doubts it is the exact 100.000th car produced and that he still need to verify with Porsche about that!!!

Still not a bad price... that's what any good /4 costs you here now a days

If you are seriously concidering this car, I suggest you contact Arno (they guy who sold you the poster). He is a German by origin and he is knowledgeable enough to inspect the car for you.

Rational? There is absolutely nothing rational about any 914, so you are excused biggrin.gif
I guess you could buy a sixer for that money in your neck of the woods, but hey... if this is where your heart is...

I think that before you have this car in your driveway, you'd be out for well over 20K though

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
Jereon, Why don't you buy it?? That way when I come visit you we have a cool 914 to drive around in. Good idea?

laugh.gif
See ya in a couple of weeks even if you don't buy this car.

Geoff driving.gif
Jeroen
Hmmm... a teener I can drive... Now that's a new concept!
Give me some time to get used to the idea biggrin.gif

Remind me to PM you my phone#s before you leave

cheers,

Jeroen
SirAndy
that looks very promising. what's the VIN on that car? anyone?
it sure looks like the euro spec GT on bowlsby's poster.

damm, that would be nice!
and than put flares on it and bigger tires and convert it to a 3.2 /6 ...
j/k

Andy
Lotus914
Seems like a lot of money though apparently the schwellers are OK.
Curvie Roadlover
Nice, but I have to admit, when I saw "Holy Grail of Limited Editions" in the thread title, I thought it would be a Grasshopper!!! In't that the true Holy Grail of LE's?
Bleyseng
Curvie, I thought the same thing! but I didn't post to break Bowlsby bubble. This is a nice car and hope Jeroen buys it just so we can drive around in it next week! Jeroen, you can resell it after I leave!

Geoff
JeffBowlsby
Andy contacted the seller (Danke Andy!) and he has just responded with this meesage:

"Hallo Andy,
auch schöne Grüsse nach Kalifornien.Ich war selber auch schon 3 mal bei Euch.Kalifornien
ist der Hit.
Gerne beantworte ich Deine Fragen:
Fahrzeug Nr. 4742916276
Türrahmen-Kodierung:1319532 ( Karossierie Nr.-)
Datum May 20 - 1974: Ist der Tag der ersten Zulassung
Vergaser: 1
Motor Nr.- : habe ich noch nicht gefunden.Bitte sage mir wo ich die Nr. am Motorblock finden kann.
Nr. auf der Sondermodellplakette im Innenraum: 027
Spezielle Dokumente?: Nur den normalen Kaufvertrag von VW Porsche

Bilder hänge ich hinten dran.

Viele Grüsse Bernhard"

Translation please?

The VIN and chassis plate indicate it was one of the last cars in the 914 LE series to be made...not one of the first....

There are USA 914 LE cars with later VINs and chassis numbers.

This car was made only to commemorate the 100,000th 914 built, not that it necessarily was the exact 100,000th built, although it might have been.

What does the rest of it say Andy?

He aslo included a few pictures...I wsill post at lunch time....This Euro car should have had a GB code engine with dual carbs...it is fuel-injected and there is more...

I may have other questions about this car...
SirAndy
ok, here is some more info:

> Fahrzeug Nr. 4742916276
VIN 4742916276

> Türrahmen-Kodierung:1319532 ( Karossierie Nr.-)
chassis #: 1319532

> Datum May 20 - 1974: Ist der Tag der ersten Zulassung
date of initial registration

> Vergaser: 1
1 Carb wink.gif he obviously doesn't know he has fuel injection ...

> Motor Nr.- : habe ich noch nicht gefunden.
> Bitte sage mir wo ich die Nr. am Motorblock finden kann.
he doesn't know where to look for the engine number on the 2.0L case.

> Nr. auf der Sondermodellplakette im Innenraum: 027
now this is interesting. the car has a badge in the inside that identifies it as a special LE model. the number on that is 027

> Spezielle Dokumente?: Nur den normalen Kaufvertrag von VW Porsche
no other special documents with the car other than the bill of sales from porsche.

and here are some more pix:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

no-retracteable seat-belts in a 74???
Andy
Bleyseng
also kind regards after Kalifornien.
Ich was already 3 time with you California is the hit. Gladly I answer your questions:
Vehicle NR. 4742916276
Tuerrahmen-Kodierung:1319532 (Karossierie No. -) date May 20 - 1974:
The day of the first permission is carburetor: 1 engine
No. -: I have not yet find please legend me where I the No. at the engine mount to find can.
No. in the special model plaque in the interior: 027 special documents?:
Only the normal sales contract of VOLKSWAGEN Porsche
I hang pictures in the back to.
Many greetings Bernhard "

Babelfish translation

Geoff
I see in the pics that the engine shelf is rusty so I wonder how bad the hell hole is?
I like the six deposit instead of the 2.0l center console!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 13 2003, 11:08 AM)
Babelfish translation

outsch blink.gif
Bleyseng
Makes about as much sense as me reading the German!! lol
SirAndy
Mr. Bowlsby,

could you just use the production numbers for each year and add them up until you hit this VIN and see if it adds up to exactly 100000 !?!?

Andy
Bleyseng
By VIN its short by about 5000 cars. Adding up the Vins thru 73 is 78,783+ this car = 95,059. Even adding in the six cars its 2000 short.

Geoff

Must be German Math! laugh.gif
SirAndy
if i do the math and just use /4 numbers i get:

70 = 13312
71 = 16231
72 = 21580
73 = 27660

sub-total = 78783

plus his VIN (4742916276)

78783 + 16276 = 95059

that is almost 5000 short of the 100000 ...
even if i add the 3111 /6 made, i only get to 98170, which is still not enough.

according to my calculations, #100000 should have the VIN 4742921217 !!!!

Andy
Jeroen
Wow, that interiour sure looks new!

cheers,

Jeroen
Bleyseng
Its got your name on it, Jeroen!
JeffBowlsby
More on the additional photos Bernhard sent of the 914 GT. Note the unusual things:

* Commemorative medallion on the foredash
* Early style center console (which then required the combo gauge with the oil temp), no clock, no voltmeter.
* D-Jet fuel injection –wasn’t that USA-only equipment?
* Targa bar vinyl unlike USA 914 LE cars
* Corduroy seat inserts
* Early style seatbelts
* Salt and pepper carpeting pattern typical of the 1975 cars.

The VIN and chassis numbers indicate this car was produced at the end of the Limited Edition series run…in fact most 914 LE cars had left the factory by the time this car was built. It is clearly a unique car, and likely is the same car in the 914 GT poster.

As to it being the 100,000 car (or near it) I think its right on. Ludwigsens book says that the 100,000 914 was produced in May 1974. this cart fits.

As to the number 027...that is now a new mystery...so what were there 26 (and more) others of these commemorative cars.

I would sure like to see a copy of that original Bill of Sale.
Jeroen
I have the contact info form the guy who does the argives in Stuttgart
I met him in 2001... crap where are your business cards when you need 'em
I'll see if I can dig it up... he should be a good source for answers if this is THE car...

Ask the seller for the licenceplate nr.
Chances are slim, but it could still carry the same licence as the car in the poster
Not quite sure how the licence plates work in Germany, but IIRC they come and stay with the car. OTOH, it could be "just" a licenceplate from the factory to put the car on the road for the photo shoot...

cheers,

Jeroen
JWest
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Oct 13 2003, 11:12 AM)
* D-Jet fuel injection –wasn’t that USA-only equipment?

I think the only factory carbs in a 914/4 were on the 1.8 Euros. 1.7s and 2.0s were D-jet for the whole world.
SirAndy
license plates are different for each city/county. so, unless the car NEVER left stuttgart (indicated by the leading S in the poster pic), it won't have the original plate anymore ...

Andy
Jeroen
Jeff,

Klaus Parr is the guy you should talk to...
You might be interested in a talk with him anyway.
I'll try to find his phone#

cheers,

Jeroen
SirAndy
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Oct 13 2003, 12:12 PM)
It is clearly a unique car, and likely is the same car in the 914 GT poster.

jeff,
the car in the poster still has the holes in the front bumper for mounting the "tits".
the car for sale doesn't ...

Andy
JeffBowlsby
This eBay car cannot be the same as the poster car...the rims are painted differently. The poster car wheels are fully painted and the rims are silver on this eBay car. Maybe there were 27 or more of these commemorative cars?

Also, Andy can you contact the seller again for more information? My tab keeps growing...

* Describe where to find the engine and trans. numbers
* Size (diameter) of the 100,000 medallion and a better (in-focus) close-up photo of it.
* What dealership was it sold through
* Who was the first owner?
* A clear photo of the original Bill of Sale?
* Cardex? Has the owner any knowledge of any others of its type? (Is this #27 of__?)
* Did it have any special options?

You're the best Sir Andy...
davep
(INTRO: for my first post I thought to introduce myself ; Dave Pateman, Burford, ON, Canada. I supplied Jeff with my original list of 70 or so Limiteds to help seed his list for the website. PCA member since 1976, former President of Upper Canada Region. Owner of 4742915749, and a 73 2.0)

Never in my dreams did I think we would see all this interest in the Limited Edition. We certainly need more info on this German example to understand where it fits into the scheme of things. There VIN does not seem to be late enough, however it may be that it was prepared in advance for the day that the actual 100000 unit was produced. I do remember a friend having a badge on the dash of his Limited, but I think it was a dealer installed item to personalize the car for him. Having remembered that, I will have to contact him and learn a bit more. I sure hope that we can keep track of this car.

DaveP
SirAndy
they obviously made at least 27 in european trim.
up until now, we thought the "Jubilaeums GT" was actually never sold in germany.

jeff, wouldn't it be nice to get your hands on it and dig deeper smile.gif
Andy
Jeroen
Jeff,

I really searched for a direct # for Klaus Parr, but can't seem to find it...
Call this number instead: (+49) 711 911 8014
You will get the Club Coordination. They all speak English there
Ask them for Herr Parr's number (he's at the archive)
This guy has access to every piece of paperwork Porsche ever produced

Oh... and mind that it's about 8 to 9 hours later here than it is at your place biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Charles Deutsch
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 13 2003, 11:21 AM)
Must be German Math! laugh.gif

The Germans used to be very good at math. Open up any math book and look for the names in the index.
Scott Carlberg
and it's got a Square, RED ignition key.

Mine is Round & Black, my ignition key that is! laugh.gif
Jeroen
they all came with a black and a red key AFAIK
One is the valet key (won't open trunks or glovebox)

cheers,

Jeroen
JeffBowlsby
I will call Herr Parr in the next few days, thanks Jeroen for the info.

Welcome also to Dave Pateman...!!! cool.gif

Daves list of 914 VINS and othe data is extensive and growing. His work inspired the LE Registry on my website and provided many of the listings.

Dave is a wealth of knowledge about 914s, factory protocols, and history and I hope we can convince him to hang around and share.

This is a great BBS...
Dave_Darling
All 1.7 and 2.0 914s (well, all the 2.0 four-cylinder cars) came with D-jetronic FI.

This is indeed an interesting find!

Dave P, welcome to the BBS. I am also surprised to find so much interest in the LE cars. I think Jeff is mainly responsible for it, as his registry of and posts about them have brought these cars to peoples' attention. smile.gif

Not that that's a bad thing!

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.