Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear reversing? What gives?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DORIGTT
Who can 'splain dis to me?

I've read about some gears for sale which are reversed 4th and 5th gears. How does this work? Aren't the gears the same forward and reverse? How does it get assembled and work?

Thanks folks
Aaron Cox
lets say you have ratio X:Y

and you flip them on to the other shaft now you have Y:X
(12:34 is NOT the same as 34:12)

you can flip 3rds to 5ths... and 5ths to thirds....

or, 904 second gears to 4ths' and 4ths to 904 mainshaft seconds....

a 911/901 5 speed has 2nd gear attached to the mainshaft, ala, it doesnt come off.. a 904 mainshafts is splined all the way thru.... ala removable 2nd gears
SirAndy
QUOTE(DORIGTT @ Jul 13 2006, 02:04 PM) *

Who can 'splain dis to me?

I've read about some gears for sale which are reversed 4th and 5th gears. How does this work? Aren't the gears the same forward and reverse? How does it get assembled and work?

Thanks folks

for each "gear", let's say 5th, you actually have 2 gears, one on each shaft that are together. they have different tooth-counts. the two together give you your gear-ratio for that specific "gear".

however, you can change gear-ration by using gears from other "gears" and by flipping them around, effectively changing your gear-ratio ...

makes sense?
smile.gif Andy
lapuwali
You take the gear pair and reverse which shaft they're on. So, you could, for example, take a G gearset (18:33), and flip it around to make a 33:18, which is taller than the tallest off the shelf gearset (ZD, 31:22).
DORIGTT
I see!

That's pretty cool! I'm going to see what ratios I come up with in my 914/11 trans.

While we're at it, what tranny's did the M and X etc gearsets come from?

Aaron Cox
M and X....

i know X came in a few 912's... maybe M also...

they are kinda short.
lapuwali
M is a flipped ZA. X is an overdrive gear (like usually a 5th). It's fractionally taller than the V used as 4th in the 914 gearbox.
TimT
While were talking gears, which gearset came with a '75 914?

I need to build a long track box for my car (my 911) the box I built is kinda short AFKQV, I want to build a AFMSX box that I can swap for longer tracks.

I have 2 914 side shifters sitting on a shelf, and a pair of 901 boxes and a few boxes full of gears that I can go through to get the parts I need

After I build a new box for myself, I will be having an "inventory reduction sale" on my spare gearsets... av-943.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(TimT @ Jul 13 2006, 03:02 PM) *

While were talking gears, which gearset came with a '75 914?

I need to build a long track box for my car (my 911) the box I built is kinda short AFKQV, I want to build a AFMSX box that I can swap for longer tracks.

I have 2 914 side shifters sitting on a shelf, and a pair of 901 boxes and a few boxes full of gears that I can go through to get the parts I need

After I build a new box for myself, I will be having an "inventory reduction sale" on my spare gearsets... av-943.gif

all 4 cyl 914's were A F N V ZD iirc
al sixes were A GA N V ZA? i think
Bleyseng
M and S gears were in 912 5 speed boxes and make for a nice close ratio box for street or AX ing. I kept the ZD for the freeway.
Dave_Darling
The Four and Six had identical 1st and 4th gears; the rest were different. 2nd and 3rd were taller in the Six box, 5th was shorter.

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/901&915ratios.htm

--DD
marks914
I run:

F
Flip V
Flip N
Flip H

Its a nice tall set.
Mark

There is a chart I did a while ago somewhere on the board.
jimkelly
chart on aaron cox blog : )

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?auto...ach&id=3082

gear ratio gear set gear ratios gearsets tranny gears
Bleyseng
old pic of flipping 3rd and 5th
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 13 2006, 07:04 PM) *

i forgot about that LOL
Trekkor
M-S-X... chowtime.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.