Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 transmission question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poohsan
Is may seem like a simple question but…

When down shifting should I be able to shift into 1st gear with out coming to a full stop. Currently I can not down shift into 1st while I am rolling. My buddy insists that this is normal and the way the transmission should behave. He is referencing 1970’s Volkswagens.

Could some one please provide the correct information? I’m starting to debug my first 914 and don’t really want to chase my tail.

Thanks!

Arron
SirAndy
QUOTE(poohsan @ Jul 13 2006, 06:19 PM) *

When down shifting should I be able to shift into 1st gear with out coming to a full stop. Currently I can not down shift into 1st while I am rolling. My buddy insists that this is normal and the way the transmission should behave. He is referencing 1970’s Volkswagens.

mine shifts into first just fine while the car is still rolling. in fact, most of the time, getting into first is easier with the car still rolling ...

welcome.png Andy

PS: your car *is* a 1970’s Volkswagens biggrin.gif
poohsan
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 13 2006, 06:23 PM) *

mine shifts into first just fine while the car is still rolling. in fact, most of the time, getting into first is easier with the car still rolling ...

welcome.png Andy

PS: your car *is* a 1970’s Volkswagens biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reply. I'll start looking for the problem. No volkswagen here smile.gif

Arron
rktmn247
I can do it when still moving some of the time. Other times I get a slight grind.
Dave_Darling
When the synchros, sliders, and dog teeth for 1st gear are in good shape you should be able to downshift into 1st while rolling. As the parts wear, it becomes more difficult. If you match revs pretty closely, though, you should be able to get into 1st while moving even with a rather worn transmission.

If I recall correctly, some of the early VWs had non-synchro 1st gears, which could be what your friend is thinking of. I believe those were gone by the 70s, though. (Heck, some very early VWs had no synchros at all! Those transmissions are called "crash-boxes", for pretty obvious reasons.)

--DD
TROJANMAN
i never could downshift to first while rolling.........

until i replaced my first gear a few weeks ago smile.gif
poohsan
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jul 14 2006, 01:51 PM) *

If you don’t mind my asking how much did it cost to replace?
BMartin914
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Jul 14 2006, 12:51 PM) *

I can downshift into 1st while rolling, but I need a new slider and dogteeth as well. Likes to grind into R and 1st...sometimes.

Retail for the slider/dogteeth replacement, I think you are looking at around $700 in parts. There are some folks on this site that have discounted parts available. Greg paid less than $700 for parts, but I'm not exactly sure how much.
ConeDodger

Is may seem like a simple question but…

Could some one please provide the correct information? I’m starting to debug my first 914 and don’t really want to chase my tail.

Thanks!

Arron

My new to me 6, the Bumble Bee Racer will downshift all day to first without a problem. My 4 is a bit finicky. You have to bring the shifter right to the door so to speak and then match the revs and gently pressure it in to first.

I am sure they are both worn. I will have them both rebuilt over the next couple of years. Hey... Maybe Dr. Evil will do his residency in Northern California! He would be a very busy guy in the heart of 914 country!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.