Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heating/cooling layout for '74 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rditech
Hello i was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction to a layout for the blower/hoses running off the heat exchangers. It appears my passenger side vertical elbow goes up to... nothing but my blower motor only has one attachment not like others i've seen. WTF.gif just trying to put the little monster back together...it's been 3 weeks mad.gif
thanks
ryan
Joe Owensby
My 1973 1.7 originally had a blower motor on the driver's side with a flex hose that connected it to the heat exchanger through a hold in the engine sheet metal. The passenger's side of the car just had a cap over the opening in the top of the sheet metal around the engine. To increase the heating on the passenger side of the car, I just inserted a "Y" fitting in the hose, and had the blower blowing air to both sides of the heat exchanger. I have seen photos of some cars that had two blowers, but I am not sure if that was stock on some models or not. Joe O.
Dave_Darling
The 70-72 cars had a more or less centrally-mounted heater blower fan with two outlets on it. One hose went to each of the J-tubes that go down through the engine tin.

The 73-74 cars had the blower fan moved to the left side of the engine bay, and it only had a single outlet. There was only one hose connected, and it ran to the driver's side J-tube. The passenger's side J-tube had a plastic cap on top of it. (This sounds exactly like what you've got.)

The 75-76 cars had the same heater blower, but there was a splitter on the outlet of the fan. One hose ran to each J-tube.

I got a (used) splitter from Rich at High Performance House a bunch'a years ago, about the same time I put SSIs on my 74 2.0. Now I have more than enough heat for N. Cal. On my old 74 1.8, someone had used a PVC plumbing T and just laid it on top of the engine with the hoses connected to it. I think I'd prefer a "Y" fitting, and I'd try to put it up somewhere more out of the way if I went the Home Depot (AKA "Trekkor Special" wink.gif ) route.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.