Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone using a grinder to strip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bustruscket
I was grinding the rust out of my longs, when I got the notion to keep going. Has anyone done this with decent results? The hypothesis would be that a brass cup would generate less heat than a sanding disk. Any thoughts.

I should also state that my homebuilt air compressor is a little on the whimpy side. Quincy pump 3.8 scfm @ 100 psi. (probably not enough to run a d/a)

Thoughts and criticism (on the idea) are welcome.

thanks bryan.

This is my second post. Please be patient.
tdgray
Not a good idea... you'll have so many deep scratches it will kill the body.

If you do not think you compressor is up to running a DA then purchase a inexpensive (read not cheapy) electric orbital sander with a soft hook and loop pad.

You can usually get a 6 inch pad. Use AUTOMOTIVE sandpaper, hook and loop style. I recommend Norton papers as they are my brand of choice.
Matt Romanowski
DON"T USE A GRINDING DISK!!!!

I think you're talking about a wire brush, which would be ok as long as you don't get the metal too hot. I prefer using a large DA (~10") and course paper (36-80 grit) to do the initial removal, followed by a finish with less course paper until you are down to bare metal.

Matt
lotus_65
i used the grinder (with a wire brush) a lot when i was working over my engine compartment and my rocker panels. along with aircraft stripper, por products and god knows what else.

i can't say the grinder was better for me, but it sure was faster! anywhere i thought was critical, i sanded afterwards for a better look. i wasn't doing a concourse job though and i had little patience for the project after a while...

still, it turned out pretty good.
smdubovsky
Eastwood has a brillow pad type paint stripper (probably a 3M or notron product) that goes on a RA grinder. Supposedly works well.

SMD
TimT
Eastwood has a brillow pad type paint stripper (probably a 3M or notron product)

yes you can get these to mount on air or electric grinders. Use a coarse Scotch-brite type disc, theses dont load up with paint and goo, dont impart alot of heat into the parts, and last pretty long.

That compressor is wimpy for driving constant duty air tools.

This is an example of a suitable disc
lotus_65
oh yea, i used them too. they werked gud...
bustruscket

Sorry to post and run, I got called in to work. 914 q.t. cut short. (so sad)
Anyway thanks to all who replied. Sounds like the random orbit is the way to go. I may wind up doing a culmination of scotch bright, wire wheel, and r/o. Did i mention that the previous owner forgot to use primer....excluding the trunks.
thanks again for the insight. Experience outweighs opinion everytime. -b
Chogokin
Hey, I stripped 2/3 of my car to steel with those stripper pads took forever wacko.gif .. went to Wally World and got a quart of paint stripper and a putty knife for a total of $10 and finished the last 3rd in a day and half. beer.gif
McMark
You only thought it was a day and a half because of the fumes. You were really out there for a week. lol2.gif J/K
Chogokin
lol I did it outside so the neighbors got all the good effects icon8.gif happy11.gif but it was fast! even took out all the old bondo!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.