Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horn sounds when I step on the brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
Not really... but something similar. When I step on the brake, it cuts the current to the guages. Gas, Tach, Speedo...they all shut off. I just bought this car and haven't dug into it yet. I was told by the po that someone had installed BMW brakes on the front. Maybe they also put in a 19mm master cylinder. Not sure.
Has anyone had this happen to them? Should I look at the master cylinder and check all the connections for a short circuit? Where else could the trouble be?
I want to get this car ready to AX on the 30th, but the problem list seems to be getting bigger. It's good to be back in the 914 world tho.
grantsfo
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jul 14 2006, 10:37 AM) *

Not really... but something similar. When I step on the brake, it cuts the current to the guages. Gas, Tach, Speedo...they all shut off. I just bought this car and haven't dug into it yet. I was told by the po that someone had installed BMW brakes on the front. Maybe they also put in a 19mm master cylinder. Not sure.
Has anyone had this happen to them? Should I look at the master cylinder and check all the connections for a short circuit? Where else could the trouble be?
I want to get this car ready to AX on the 30th, but the problem list seems to be getting bigger. It's good to be back in the 914 world tho.

Are all your fuses good? Funky stuff happens when all fuses arent good and in place sometimes.

Dr Evil
The break switch is a ground path for that circuit. Somehow your gauges are either getting power form that circuit or a ground. Time to reads the spaghetti (wiring diagram) and use your meter biggrin.gif
scrz914
The break switch is a ground path for that circuit

Yeh, sounds like the po may have miss wired something. I'll go through and check the diagram, cleanup connections, and put in new fuses. The car had sat for awhile so that doesn't help.
Let the fun begin. smash.gif
BenT
I have a similar problem. Everytime some jerk pulls in front of me going 30 miles per hour slower.Horn goes off just as I hit the brakes. The steering wheels mysteriously jerks to the right; then to the left; followed by the universal salute. happy11.gif

BenT
Dave_Darling
Fuse. I forget which one, probably #8 or #9. Pull each fuse out (one at a time so you can get them back in the right spots!!) and inspect it. Betcha one of 'em falls apart while you're removing it.

--DD
eg914
It is almost deffinately fuse 8 or 9, though I don't remember which. I had this happen to me on the way home from work on day. You also don't have brake lights when this fuse goes!
Brando
Your horn goes off when you hit the brakes? That's one hell of a practical joke...
Rand
Haha. I was thinking you should swap the wires and make it so the horn honks when you step on the gas!!

DAVE!! You pulled in that classic birthday photo for your avatar!! laugh.gif Nice.

I've been trying to compile a *complete* fuse chart for a while. So far, the best I have is this.
BGman
I had a similar thing happen- but it wasn't with those particular guages....

It came down to having some wires having worked their way between the floor plate which holds the pedal assembly (I had replaced the original wood w/ a metal one with semi-sharp edges) and then them shorting against the body of the car.

Dunno if it could be a similar problem....worth a check.
scrz914
This is what I did.
Took out all the fuses (oops, wish I had seen Dave's response first) and cleaned them. They're all pretty old, one in particular was corroded. I didn't have any spares to use so I will have to go buy new ones. Which brings me to this question: what fuse rating goes where? Is there a chart for this?
I looked at the master cylinder and everything looked okay there. I did notice a red wire coming out of the same hole as the brake line to the back which was actually cloth wrapped (like a fuel line). This was not connected to anything. I'll try to get pix of this.
Also, I noticed that the ground strap above the tranny came from the body down to the tranny ears. I thought this connected on top of the tranny.
Anyways, the first step will be to get new fuses.
Thanks for the responses. clap56.gif
Rand
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Jul 14 2006, 10:07 PM) *

what fuse rating goes where? Is there a chart for this?

Check my previous post. I snuck in a link to a fuse chart.
scrz914
Oh thanks. I can't believe I missed that. That will help.
scrz914
Just to update. I put in all new fuses per Rand's chart. This did the trick. Now the guages don't cut out when I step on the brakes. And bonus, I have turn signals. The only bad thing is that now the flasher unit won't stop clicking, no lights, just clicking. One thing leads to another.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.