Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone in Colorado Springs know this 914-8 on ebay?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
Hey anyone know this car on Ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...TRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Just wondering if anyone had checked it out personally or knew who's car it was previously. They say it has no rust yet there is a nice piece of wood accross the rear of the trunk? Anyone close that wants to check it out for me?
JRust
Anyone know anything about it? Seems like somebody here out to know whoever did the conversion. Something? Anything?
TROJANMAN
looks like a nice car. we only have about 3 active members in the springs, and one just moved here from Cali.
TINCAN914
Do a search, there was a thred the other day about this. I think it was all speculation, I don't think anyone knew about it first hand..
SirAndy
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 14 2006, 12:15 PM) *

They say it has no rust yet there is a nice piece of wood accross the rear of the trunk?

that ain't no wood ... that's a stock foam pad. *every* 914 had one of those at one time ...

back in the 914 biz, eh? it's been a while ...
bye1.gif Andy
Andyrew
The dyno number is wrong fyi...

They calculated it on Desktop Dyno... Roughly accurate within %10.. If you put all the details in correctly...

I calculated it on my dyno2000, Assuming it wasnt smog heads, he's just under 350hp at the crank.. Thats also assuming he has a really good/matching cam, and its reving to 7k. Max tq was 310@ 4.5-5k rpms

Anyways... Do a search... We all discussed it. it is definately in need of things. I say its worth at least 5k if theres some rust, and the suspension and brakes need a little attention.. 7k is what I'd assume it to go for if it runs like a top....

andrew
plymouth37
that car will never EVER cool properly. trust me... never... ever....
SirAndy
no pedalboard!

confused24.gif Andy
JRust
Just as I remember! Great advice from all. I'm trying to get back in the game Andy. We'll see I'm just getting back on track. Kinda forgot how much I loved my 914. Took seeing a few driving down I5 last monday & getting back on here to lite my fire again. I don't think I'll be bidding on that 8 anyway. Looked a little intriuging but I think I'll just keep my eyes open for a solid 4. I'm not quite ready to throw out 4-5k yet otherwise I would buy Barret's. It is just a little tough forking out 5k when I sold mine for $6500. It was basically done just a few trinkets left. Of course I spent a hell of alot more doing it. I'm sure no one else has experienced that. Anyway Thanks for tips guys. I'll try to get on couple times a week until I actually buy one. Then I'm sure I'll be on nightly trying to figure out what the hecks wrong with it. Later guys- Jamie
Porsche Rescue
Make Barrett an offer he can't refuse. His car needs TLC but it is a solid car. You could do worse.
Brew
I just went and checked it out. It's not too shabby, but does need some work on the hell hole. He claims it runs about 190 degrees in traffic, as its got a fan on each side of the rad. He bought the car almost "as is", from someone in NorCal, Willow Springs maybe?

I think he said he was from Corvallis Oregon too.

LMK if there's any other specific info you need.
JRust
Hey Thanks for the heads up Drew. How did the conversion look. Did it look like it was done with the right parts or kind of a jerryrig. Looks pretty clean but how did it run? Did you get to hear it? How about drive it? I was curious if the tranny was redone or just stock. How bad was the hell hole? Could you tell if it was in the longs yet? I really appreciate you going buy to check it out. Probably not ready to get it with it ending tommorow anyway. Maybe it won't make it's reserve & I might have a shot at it later. Did he say what their reserve was? Thanks
Andyrew
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=55688&hl=

Theres the other thread...

Heres my take on it...

"Not getting 380hp with a 630 carb.

Probably a typo.. 280hp... Which seems about right for a high revving 283 with all the gizmo's.

If it were my car, I would..
strip the interior (blue is not a good color)
Get rid of the CF inserts
Replace with charcoal or black...
If the 4 lug is re drilled, leave it, if its adapters, go back to stock..
Clean up the front trunk, carpet=bad, Amp=bad
If the radiator exit is under the car, modify it to the wheel wells.
Put a painless wiring kit in it.
Put a freekin pedal board in it.
Solder on a top to the radiator fill.. extention... prevent air from getting in the system.
Optima battery with appropriate holder
Cut the reinforcement out of the rear engine lid.
Then change out all bushings, bearings, ect...

I could see it going for 5-7k... It looks like a good driver."
Andyrew
from here... the conversion looks to be done in the early 90's.
Not much thought put into overflow and reserve tank. That needs to be redone. (trust me)
The radiator must be a really good one... because a ground system radiator with as much flow as is through those 2 holes in the bumper are not doing a whole lot.. It will overheat on the freeway. But thats fixable.

3liter914-6
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 16 2006, 03:01 AM) *

Heres my take on it...

"Not getting 380hp with a 630 carb.

Probably a typo.. 280hp... Which seems about right for a high revving 283 with all the gizmo's.

a 630CFM might be a little small for 380hp, but it's definitely capable of getting into the ballpark. Certainly 350-360hp.

That being said, I don't disagree, there's no way he's making anywhere close to 380hp. Anytime I see a list of mods and a claimed hp figure without any mention of headwork or aftermarket castings the BS flag goes up.
Brew
The hell hole rust was just visible from the wheelwell, but didnt look to me like it wouldve been to the longs yet. It's got a 73 sideshift, dunno if it's a stock unit or not. I didnt get to drive it, it's not registered or insured. I didnt get to hear it run, though Larry offered, because he told me what the reserve was. ~ double Andyrew's estimate. Ouch.

BTW, the guys got another one too, 327 powered and also fairly nice, though it's not for sale.

If anyone is still interested, I'd be more than happy to take a closer look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.