Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog light switch and location?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I’m going to install fog lights soon.

I have the knob (heh-heh, heh-heh… he said knob) but I don’t have the switch. Is it the same switch as a 3-pole VW emergency flasher switch? Part number?

Also can someone measure the exact position for the switch on the dash for me?

Thanks, Mark beer.gif
Porsche Rescue
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think all dashes have the hole for the foglight switch. Remove the two screws holding the fuse/relay plate in place. It will drop down enough to allow you to look up with a flashlight and see the dash area from the rear (laying on your back). The vinyl trim is glued to a light metal plate which is then stuck to the dash with two-sided tape. There may even be a hole in the plate and you will only need to cut a hole in the vinyl. Possibly you can feel a hole in the metal with your finger from the outside.
Demick
I don't know about the switch itself. But as far as the hole goes, the location is already there - it's just covered by the basket weave dash front material. To the left of the steering wheel there are locations for 3 switches in a row. You probably have 2 installed. You can guess at where the 3rd will be - and just press the dash front material with your finger - you will feel the indent. Then just take a knife and cut out the dash face material where the hole is.

In my '74, all the wiring was already there. So I just had to plug in the connectors to the switch and then mount and plug in the fog lights. Really easy. I'm not sure if all years had the wiring installed in all cars though - you might not be as fortunate.

Oh - I also had to add the fog light relay to the top of the fuse panel since the relay was not installed (same round relay as is used everywhere else).

Demick
Mark Henry
My 914 is a ’74 so I’m glad to hear it’s pre-wired and I can feel the holes.
Thanks on the relay heads up, wouldn’t have thought of that one, probably would have rewired the lights. Doh!

Now, I just need a switch. I will dive into my parts boxes again on the weekend, maybe I just missed it the last time.

Thanks again.
Jeffs9146
I have a switch!

What's it worth to you?

Jeff
seanery
I have a switch, too!

but it's connected to a car, sorry.
Demick
The 914 fog light switch is indeed a 3 pole switch, but I have no idea if a VW hazard switch is compatible (the 914 hazard switch has like 6 poles on it or something, so the VW must be quite different).

The 914 fog light switches 3 poles are labeled K, 15, and 31. Under the dash in the general location of the switches, you will be looking for 3 unconnected wires (with connectors on the end). The brown wire will connect to terminal 31, the grey/red striped wire will connect to terminal K, and the brown/blue striped wire will connect to terminal 15.

If the VW switch fits into the dash in the same way, and is a lighted switch (and has 3 poles like you say), then you should be able to make it work - it just might take some figuring out which terminal is which if they are not labeled the same.

Good Luck
Demick

***This message was edited to correct a wire color (the dark blue / light blue striped wire was corrected to be a brown/blue striped wire).
Mark Henry
Demick, cool thanks you just answered my next questions!

I do indeed have a switch, as it is the exact same switch as a 914 rear window defroster switch. As I said I have the proper fog light knob. I also found a round relay. Sure am glad I bought a parts car.

I bet they are the same as the bug early gas heater and E. flasher switch. Why make a new switch, when you can just make a different symbol insert thingy. The relay is Porsche only.

Thanks again, Mark beerchug.gif
Brad Roberts
Damn Demick. You know your fog light crapola....

Can you start a new thread and tell us how to wire around the "high beam off" "feature" that Porsche installed for us ??

B
Demick
The high beam on/fog lights off 'feature' is an easy re-wire. You just have to remove a wire from a terminal on the headlight switch and ground it permanently (usually have to splice in some extra wire and ground it to the same place as a bunch of other grounds near the drivers side speaker panel). I'll have to dig through my notes at home for wire colors and what terminal on the headlight switch it comes from. Funny thing is, almost every year is slightly different. I was putting together some instructions for how to re-wire the fogs to go on anytime (or with parking lights) and stay on with high beams. I figured out every year except for the '75 and '76 cars which apparantly are wired differently. However, I think that the wiring diagrams may be incorrect for these years. I can't remember the details now (it's been awhile), but I couldn't make any sense of how the fog lights were wired and controlled from the wiring diagrams - and that's where I gave up and never finished the instructions.

Demick
Demick
Hmmmmm
I was just looking at the wiring diagrams from the factory manuals for a '75, and it appears identical to the '74. Before when I was doing this, I was using the wiring diagrams from the Haynes manual. So maybe the Haynes manual has something wrong with it's '75 wiring diagrams. I'll have to take a look when I get home.

Demick
Mark Henry
Yes, let me know when you find out which colour wire to ground. I may as well delete that 'feature' when I'm under the dash wiring my fog light switch.

914club rules!!! aktion035.gif mueba.gif clap56.gif
Jeffs9146
I would love to save some time and avoid having to read those diagrams also! I need to re wire my 74 fog lights and bypass the highbeam switch.

Jeff
seanery
Demick,

Could you just rewire mine for me biggrin.gif

I'm kinda lazy and just had to go find the dog after he got off his chain!

Scared the shit out of me!
Demick
OK. I did some digging through my notes, and verified that the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual for the 1975 (and '76 presumably) cars is incorrect. What Haynes shows is that there is no foglight switch, and that they fogs only go on when the headlights are on high beam! Never made any sense to me. But the wiring diagram in the factory manuals shows that the foglight circuit in the '75 and '76 cars is identical to the '74 models.

Anyway, Brad suggested that I explain how to rewire your car so the fog lights do not go off when the high beams are switched on, so here it is:

If your car is a '70 or '71, then I do not recommend that you try and make this change. These years have an additional relay called the 'combination relay' in addition to the regular relay which turns on and off the fog lights. There is not enough info in the wiring diagrams - so I could not fully understand how this combo relay works. Sorry!

For all other years, the modification is simple: 1. Disconnect the negative side of the battery. 2. Remove the fuse cover and remove the screws which hold the fuse block in place - pull down the fuse block and let it hang. 3. Find the white wire w/blue stripe going to the #1 fuse. This wire is coming from the the #85 terminal on the fog light relay (round black relay located on the far left side of the fuse block). This wire is probably joined together with other wires into a single spade connector. Be sure you have the correct wire - now carefully cut the wire as close to the end (spade connector) as possible leaving no part of the wire exposed (the part of the wire still attached to the spade connector will short out your electrical system if it is exposed and able to touch any other metal). Now you need to permanently ground this white/blue striped wire. You will notice that there is a ground connection located at the upper left side of the fuse block mount with a bunch of other brown wires held down by a 13mm nut. You may need to splice in a few inches if additional wire to reach this ground point. Crimp a solderless terminal which will fit over the ground stud onto the wire, and fasten it to the ground connection with the other wires. Now put the fuse block back in place, and hook up your battery. Your fog lights should now work with the high beams!

Over the next week or so, I'll try and write up the instructions for allowing your fog lights to turn on either anytime, or in conjunctinon with your running (parking) lights rather than only with the headlights. Instructions will cover all years (actually, '70 and '71 cars come from the factory with fog lights that can be turned on with the running lights), as each year is slightly different. When I get it all written up, I'll post a link in this forum.

Demick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.