Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installed Engine Today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mharrison
Here it is this morning:

IPB Image

Here it is now:

IPB Image

Axle shafts are hooked up, speedo and clutch cables are connected, Plan to put the heat exchangers, shift linkage, and Dells on tommorow. (I work at a bank and have the day off !!!!) I know the engine compartment looks terrible, but I haven't decided on a color yet. Factory is Irish Green, but with the flares and five lugs I'm going to add, what is the point in keeping the COLOR stock??? The engine compartment is currently Irish Red....Irish Green showing through the thin film of Red paint the PO splashed in there. I think he just took the lid off and threw the can towards the engine compartment.
echocanyons
Nice sparkley engine and trans!
Andyrew
Looks really nice! Now take it back out and paint the engine compartment! wink.gif

Looking good! Like the flat black!

Andrew
rhodyguy
well done. it shows you were hard at it today. damn clean eng and trans. irish green is a nice color tho, you don't see many 914's that color. seems like most people painted theirs white or red because those were the colors to have in the late 70's thru early 80's. the guards red, or something like it.

kevin
mharrison
Well, I have to admit, the paint I wound up using on the transmission last night at about 11pm was a little more metallic than I would have preferred. I like a good aluminum color paint, which I thought this was until I sprayed, but it was REALLY sparkling in the floodlights...While it was wet it looked almost like that Chrome paint that looks so crappy. Thankfully it flattened a little as it dried.

Seriously, I am going to pull it and paint the engine compartment. I promise!! sad.gif I know it looks like crap, but I'm still working on the color. confused24.gif
mharrison
Yeah, I thought REALLY hard about the Irish Green, but the only reason I was thinking of it is because that was the stock color. I tried and tried, but I just don't like it! confused24.gif
3d914
M,

Looks good, despite the rough paint. Just be sure to have the engine compartment facing OUT of the garage door when you run the engine for the first 20-minute warm-up. There will be enough fumes to gag you otherwise. Maybe even put a fan up front to blow air under the car while its running.

After my last rebuild I had fumes coming from painted exhaust, engine tin, and new muffler. Whhuuueee!

Keeps us posted on how the flares work out.
Charles Deutsch
The motor looks so much simpler with carbs. What are its specs?
JWest
I guess I better get those wheels packed up and sent - you're going to be needing them soon at this rate! clap56.gif

Actually, I'm sorry for the delay and I will try to get them out in the next couple days. smile.gif
mharrison
This started life in Germany as a 1.7. Here's what it is now.

Engine Specs:
Case cleaned, all mating surfaces smoothed, and line bored.
1.7 liter Big-Valve heads - 44mm x 38mm (2.0 Stock is42 mm x 36mm )
FORGED 94mm (stock 2.0 bore) New pistons & cylnders. Precision matched & balanced.
2.0 Crankshaft (stock 71mm stroke) balanced, reground & polished to OEM specs.
2.0 Connecting rods balanced, rebushed/sized and matched.
New WEB CAM # 86. .423 Lift / 270 Duration.
New Hardened Alloy Racing Lifters.
Flywheel Lightened by Four lbs.!
Dual Dellorto 40's!
Monza Manta Exhaust

I expect this to be a siginificant bump over the stock 1.7 with a single weber progressive.
Bleyseng
Be sure to get the A/F mix set right on those carbs by dyno tuning. Don't run it lean.

Looks very nice!

Geoff
Charles Deutsch
If you do the dyno testing, please post the graphs here.

I want to build a 96mm bore x 78mm stroke motor and use 42mm x 36mm heads from HeadFlowMasters. They advertise these heads in the latest HotVWs for $175 each but when I phoned them for a price on a pair of ported and polished versions of these heads I was told they are $1250! They only want $375 each for a ported and polished 48 x 38 head. Does anyone know if 48 x 38mm valves are too large for a 2258 cc motor with a Webcam 86a camshaft?
mharrison
I wouldn't think that 48x38 would be too big for that engine as long as you have enough carberation or a modded FI that would get enough fuel and air to it. That is a good size engine that would probably do really well with those heads...a real heavy breather..
Tom Perso
A set of 44x36 heads will do just fine from Headflow masters. My friend Grant got a set of those and they weren't $1200. I think 7 and change.

Oh, and not enough cam.

163/86b.

9-ish -1 C/R

Runs cool, gets good gas mileage and is not too hard to build.

Tunes pretty easily and idles @ 1000 rpm.

800rpm and she shakes a bit much.

Later,
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.