Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EFI for my 73 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hotlanta914
confused24.gif does anyone have a suggestion for replacing the stock mechanical fuel injection system with a modern EFI - don't want to go to carbs. Preference would be to end up with a complete, programable engine management system - including ignition - any suggestions?
DNHunt
There are a few choices. First decide how much time, money and effort you want to invest. Systems start with a diy product called Megasquirt. It takes lots of time and effort but, relatively less money. Then there are self installed but preassembled units like SDS, LinK, Emerald and more. Finally if you want to spend more and do little you can have any of the units professionally installed.

Unless you have made or are planning changes to the stock engine, it MAY still be easier and cheaper to repair the existing system. Take some time and do your homework before you jump.

Dave
type47
this is what i'm thinkin' for my next engine:

http://www.sdsefi.com/

So.Cal.914
There is no Mech fuel distributor on a 914. There is a control brain and electronic-

ly controled injectors. Some of the others have gone to a Megasquirt system.
DNHunt
Oh ya I've run Megasquirt for 3 years.

Dave
Cap'n Krusty
"Stock mechanical fuel injection"? A 73 2.0 has EFI. As a replacement, Megasquirt seems to be a favorite around here. The Cap'n
ottox914
Check out this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=53733

I did my research, and made my decision. You could get into the fuel only for under a grand. You'd have to run the standard dizzy ignition, but depending on your goals and budget, that may be good enough. From all the reading I've been doing, the tuneing looks to be a snap, with the WMS wideband, now that SDS has added some data logging to the package.

The SDS with the crank fired ignition will require more work to get the crank trigger set up fabricated and installed. We don't have alot of options on our motors, what with the fan on one end and the tranny on the other.

I'll be out of the garage with a ton of work for the next several weeks, but will be posting to the "SDS install" thread as things come togather.
Brad Roberts
Can we do a crnk trigger from the flywheel end with SDS?

B
blitZ
Welcome to the club, woo hoo another local Georgia owner.
ottox914
I plan to look that over also, but the clearance SDS wants to the hall sensor is mighty tight, on the order of 2-3mm as I would recall, so the mounting of the sensor might be interesting, in terms of finding a small, flat area. The mounting on the pulley has several advantages, mostly being that the pulley and fan shroud can be moved easily from one long block to another, where as if the flywheel is worn below tolerances and needs re-surfacing, you'd need to re-mount the mags all over again on the replacement flywheel. Not the worst job in the world, but I'd rather do it once than twice. Also, I'm not sure which area would be "cleaner", such that there would be less possibility of oil/dirt/stuff getting on or fouling the sensor.

Any thoughts?
nbscooters
drop in a 3.6 twin turbo and a motec and you should be fine.
Brad Roberts
All factory Porsches since 1984 or so have ran flywheel triggered Motronic (with 2-3mm air gap) The actual sensors are fairly cheap to come by.

I just find it easier to adjust/fiddle with *stuff* back by the bellhousing than things buried up near the fan shroud.

The flywheel sensor would/could be a tiny allen bolt threaded into the flywheel. Pretty easy.

B
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Jul 16 2006, 08:03 AM) *

I plan to look that over also, but the clearance SDS wants to the hall sensor is mighty tight, on the order of 2-3mm as I would recall, so the mounting of the sensor might be interesting, in terms of finding a small, flat area. The mounting on the pulley has several advantages, mostly being that the pulley and fan shroud can be moved easily from one long block to another, where as if the flywheel is worn below tolerances and needs re-surfacing, you'd need to re-mount the mags all over again on the replacement flywheel. Not the worst job in the world, but I'd rather do it once than twice. Also, I'm not sure which area would be "cleaner", such that there would be less possibility of oil/dirt/stuff getting on or fouling the sensor.

Any thoughts?

A Hall sensor is magnetic (well, uses a magnetic field...it ain't optical). 2-3mm distance, with accumulated debris, won't affect the sensor. That distance alone kinda helps everything "self clean" wink.gif
lapuwali
SDS is fairly inflexible on what it wants as a trigger. For a four, they'd want three magnets (bolts won't do, they use Hall sensors), two at TDC for each pair, and the last at 40 degrees BTDC for cylinder 1. The cylinder 1 magnet is flipped (N v. S), and there are two Hall sensors, one N activated, the other S activated.

Doing this on the flywheel would likely be possible, but there wouldn't be much advantage to doing so.

Brad Roberts
Gotcha. I didnt know what the SDS requirements where.

Now that I have access to a real chassis dyno (not DynoJet) down here, I'll start warming up again to aftermarket injection idea on 4 and 6cyl engines. I'm also going to need something for the Boxsters soon.

B
ottox914
The engine and trans are dropped, and the SDS goodies showed up friday. Just got back from a wedding & hangover over the weekend. I do plan to have a look at the flywheel as an option, as the SDS system will want to "see" the magnets, and if the hall sensor is burried in the fan housing, it'll be pretty hard to adjust the slotted sensor to make sure its centered on the mags. If there is a better way/place to mount it all, while allowing semi-easy (not dropping or tearing the motor appart) to make any adjustments needed, I'll look for it, and of course will be posting photos and FYI's to the install thread.
yarin
MEGASQUIRT!!

If you want to do it yourself, build it, install it, tune it.. i would go that route. Keep in mind its not plug and play. Also figure in $200 for an Innovative LC-1 wideband O2 sensor, they are awesome.

There is no need to go with crank triggering and all of that. Sky is the limit, but go one step at a time. I'm just running Fuel only and triggering off the coil. Soon i'll trigger off the dizzy and fire the coil with direct ignition so i can control spark. One thing at a time though.

Brad Roberts
The 914Club can sell a complete turnkey SDS solution with ignition for $1900.

This is everything you need to make a stock 2.0 run on modern technology.

New harness
New temp sensors
New throttle position switch
New coil setup
Crank trigger with brackets

Programming DONE for a 73+74 2.0

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.