Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relocated shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Mike T
I am a large guy and I find the stock shifter rubs my leg while competing. Has anyone relocated their shifter?

Perhaps an aftermarket solution?

Is there a Cable shifter for the 914 sideshift transaxle?

Mike T
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Mike T @ Jul 15 2006, 09:22 AM) *

I am a large guy and I find the stock shifter rubs my leg while competing. Has anyone relocated their shifter?

Perhaps an aftermarket solution?

Is there a Cable shifter for the 914 sideshift transaxle?

Mike T

Check out the 5th photo in MY BLOG under HRS West Vintage Racing to see a custom shifter made by Frank Beck. Probably not a solution for a street car, but interesting.
EMRoadster
Mike,
I've been told an early Toyota MR2 shifter assembly works well.
Here is some info I've found while surfing for info for my car.

This one was home made:
http://www.etischer.com/914cableshift.html

This one from Renegade Hybreds has a fantastic feel like a very good top load Japeneese trans. I was there back in April for a wirlwind tour by Scott and he showed me one they made for a 930 trans in a 914. Not cheap, but VERY good quality!
You'll need to look about 3/4's down the page.
http://www.renegadehybrids.com/kitcars/techarticle.html

Also a search of "Cable Shifter" on the 914Club main forum page turned up about three pages of postings.

Well time to go finish loading up for an early morning A/X at Firebird Raceway up by Phoenix, AZ.
Thorshammer
Like this:

Brett W
If you flip the tranny you can raise the shifter 12inches, but you will have to get creative with the shift linkage.

Why not build a new shifter that raises the pivot point, lengthens the shifter and relocates that.
McMark
How about just leaving the shifter in the stock location and bending/welding the shift rod? Simple solution.
Brett W
The stock shifter is still in the wrong location for fast shifting in a race car. Bending it or shortening it will only make it worse. The throw is way too long as well, so it is like rowing a boat.

Here is the shifter I built for my street car. It sits level with the 3 o'clock position. All you do is move your hand over and the shifter is right there. I shorted the throw by 50 percent. I move the shifter 1in from neutral to gear.

I would do something similar for a teener if I had one although I think cables would be a better option on a 901.
Terrance
That looks like a 88-91 Civic. So, it made me miss my old 89 CRX Si track car.
Brett W
Indeed. I like it for a street car. It has good heat in the winter, a radio, a huge cargo area. Plus with all my mods it handles great, goes fast and stops great. Plus I get 32mpg in town. There is a huge aftermarket for it. Plus it is fairly invisible to radar.

The down side is, ITS WRONG WHEEL DRIVE and the engine is in the wrong place.

I couldn't drive a teener everyday again until I fix many of its problems, so I will stick to racing one for now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.