Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nice side mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Saw these unique mirrors sunday of the WCC at the speedway. Are these custom ?
STL914
Those are VITALONI Sebring Mach 1 mirrors. I've seen them available in a black paintable finish or in chrome, as in the e-bay link below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MASERATI-GH...ZWDVWQQtcZphoto
jim_hoyland
Hmmm.no bids, and starting at $149.00.
STL914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 15 2006, 11:05 AM) *

Hmmm.no bids, and starting at $149.00.

Starting price is too high, IMO. I've seen these go for a lot less than the starting price in the past. Just do a search for the Vitaloni Sebring Mach 1 and be patient.

I was considering mounting a set of the chrome ones on my 72 after my Jaguar Racing Green repaint, but I decided on a pair of OEM mirrors instead.
JPB
Those mirrors look cool but the location is strange since the window post would be in the way. On the passenger side, the installation would be okay there though.
jim_hoyland
Looked from inside the car; driver side was fine.

Are these plastic or Metal ?

grasshopper
lol, I dont know, but whoever owned that car didn't like me touching their rear spoiler... chairfall.gif
jim_hoyland
...he heard you were looking for parts biggrin.gif
retrotech
Those are one off proto mirrors I made for the 914. I had been selling them for 911's, since the mid 80's. I took molds from a pair, on 935 race car, late 70's. I stopped production several years ago, and had this one pair that are designed for the 914. They do an excellent job of showing you the blind, or being past spot. On the driver side, you sight down the egde of the rear fender. The passenger side is helpful. You don't see the post in either. The glass is pirated from the Italian mirror. Thats all, "my" mirrors.
jim_hoyland
Very nice job on the mirrors; and the rst of the car, it's a beauty ! And thanks for the information.
Aaron Cox
935 mirrors...

cbenitah is putting some on his car
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 15 2006, 09:15 PM) *

935 mirrors...

cbenitah is putting some on his car

Were these standard on a 935 ? Got a pic ?
cbenitah
QUOTE(retrotech @ Jul 15 2006, 08:07 PM) *

Those are one off proto mirrors I made for the 914. I had been selling them for 911's, since the mid 80's. I took molds from a pair, on 935 race car, late 70's. I stopped production several years ago, and had this one pair that are designed for the 914. They do an excellent job of showing you the blind, or being past spot. On the driver side, you sight down the egde of the rear fender. The passenger side is helpful. You don't see the post in either. The glass is pirated from the Italian mirror. Thats all, "my" mirrors.

What glass did you use for yours? I havent been able to mount mine yet, and I already broke the glass on one.. headbang.gif If you dont mind posting some moounting photos of yours.. I layed mine out but dont know yet how to mount them permenatly, think they look great though.
cbenitah
They also came on some RUF cars...
retrotech
All of those mirrors evolved after the actual race teams fabricates there own. They were very crude, and the left was seldom the shape of the right. I had mide made in US, and Asia. The final evolution, is the back of the mirror is nearly solid, flat service. You then silicone to vent glass. It can be reoved with pressure & razor blade. The back side I cut black, sticky vynil, to cover the mirror/silicone mounting.
The 935's are much larger than mine, and will need allot of tweaking.

retrotech
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 15 2006, 09:10 PM) *

Very nice job on the mirrors; and the rst of the car, it's a beauty ! And thanks for the information.

Thank you very much for that great airial photo. That will be my screen saver.
Glad you like my 914. It didn't get much response while I was there.
Rand

I admired it Sunday. And when I was there, a lot of people were walking around it admiring as well. If I would have known who/where you were I would have given you some response. smile.gif
retrotech
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 15 2006, 10:27 PM) *

I admired it Sunday. And when I was there, a lot of people were walking around it admiring as well. If I would have known who/where you were I would have given you some response. smile.gif

I'm sorry we didn't meet. I have put allot of thought & hours of fiberglass work. My goal is light & aerodynamic "as possible" with a 914, and BIG brakes.
Rand
Nice goal, and nice work. Look forward to meeting you another time. beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 15 2006, 11:02 PM) *

Nice goal, and nice work. Look forward to meeting you another time. beerchug.gif

agree.gif Several of us attending Sunday were hoping the owner would be available; there was a lot going on. A least I got a decent picture and finally learned a little bit more.

I assume you did the custom front lid too; that's awork of art. Was it made from a mold ?
jd74914
QUOTE(retrotech @ Jul 16 2006, 01:44 AM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 15 2006, 10:27 PM) *

I'm sorry we didn't meet. I have put allot of thought & hours of fiberglass work. My goal is light & aerodynamic "as possible" with a 914, and BIG brakes.

Whats powering it, and are the outlets on the hood for a radiator or oil cooler? It is a very cool car beerchug.gif

Actually, one more Q, what color is it, I really like the color.
d914
I believe he is got a 2.8 liter in it and the venting up front is for the cooler.. One off spoiler upfront and in the rear..
retrotech
Yes, its a 2.8, some what RS spec engine. 10.3 compression, 46mm webbers, headers, etc. Dyno 210 at the wheels.
The hood louvers are venting my oil cooler.
Its Adriatic Blue, darker in person. I will post some pictures of the back of the mirrors, I have a 911 set left.
No one commented about my Carbon top, that vents air out the back.
Everything I have done is functional, for a performance purpose.
It also is running 8" wheels with 235x17 all the way around, with narrow body.
Thanks for the interest, and compliments.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.