Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: good ride-height for bilsteins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
ok,
i finally got around to put the (new to me, thank you Jeff pray.gif ) bilsteins in the back.
also got some heavier springs (180) to counteract the understeer i was getting. (911 front end and 23mm sway bar set to full soft and the front was pushing like a pig).

since the front is not yet lowered (stock 911), what is a good setting for the rear?
i have 6 positions for the perch, right now i'm on 2nd from below and the car is too low. (like, i bareley can get my arm under it) ...

how high should i go? drop the front a bit? even? front lower than back?

ahhhhh, so many choices.
Andy

btw. my old shocks were so toast, brad decided to take a video.
one had absolutely NO oil in it anymore.
ChrisReale
I say set the front to the height of your choice. Then adjust the rear to as close as you can, then tweek from there. Are the 180# springs progressive?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Oct 12 2003, 10:35 PM)
Are the 180# springs progressive?

yepp, they are. understeer is gone, i now have a slight oversteer, which is great because now i can actually put the front swaybar into good use ...

Andy
Anton
Corner weight the car. Start with the front. Subsequently, the ride height in the rear will be determined by the amount of weight a rear wheel produces (relatively to the front adjustment).

When you know the original balance between front and rear (I believe 51:49), and the current weight of your car, you can do the math.
Anton
49:51, that is.
Jeroen
Andy,

Why bother us on the BBS with these Q's?
You practically live at Brad's shop biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 12 2003, 09:12 PM)
i finally got around to put the bilsteins in the back.
also got some heavier springs (180) to counteract the understeer i was getting. (911 front end and 23mm sway bar set to full soft and the front was pushing like a pig).

actually, i'm so glad to hear you say this :-) ...

but just talk to Brad for a while, he'll convince you it doesn't really understeer. evidently it used to, but it doesn't any more.
KenH
What size Torsion bars in front??

Set the front so you have about an 1-1/2" shock travel - this limits how low you can go.

Set the back to level the car, or one notch higher to give it a little forward rake.

Ken
Jeroen
Ride height and springrates won't cure your understeering pig
Only a 3.6 conversion will be able to do that biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.