Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass fenders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
apoplexy
So after getting a ration of @#$# from my 100% DIY dad about not doing the bodywork on the clone myself, I'm going to give it a go.

Some friendly neighbors hit-and-ran both front fenders in our parking lot last winter, hard enough to produce holes and cracks in the fiberglass.

Anyway, rather than trusting the stuff OSH carries, does anyone have any recommendations on any particular product to build up/patch/repair fiberglass?

Carrie
effutuo101
Where you get the resin and glass is no big deal. The hard part is gettting the resin to flash correctly in the temperature and humidity you are working in. You might want to practice on a piece or two to get the mix right. The directions are pretty accurate on how much of each chemical to mix in different temperatures, check the web. Make sure you clean the glass and sand back a few inches to make sure you get any sub surface cracks cleaned up, othwise they will show up after a couple of hot days and cold nights.
Good luck
Mueller
TAP plastics is a decent enough place, you might get lucky and have someone behind the counter know what they are talking about and can help you...check them out online as well, I know they have some online tutorials...
Matt Romanowski
The West System makes really good resins. They also mount pumps on all the chemicals that are ratioed correctly - one pump of resin to one pump of hardener....

Matt
TimT
The West System

agree.gif werd up yo

They make all sorts of fiberglass products/fillers/ etc. Very popular with the marine, and aviation people
JPB
If a heavy build up is not required, and its only a few chips on the edges rather than cracks I'd use Dynaglass and finish it with some good spot putty which comes with hardener. Fiberglass is the best FB repair product and yes gelcoat is the stuff it was covered with but not required for small repairs. Gelcoat is used in forms as the first layor of the layup process then followed by fiberglass sheets or chopper gun mixes. Gelcoat is used in this process because it is a liquid which can be applied on release gels in the moulds quickly and effectivey. To apply gelcoats outside the mould for coating something is hard. I'm using a gel coat repair kit on my boat and that is only good for 1ounce for 30$ and it came from Boaters World. I did this because I could match the original gelcoat with the kit. Unless gelcoat is your finish rather than paint, this would be the way to go; if not use some good auto body repair stuff as stated above.

beer.gif Good luck and loosen up with some suds for that pro look.
lapuwali
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 15 2006, 01:40 PM) *

TAP plastics is a decent enough place, you might get lucky and have someone behind the counter know what they are talking about and can help you...check them out online as well, I know they have some online tutorials...

agree.gif I was going to say just this. In our area, go to TAP. They're a good resource.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.