Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Beams don't flash- Suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tiim5
73 1.7, high beams stopped working nor do the fog lights flash- J West flasher installed. Low beams and fog lights work.
Any suggestions on what to check? Fuses look good, took them out and cleaned them all. Turn signals work so flasher is ok I presume.
Is there a way to check the relay? Will a multimeter indicate the condition of the relay?
Is this a switch/stalk issue?
Everything was fine, car sat for a few weeks, battery needed charging, then did the starter and additional ground cable to tranny-this problem occured at same time, coincidence I hope.

Thanks.
lapuwali
Do the high beams come on at all?

There's a special relay on the relay board, mounted upside down (so all the wires go up away from the board). That's gets switched when you pull on the stalk, flipping between low or high beams. If that goes out, you typically lose the low or high or both beams.
dion9146
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 15 2006, 05:56 PM) *

Do the high beams come on at all?

There's a special relay on the relay board, mounted upside down (so all the wires go up away from the board). That's gets switched when you pull on the stalk, flipping between low or high beams. If that goes out, you typically lose the low or high or both beams.

Yep, when I reinstalled my dash and rewired everything, that relay gave me fits. If I touched it the wrong way, the high beams wouldn't work. I had to wiggle it around and get it into just the right position before it would work right consistently. New ones aint cheap, but one of these days I'll probably end up replacing it.

Dion
tiim5
Thanks James and Dion,
I found the relay, rapped it a few times, no change, My low beams work just no switching to high beams or flash of fogs. i may take it {the relay) apart, in anticipation of a new purchase, maybe i'll find something. i did this to my tii flasher relay, wound up soldering a tab, it has worked great since.
HeloMech
QUOTE(tiim5 @ Jul 15 2006, 10:04 PM) *

Thanks James and Dion,
I found the relay, rapped it a few times, no change, My low beams work just no switching to high beams or flash of fogs. i may take it {the relay) apart, in anticipation of a new purchase, maybe i'll find something. i did this to my tii flasher relay, wound up soldering a tab, it has worked great since.

Just got my car yesterday... where is this relay board thing of which you speak? Also, where do you buy these funky round relay doodads?
tiim5
HeloMech,
The relay board is held on by two phillips head machine screws, they located near the fuse panel under drivers side of dash. Unscrew them the panel drops down. You can then see the metal square relay I was asking about, as well as the large black flasher relay and some of the round relays you mention.

These relays can be found at Pelilcan Parts or other vendors.
Many club members have spares.

Have fun with your new car.
lapuwali
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 16 2006, 08:23 AM) *

QUOTE(tiim5 @ Jul 15 2006, 10:04 PM) *

Thanks James and Dion,

Just got my car yesterday... where is this relay board thing of which you speak? Also, where do you buy these funky round relay doodads?

As noted, the round relays can be had from Pelican, et al. They're fairly expensive. However, they're also not sealed. The covers pop off, and you can usually repair them.
tiim5
Well, took off the relay, cleaned it up, interesting mechanical action, no change, it does not "click" when stalk lever is pulled.
I am thinking no juice to this relay.
There are a few round relays on the board, do any of these control power to the high beam relay?
I have a few spares, any way to tell if they are good before I swap them?
Is there a way to test them with a multimeter?

Thanks- if this isn't the problem, how does one check if the lever on steering column/stalk is good/bad?

Thanks
john rogers
The high beams are fused seperately if I remember correctly? Does the flash kit still use these?
dinomium
QUOTE(john rogers @ Jul 16 2006, 04:16 PM) *

The high beams are fused seperately if I remember correctly? Does the flash kit still use these?

Yes, they are fused seprately, the Jwest mod creates a loop between the stalk, headlights and drivers. All the same fuses are used.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.