Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 Topic: Which Oil filter model for this block?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
Not sure which year block I have but the thread is not the same as on the FRAM PH38 filter I have.

I couldn't get both hose elbow fittings (too close to ea other) so there's no advantage of the remote set up to route the hoses away from the shift rod. Maybe there's swivel elbows somewhere but I want to fire up the car tomorrow!

Also, what is that port above the filter? I can't find the correct bolt to plug it. The closest I could find only screws about 2-3 threads. confused24.gif
MBowman325
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 15 2006, 11:56 PM) *

Not sure which year block I have but the thread is not the same as on the FRAM PH38 filter I have.

I couldn't get both hose elbow fittings (too close to ea other) so there's no advantage of the remote set up to route the hoses away from the shift rod. Maybe there's swivel elbows somewhere but I want to fire up the car tomorrow!

Also, what is that port above the filter? I can't find the correct bolt to plug it. The closest I could find only screws about 2-3 threads. confused24.gif

THe port is probabily an oil pressure sender. Some had it above the filter, and some had them on a port under the dist. Pretty much every V8 car I've had used a FRAM PH 30 or equ. Let me see if I can look up any of those number on Mortec.com...

*Edit*
Just looked at my Aerocoupe, and the hole is open, didn't notice the plug you had in where the sender goes. I snapped a couple of pictures for a comparison as well if necessary. It'll be a minute.
Andyrew
felix... Why dont you go with a remote mount?

You will need oil cooling down the road...

I would seriously consider it.

As far as the hole... Go to your nearest engine builder or the like, give em a call, and ask em if they have that bolt... Thats what I did for the one of the little black one's.

Maybe its a starter mount or such of the like?
MBowman325
It's a little doctored up (this camera phone sucks) and dark, but this is the same shot on my 87 Monte SS with an LB9 305

Click to view attachment
MBowman325
BTW: if you'd like to look up info on the block you've got, you can check out www.mortec.com, and it'll spell it out for you. smile.gif I'd thought one of the numbers on the second picture was the last few digits, but that's not right... Won't tell you what filter to run, but it'll give you applications that block was used in.

As a point of reference, the L69 and LG3/LG4 (305 for: Monte Carlos, Camaros, and other G and F body cars), LB9 (Fuel injected 305s for F bodies). The LT1 (350 in 94-95 F and B (and maybe D) cars) in my '78 Monte also uses a PH 30 equ, while the '96 Impala uses another filter.

http://www.mortec.com/location.htm
http://www.mortec.com/castnum.htm
SLITS
From your pictures, you have an early (prior to 88) 350...010 casting. This is the best of the castings as it has a higher nickel content than any of the other castings.

The hole is for accessory attachments.

The filter should be a common chevy V8 filter. You can remove the filter console assembly by removing the two hex wrench fasteners. As I remember, adaptors are made to replace the console to run a remote filter.
MBowman325
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 16 2006, 07:02 AM) *

The hole is for accessory attachments.

Hole for a mechanical Linkage Pivot ball stud
(I got curious about it...)
neo914-6
Michael,

Good link

Slits,

Nice to know. My adapter screws right onto the console.

Andrew,

I have a remote filter assembly but the inlet and outlet fittings are too close to each other to mount elbow fittings and the fittings/hoses interfere with the shifter. I could still use it if I find some swivel fittings where the "L" doesn't have to rotate...

Thanks Guys!!!
Rider914
Fram PH-30

it is a short filter that will clear the shift rod. . . the longer one hits.
nick mironov
If you have an early Chevy block, the original filter was a cartridge type and it has been retrofitted with a spin-on filter adapter. There are two types of adapters that are used resulting in either a Chevy-style filter (smaller) or a Ford-style filter(larger). My V8 has the Ford-style spin-on adapter and uses a Fram PH8A or equivalent filter. Mine clears the shifter rod. I am told that there is also a shorter version of the PH8A but I do not know the model number.
Dr. Roger
or, if you have access to a welder, just run your shift rod back to the filter. then put a little bend down, under, and then back up and to the tranny. this way the angles are the same for the shifting linkage.

i had to add about an 1" or 1 1/2" piece but it works well and is about the same strength as i welded the heck out of it. i assume you've already added some length as yours is a V8.

PS, Primitive Pete solutions should be utilized at own risk. Next time I'm using a remote solution. =-)
Andyrew
Felix... I dont have a pic handy.. but my exhaust shop made a piece like rogger said to protect my lines from the exhaust... works good..

When I plumb in my oil cooler, I'll go for the good 90 deg blue fittings with the braided lines.

Your kit looks just like mine.

Andrew
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Jul 16 2006, 10:16 AM) *

Michael,

Good link

Slits,

Nice to know. My adapter screws right onto the console.

Andrew,

I have a remote filter assembly but the inlet and outlet fittings are too close to each other to mount elbow fittings and the fittings/hoses interfere with the shifter. I could still use it if I find some swivel fittings where the "L" doesn't have to rotate...

Thanks Guys!!!

felix, use AN or aeroquip socketless 90 fittings, as they dont require the elbow part to turn to tighten, you use the slip nut that is on there.....

a price of 2 elbows and a pair of NPT? to AN adapters and you are golden...

besides... round 90's are better than square 90's flow wise right?
Aaron Cox
like dis...
IPB Image
Andyrew
Thats the "blue thing" that I mean

Andrew
Aaron Cox
nomenclature is a biatch smile.gif

37 degree AN fitting smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.