Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch adjustment question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type4org
On my "new" '76 2.0 the clutch is engaging very high up in the clutch pedal travel. Also, there is no free play to be felt at the pedal itself. Being a 914 newbie, my closest comparison are aircooled VWs, all of which have to have free play at the pedal to ensure the throwout bearing is not in constant contact with the pressure plate.

My question is whether this "no free play" is normal, and if it isn't, how much I should have. I have looked at some of the tech articles and would be able to find and adjust the clutch cable at the transmission.

The car only has 27,000 miles, so I'm thinking (err, hoping wink.gif ) that the clutch isn't on the way out.
SLITS
You should be able to pull up on the clutch pedal 1/2" to 3/4".....that is the freeplay.

Go underneath the car and back off the two (hopefully) 11 mm nuts on the clutch cable end about 1/8" - 1/4".

Buy a Haynes manual.
type4org
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 16 2006, 09:08 AM) *

You should be able to pull up on the clutch pedal 1/2" to 3/4".....that is the freeplay.

Go underneath the car and back off the two (hopefully) 11 mm nuts on the clutch cable end about 1/8" - 1/4".

Buy a Haynes manual.

Haynes manual is already ordered wink.gif

I think I know where my confusion came from. You say the free play is determined by pulling up on the pedal, as opposed to pushing on it, which is the way all other cars I know are. Thanks!
type4org
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 16 2006, 09:08 AM) *

Just checked it and there is no free play pulling up or pushing down on the pedal. That gives me hope, the "worn-out" clutch feel might be an adjustment issue only.

I'll stop by my local shop tomorrow and ask them if they can get it on a hoist for me and adjust the clutch. I don't have any facilities to do this myself.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.