Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
I need a new muffler NOW, TODAY, THIS MINUTE.

(Mechanic will not allow me to drive it home with my blowed up factory one.. friggen baffle!)

Triad? Single or dual? How long does it take to get it shipped?

Anyone have a better suggestion, speak now, time is of the essence, I need to be rolling around..

M
Queenie
I'm fond of my Bursch. The car had a Manta on it when I bought it, but it fell off on the freeway one day. I don't miss it. The Bursch is better.
tod914
Im not sure he is offering the single anymore. If he is, go with that if its a stock car. The 2nd tip now points down. I would prefer semintry on the 2 tip. Just my 2 cents. My new bursch has already burned off some paint and has surface rust. In hindsite, I would of ordered one from them unpainted.
redshift
Hey Gurl! Can't go Bursch on this one..

For those who need to know again, euro 2.0/4, I am used to factory, so anything that sounds like that, or a 904.. smile.gif

Dual? How long shipping?

Triad dual? single? Abarth, Factory, Dansk, in that order, hurry!

M
redshift
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 13 2003, 03:37 PM)
Im not sure he is offering the single anymore. If he is, go with that if its a stock car. The 2nd tip now points down. I would prefer semintry on the 2 tip.

2nd tip points down on all of them? Damnit.

=o\

Hmmm... Anyone? Anyone have a symetrical dual sitting around waiting for a car that looks worse today, than it did last week?

I am a buyer, today!

M
SirAndy
brad has at least one manta in the shop. dunno if it is for a 2-liter tho ...

Andy
seanery
I've just got the triad dual, both tips out like a newer -6. It's a bit loud. The bursch is a bit more tame.
I'm thinking about sticking a bursch on for comparison reasons.
redshift
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 13 2003, 04:29 PM)
I've just got the triad dual, both tips out like a newer -6. It's a bit loud. The bursch is a bit more tame.
I'm thinking about sticking a bursch on for comparison reasons.

I emailed triadwest last evening, no reply yet.

How long did it take to get your's? 100db is fine, 98db is fine, anything under 105db is fine, 106db is not fine.

M
boxstr
One word TRIAD.
CCLIN914VILLE
seanery
Here's mine. It takes about a week to get it.
Pep Boys tips cut to size.
ChrisReale
Dual Triad is nice but loud. I have Bursch in my garage that needs to be opainted you can buy for cheep (like 70 bucks)
redshift
Thanks for the offer Chris, if I can get a Triad ordered in the next 24 hours though, I am going there.

I wish I could find one of those cool Abarth copys.

M
seanery
call him. probably the fastest way to order it.
redshift
Don't get smart *with (*for) me!

smile.gif

M

-I have your plate numbers... your car hit my car!-
seanery
360-412-8021

I warn you, it is loud!

cut the ends to length and get some chrome tips, too.
redshift
Ok, wait a second.. how loud is loud? It pops, right? No resonance like the big banana.. it's the one I heard that goes...

(D below a440)

-sportscar leaves-

.....GHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!......

It moves the torque up, yes?

M
ChrisReale
Dude, dave at Triad is buuuuusssssy. I doubt you will get a muffler made up for you in the next few weeks. I hope I am wrong. It is a nice sounding muffler, but it is loud. Louder than stock, louder than bursch. Nice and quiet at idle tho. Seanery, have Miles call you and you can rev your motor for him like that new Cayanne commercial laugh.gif
redshift
unsure.gif

IT'S A HEMI! wub.gif

Loud is ok, it's all about where the resonant note centers, and where be the torque at.

Damnit! They should sell these things at Pep-Boys...

M
seanery
Damn Battery is totally dead mad.gif
In the morning when battery is charged I'll make a recording for you.
redshift
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 13 2003, 09:56 PM)
Damn Battery is totally dead mad.gif
In the morning when battery is charged I'll make a recording for you.

Make it in 7.1 surround, stereo is so pedestrian.

M
Joseph Mills
"I need a new muffler NOW, TODAY, THIS MINUTE.

(Mechanic will not allow me to drive it home with my blowed up factory one.. friggen baffle!)

Triad? Single or dual? How long does it take to get it shipped?

Anyone have a better suggestion, speak now, time is of the essence, I need to be rolling around.."

Tell your mechanic to chill out!

Maybe there's more to this story than I know, but I can't understand why he would tell you to replace an exhaust system BEFORE you simply drove it home (unless it's like many, many, many miles away).

Maybe he means like you really NEED to do something about your exhaust very soon.

As far as mufflers goes, here's my preference:

1st Choice: Good original stock. From what I hear $$$$$$$ I should have bought one.

I had a bursch. Very VW sounding. Rust Never Sleeps. Get's loud quick with high frequencies (in a few months). But for the bucks a good buy. Lot of guys say it's the way to go. Way better than Monza (so I hear smile.gif, and is a good buy.

TRIAD. DEEP THROATY SOUND! Excellent build quality. Excellent materials. SOUNDS BAD ASS! compared to Bursch, Monza, etc. And Dave is way cool and LOVES what he is doing!

All but the first choice will probably lower your low-end torque somewhat.

I gotta get back on these musr images.....
redshift
It's a stock exhaust with a busted baffle, sounds like 4 extra sets of valves, and we are busy breakin' the engine in.

I have been without it long enough to go without it another few freakin' days.

Craap
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(redshift @ Oct 13 2003, 11:08 PM)
I have been without it long enough to go without it another few freakin' days.

Freakin RIGHT! Break that engine in RIGHT! I know ya will....

And if ya don't buy stock.....slap down for the TRIAD!

oh...hit me!...give me a string bean, i'm a hungry man

shotgun fired....an away i ran....obscure lyric reference.
seanery
I recorded my car, battery won't hold a charge at all, but I got it enough to start it once.
No comments about the clakety valves, they're getting adjusted Friday.
Car was somewhat warm, so no comments.

There are 2 files, both wma files. 1st one is 900k second one is 1.2meg

muffler 2
muffler 1
redshift
First off, I am concerned about some kind of low thumpy noise, coming from what sounds like your crank case, and I think I hear a closed intake valve on #2.

laugh.gif .... but that's just me.

Thanks man! The muffler rocks, I am sold.

(now if I could just get Dave on the phone)

What did you record with?

M
seanery
one of those cheap crappy computer mics on my notebook with windows "sound recorder" then convert wav files to wma.

I just fixed the links (the bottom one is a different file now.
8:05pm est
redshift
Tell me about that motor.

It doesn't have so much of the 'boot slipping off a foot peg' ping that most of these things do.

M
seanery
2.0 Euro pistons
c/r ~9-1 or so
webcam 494
Weber 40's
CB Linkage
SSI HE's
redshift
Cool, I hope this motor settles into that a lil bit.

It's a stiffy.

M
ChrisReale
Way to go Sean, that was cool to do that. Miles, you might try Triad on saturday, cause Dave works a 40 hour work week and does a lot of stuff on the weekends.
redshift
Dave just called, and he has one in a box with my name on it.

smile.gif

WOOHOO!

OFF TO UPS DOTCOM TO DOWNLOAD IT NOW!

M
Jeff Bonanno
cool M!

Sean, that was ball$!!
Aaron Cox
can someone post a pic of the triad? is it a header/exhaust combo or just exhaust?

also- someone should try brads flowmaster /6 setup for a /4...cool
redshift
The Instant Download Edison Express option at UPS costs $120,890,039.00.

I'm going ground!

M
seanery
IPB Image
this isn't exactly right, but it is from his webpage.

look at the pic of my car (white '72 posted earlier)
redshift
In the words of a now immortal bunch of sisters...

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it no no no no no no I'm about to lose control and I think I like it oh yeah

M
Aaron Cox
sweet! cost?
seanery
Miles,
is it a twin tip, standard? (like mine?)
redshift
Yeah, both aim out.

I am going to start my metal career by beating a perfect mirror of the dent for the extra tip in my valance. smash.gif or I'll smash it all to bits, and look like one of those California freaks.

The left side fits in the stock notch perfectly?

I need Bilsteins next week, springs, suspension bushings, and a stock swaybar rig.

I like getting stuff! I wish I could do this every day, all day, forever, and ever... amen.

M
Aaron Cox
christmas already? the UPS man will know your name by heart.....
seanery
lose the bilsteins and go for yellow konis with the adjustable perch.
I was worried they'd be too harsh, but in full soft they are wonderful!

brad did the second hole on my valence which is fiberglass. It looks like
it fit the driver's side hole no problem. My muffler was dented a bit in shipping.

I cut between 2 1/2 & 4 inches off the end of the muffler's tips and put
the pep boys tips on $6.99 each (2 1/2) I had to trim 3 inches or so off the
PB tips to fit and then drilled a pilot hole and screwed them in.

I think it looks pretty good.
redshift
Konis? Why?

I have liked Bullsheins before.

M
seanery
I'm a koni fan
Joseph Mills
Miles,

I have the Koni adjustables also. Really sweet. Spin the knob and they're almost as soft as stock. Spin the otherway and hang on to your ass. laugh.gif

Here is how I cut out the notch on the valence for the TRIAD.

I sketched the stock muffler notch on a piece of cardboard. Then cut it out and reversed it for my pattern.

Then jacked the exhaust into place (more or less) and determined where the right hand notch needed to be. Sketched the cut lines from the pattern and cut with a dremmel tool.

I was only off by 1/2" confused24.gif

You'll like that exhaust!
redshift
I am looking at the difference in around $500 vs around $900 for the rearend to drop, and my ass not to hurt?

I have never had adjustable konis.

M
Brad Roberts
Sean,

Your drivers side "notch" didnt match the Triad tip.

I know you guy's like Triad.. but I'm worried about the fiberglass packed CHERRY BOMBS he uses for the 3 mufflers. They will only get louder with time like ALL fiberglass packed mufflers.

Chris Reale.. if you have the Bursch.. I would like to have it for 70$.

B
redshift
Don't worry Brad, it'll be ok...

alright, so it'll be ok, and loud..

smile.gif

Be safe.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.