Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How does the handbrake lever work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lapuwali
The handbrake on my '71 (folding lever) has never locked in place (i.e., the ratchet doesn't work). Today, I took it apart to fix this, and I can't figure out what's broken or missing.

Looking at PET, I see part 901.424.508.00 (ratchet, though I'd call that a pawl), and 914.424.541.00 (locking segment, which it'd call the ratchet). Both are present and the teeth are in good shape. What I don't see is a spring either in my handbrake or in the PET diagrams that keeps the pawl against the ratchet. There's a spring that holds the button you use to unlock the ratchet, but no spring to lock the pawl against the ratchet. Thus, no clicks as you pull up, and it doesn't hold.

How is this supposed to work?

I note there is a return spring (914.424.545.00), but I can't figure out where it's supposed to fit from the PET diagram.

I seem to be missing something (mentally).
jd66921
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 16 2006, 12:24 PM) *

The handbrake on my '71 (folding lever) has never locked in place (i.e., the ratchet doesn't work). Today, I took it apart to fix this, and I can't figure out what's broken or missing.

Looking at PET, I see part 901.424.508.00 (ratchet, though I'd call that a pawl), and 914.424.541.00 (locking segment, which it'd call the ratchet). Both are present and the teeth are in good shape. What I don't see is a spring either in my handbrake or in the PET diagrams that keeps the pawl against the ratchet. There's a spring that holds the button you use to unlock the ratchet, but no spring to lock the pawl against the ratchet. Thus, no clicks as you pull up, and it doesn't hold.

How is this supposed to work?

I note there is a return spring (914.424.545.00), but I can't figure out where it's supposed to fit from the PET diagram.

I seem to be missing something (mentally).

There is no spring. I used to be able to do it, but others could not. Left my car off
one time for service and came back with both rear brakes disconnected.

The trick is to rock the floppy part of the handle back against the stop,and
press the button. Then it would go down, holding it against the latching part.

Make sense??

Jeff
lapuwali
No. I'm not asking how to OPERATE the lever. I can do that.

What I'm asking is, how is the pawl supposed to be held against the ratchet? Is it just relying on hope and gravity?
botoo
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 16 2006, 03:22 PM) *

No. I'm not asking how to OPERATE the lever. I can do that.

What I'm asking is, how is the pawl supposed to be held against the ratchet? Is it just relying on hope and gravity?

There is a spring right in the handle. When I push on the button on the end of the handle the pawl releases and I can hear and feel the tension of the spring. Mine make definate clicks as you set the brake.
lapuwali
Correct, and that spring is there in my setup, and works fine. However, it holds the button away from the pawl. When you press the button, it levers the pawl away from the ratchet. When the button is released, however, the pawl is free to swing however it wants. That spring can't both hold the button pushrod away from the pawl AND hold the pawl against the ratchet.

botoo
On the PET diagram:
Part #11 = spring
#12 = rubber ring
#13 = push button
#3 = push rod

These parts are in the handle. Hope this helps.
lapuwali
Yes, I see those parts. From what I can figure out from fooling with the handbrake off the car, they only RELEASE the pawl. They have no part in ENGAGING the pawl.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.