Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yokohama A032R hard compound - experience?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Aaron Cox
hey guys, got a deal on a set of new ao32R tires....

picked em up. any experience with em? 205's and 225/50's going on my 7" cookie wheels.....

any experience with this compound at AX and Track?

they should last me a while at a few AX's per year, and i want to do a few DE's this year...

what pressures do you guys run etc?
Joe Ricard
They will last forever on an Autocross.
probably last 200 laps or better for track days.

I put 250 road course miles on a set of R3S04 Hoosiers and several Autocrosses. and you are starting with 6/32 tread and probably a bitharder compound.

Better get racing or they will rot away in storage. Remember to store them in black plastic bags.
Aaron Cox
hey, that is semi good news (long lasting) smile.gif

plan to do a few track days and several AX's......

anyone have any starting tire pressures?
DanT
28-30 cold....
and adjust from there....check your side wall roll over and go from there.
Yokos like lots of negative camber and usually low pressures.
Trekkor
My understanding is the "softs" are better for a/x.
I got several a/x's out of mine- 8-10?

yes, dot the shoulders to watch rollover.

KT
Trekkor
thumb3d.gif
Aaron Cox
205 and 225 going on 7" rims.... shouldnt be AS much of a problem as if they were on 5.5" fuchs as pictured...

yay. thanks for the info guys.

tell me more about "rollover marking"
Joe Ricard
You can actually go all the way to the point of the arrow that is marked in KT's circle.
You will have an easier time of it because the wider wheels will give a much more square tire shoulder. Which makes the face of the tread flatter giving a much bigger contact patch.

I have never run Yoko R compounds but as stated above I believe -2 degrees is about right. Without a contact tire pyrometer you will be just guessing from there.
Time to preach to you about real pyrometers like you preached lug bolts.......

anyway 5 degrees hotter on the inside vs outside means you got them dialed in pretty good.

I ran my A3S04 205/50-15 on 8" rims 30 PSI and had tons of grip and got over 50 serious hard close to TTOD runs before my son put a flat spot on one of them.
I gave them to a friend who is running the other 3 on his spec Miata for AX. Still got "some life" in em. but not much more.
Trekkor
In my pic ( Pedrini rim BTW wink.gif ) you can see what's left of the white shoe polish. Get the liquid "Kiwi" with the sponge applicator.

Dot the shoulder at the triangle. After the next run, you can clearly see how far into the sidewall you are creeping.

Lower the pressure to get closer.
Dan's numbers are a good starting point for you.

The polish is also good for putting numbers on the windshield at the a/x.

I could get within 1/2 a second of my A-Hoosiers in the fun runs on my spent Yoks.

KT
Aaron Cox
right on!

thanks trek

AA
Joe Ricard
all of a sudden you are listening to KT ???? weren't you the biggest PITA yesterday about lug nuts?

I pretty much agree with Trek most of the time. he is probably faster than me. Too bad we are on opposite ends of the country or we could prove it.

Still HIGHLY suggest you get a pyrometer Race tires get expensive and if you are not tuning them correctly the tire will only last half as long.
Aaron Cox
i listen to people who have EXPERIENCE in things that i dont.....

im quite sure i know how to pick lugnuts.....

trek knows way more about tires than most... as he has experience with several brands, and several pressures....

experience goes along way (so does a physics understanding for lugnuts tongue.gif)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.