Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 GT front/rear lids on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
reproduction. altough very good ones as far as i can tell wink.gif
now if they also had the 100 Liter gas tank to go with it ...

Andy
Mueller
What is the weight savings by using the factory style GT lids??

Are more modern 'glass lids lighter? (I guess that depends on the manufacture)
Jeroen
Hey thanks for posting this!
Mittelmotor usually lists these in their catalog for €1500 each, so it's worth bidding on biggrin.gif
It's my first time on Ebay, so wish me luck...

cheers,

Jeroen
914Timo
I have saw pics about original GT lids. They dont look very good quality. Lot of air bubbles. sad.gif

Those lids for sale looks damn good. Hope you will win them, Jeroen.

I have bought something couple of times from German e-bay and I have had no bad experiences. I just bought set of new 996 front calipers. I know some wouldnt like to send parts abroad. After explaining that we are in the same european economic area and they can send them as easily as in German, everything have gone fine.
brant
My friend here has a M-471 car with original glass lids... (they even have been color changed like the car and are definitely original equiptment)..

The fit sucks. Perhaps they've warped in the last 30 years, but there is a huge gap on the side rain tray where the lid is bowed. At speed one of the corners around the headlight is warped up a couple of inches and scoops air into the front trunk.

brant
Qarl
Very interesting. I have a set of these lids as recently listed on the U.S. ebay by Getty Design. The photos in the Mittelmotor ad are the same as the Getty Design ad.

Armando Serrano visited them and took extensive photos. They are VERY close to original in appearance and the finish is very nice.

I believe Getty is making them. Perhaps Mittelmotor is getting them from Getty or maybe it is vice versa!!!!

Good luck!
RON S.
dance.gif
Those lids are indeed made by Getty Design.I called them when I saw the e-bay listing back in Aug.The guy told me he'd sell me a set over the phone for the e-bay listing of $499ea.I told him my only doubts about buying them were how good or bad the actual fitment would be when I rec'd them,as I've bought every other piece on the car from A.I.R. Or as I've termed(Awfully Inaccurate Reproductions)You name it,bumpers,flares,skirts,valances,oil cooler shrouding,it all had to be massively reworked to fit properly and look good.He assured me the best fit out of the box.I agreed.
Cost on the check was $1135.00 total.Van nuys to Chas'n S.C.
Now my 2 c.w.
Parts came prof'ly pkg'd,and the fit was like a glove.
They are contoured and rounded as the steel lids are.Everywhere they need to be.
They look good w/the gt type pins and rear lid holddowns.A quick sand & paint and they're done.They are really professional pieces.
Now the negative.The stiffeners on the bottom side are not bonded through-out the bottom of the lids.They are only bonded on the edges all-around.That made them really flimsy when I first got them.I had to carefully insert glass & resin at every intersection and press the top & bottom together for a couple days 'til it fully cured.Now they're stiff & looking great.All latches&hinges fit as original.I did run a tap thru all holes first to claen out the gelcoat but that was it.Also,they're right at 9 lbs.ea.
In short,the xtra cost for their lids versus cheaper ones I think was saved in the fitment.You just cant imagine how many hours I've spent fixing fiberglass on my '6 that was bought from companys that said it fit perfect.Most everything on the market is made in molds that are garbage.
Their pcs.fit and I'd buy from them again.I'll bet anyone calls them they'll sell ya a set for the e-bay price.
Just my 2c.w.
Ron
vortrex
let's see some pics of them on your car!
RON S.
Lets see if this newbie can make a photo load.
RON S.
This is #2,bottom view.
Ron
RON S.
This is a front view#3
Ron
RON S.
Here's a back view,closed
Ron
RON S.
Sorry,forgot to post pic
Ron
RON S.
Last pic,open rear,and let the comments roll.
Ron mueba.gif
914Timo
Nice pics, nice lids and VERY nice car !!! clap56.gif

Is it real six ??

Your battery is pretty high. What is the apparatus next to the fattery in front trunck pic ??
RON S.
Timo,
The item next to the battery is an 8micron oil filter on the return end of the oil cooler.It has -16 lines in and out coming from a much-much modified mazda oil cooler.
The mazda unit has had the end cap removed,I then designed a pair of mating flanges on my comp.had them waterjetted,tig-welded 1 to the cooler & 1 to the cap.Then added -16 fittings to the cap.The end cap is now removable for cleaning.I now intend to send it off to have it ultrasonically cleaned.I'll send pics later.Yes,the battery is to high,and I'll later lower it to behind the o.c.duct.
Ron
brant
The bumpers look great!!!

are they glass bumpers painted silver?

brant
RON S.
Brant,
They are indeed glass bumpers,but don't let let the good looks fool you.They are A.I.R.pcs. mad.gif (awfully inaccurate repro's)
When I got them,they fit as good as a square peg in a round hole. I.E. the o.c.cutout in the fr.bumper was 3/4"
narrower than the o.c.opening in the lower valance.
Whatever fiberglass parts one buys,be prepared for rework,lots of it,to get it to fit.
Ron
Aaron Cox
those are BIG flares
Bleyseng
Damn those are big effin pics, try resizing them before posting to 640x400 so we can see em. Use PhotoshopLE or another picture program to do this.

Car looks great!

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.