Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Tale of Two Shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
So I'm changing camberplates cause I bought a set with monoballs. When I undid the nut on the shock and lowered the A arm, the driver's side stood proud but the passenger side slowly disappeared into the strut housing. Even I know that they should act the same. I suspect the one with ED is shot but, I thought I'd ask the experts.

They are 3 year old Koni yellows.

Dave
Aaron Cox
monoballs replacing "stock" camber plates or something else?

Brad Roberts
Do you have both set on the same setting?

I have had this happen many times and the shock performed fine on the street/autoX/track.

B
DNHunt
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jul 16 2006, 10:19 PM) *

Do you have both set on the same setting?

I have had this happen many times and the shock performed fine on the street/autoX/track.

B

Correct Aaron.

I check that Brad. I assumed they were the same but, i didn't check

Dave
DNHunt
B

Just checked, they are the same.

Dave
Bleyseng
Well, atleast you didn't find that all the shock oil had puked out. One of my brand new rears did that all over the rear trunk. Koni sent a replacement one out. Car drove funny too.
anthony
What kind of shocks? The gas charge on a shock makes it 'stand tall'. If the shock is not a gas shock then it will normally sink down. If you had two different brand shocks, that would explain things. If they are the same then you know the gas charge on the passenger side is gone.
groot
You lost gas pressure on one, but it sounds like your seal is still good. The gas pressure in a twin tube damper is to keep the fluid from cavitating. People run these dampers with no gas pressure.

Send them to Koni for a rebuild or get a new set. They need to at least be the same, one way or the other.
Joe Ricard
Dave if you get a new set I call dibs on the good one.
I have one that the adjuster is tough to turn. Still works but aggrevates me.
Brad Roberts
Kevin nailed it. Seems to be pretty common with the Koni's.

I have always sent them in and had them "rebuilt" with a minor valving change.

I use a place in Ohio.

B
dinomium
had you never bought those monos, you would have never supected a thing! I may have just save your life!
now you can feel bad about STEALING them from me! biggrin.gif
I went thru Koni with mine...
DNHunt
You guys nailed it. I talked with Bob at Koni and he said the same thing. He said I could send it back and get it repaired or they could take the gas charge out of the other one. This explains why I had to adjust the torsion bars a while back. The car drives fine on the street so i'm not going to change it until winter. The weather is just too good right now to have it on jackstands. I know it's not right to leave it but I want to drive. I'm sure glad I didn't waste the money on a corner balance and alignment.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.