Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hot fan housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
72914S
Went over to Joe`s (AKA Redneck Racer)with a"little"help from me the oil pump was changed without dropping the engine. beerchug.gif Thanks Joe!! But now the question for the day is " Why is the fan housing so hot?" When I arrived we took note that the housing was hot enough to burn you!It took forever to cool off(made a beer run,still hot when we returned.Granted I drove 100 miles to Joe`s non stop average speed 80-85mph.Okay I did kick it up over that a couple of times.But still should the housing get that hot?By the way nothing is rubbing it that area to create that much heat. ANY IDEAS? Barry

THANKS AGAIN JOE!!
Autocross, Dothan Al. August 13 @ Hunts Field
SLITS
Vell, I know that after running like that the dipstick will scorch yer fingers. As I remember, the impeller housing will get that hot too. And no, I'm not gonna make a run to see if I can burn my paddies.
drewvw

I was wondering about this too.

I've been using the Type 1 rule that that the fan shroud should be just too hot for you to rest your hand on....not sure if it applies squarely to Type IV engines or not.

Drew
tdgray
It's all good... just do this to use up that heat. biggrin.gif

Roadkill Griller
72914S
Thanks. It had me worried. Not so much now. driving.gif
Chogokin
Barry, don't forget it is hotter than hell here! Mine gets that hot just going through the McD's drivethrough!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.