Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Window - Butyl Caulk diameter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frankc
Good Morning,

I followed the excellent thread in the Classic Forum on replacing the butyl seal for the rear window. The thread was excellent - thanks 914 Club members.

I do have a question - I used 1/4 inch diamter butyl seal and pressed the class firmly against the seal - but it still looks less than adequate. Should I have used a thicker caulk? Say - 3/8?

Frank
mihai914
Hello Frank,

By memory, 1/4 is as close as you can get to the original butyl adhesive. If it doesn't rattle and doesn't leak, I don't see any issue. In any case I think 3/8 will be too big. And now that you have put it in, it will be a mess to get it out unless you let it dry for another 20-30 years.
aircooledboy
Nope. 1/4" is the correct choice. 3/8" sticks up farther than optimal, but gives no added strength. Trust me, you're good. beerchug.gif
frankc
Thanks guys.

I thought about using the 3m Window Weld stuff in a caulk tube, but this worked out pretty well.

Frank

QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Jul 17 2006, 08:21 AM) *

Nope. 1/4" is the correct choice. 3/8" sticks up farther than optimal, but gives no added strength. Trust me, you're good. beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.