Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK, Bad News From Roger Kraus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeffs9146
The 6 was going along way too nice to not run into a problem! headbang.gif

For those who saw my 6 when Renshift bought my 4 and commented on the shims in the left rear! (Andy) Now we know why!

So, does anyone in the Bay Area have a spare Left Rear Trailing Arm for sale? There is no hurry but I would like to do it this year if possible! And I am looking for something cheep!

Jeff
peridotian
There is a set on evilbay that are "reconditioned"
ChrisReale
I think GPR might offer re-built arms for $150 ish, new bearings etc...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Oct 13 2003, 04:30 PM)
For those who saw my 6 when Renshift bought my 4 and commented on the shims in the left rear! (Andy) Now we know why!

i'm curious about what you guys used to determine that the arm was bent.
i think mine (both) are too, but how do you know exactly?
anyone here who has the factory measurements?
buy a brand new one and make a map?
jigs?
anything?

Andy
Jeroen
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 14 2003, 02:13 AM)
buy a brand new one and make a map?

NLA...

cheers,

Jeroen
Mueller
I should have one, for a /4, if so, $20 and it's yours.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 13 2003, 05:25 PM)
I should have one, for a /4, if so, $20 and it's yours.

and how do you know it's NOT bend ???

i'm curious. no really, i am ...
Andy
Mueller
and how do you know it's NOT bent ???

to be honest with you, I don't know 100% that it is not bent, all I can do it take a look for obvious damage.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 13 2003, 08:01 PM)
to be honest with you, I don't know 100% that it is not bent, all I can do it take a look for obvious damage.....

there has to be a way to figure this out.

damm, this is the one time i wish AA had that very last new one in stock ... rolleyes.gif

i would give my right Trailing Arm for the factory measurements,
Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 13 2003, 07:54 PM)
i would give my right Trailing Arm for the factory measurements

since they're box sections, they're very strong in bending; the failure mode is twisting - at least every bent one i've seen (including one of my own) is twisted.

i believe the bore of the pivot shaft is supposed to be parallel to the bearing (axle shaft) bore.

but since it was Roger who said the trailing arm in question is bent, and we trust Roger, why don't we ask him how he knows it's bent ?
JFJ914
If the car aligns, the arm isn't bent. When I bought my car it had 3 shims and a 3/4" stack of washers on the left side. After replacing the springs and removing the very unsafe washers, the LR could not be aligned for toe. You could get camber with the 3/4" washer stack. Bought a used arm for $20 and the car aligned.

If you can't get there with the stock bolts and 3-4 shims suspect the arm.
SirAndy
QUOTE(John Jentz @ Oct 14 2003, 10:49 AM)
If you can't get there with the stock bolts and 3-4 shims suspect the arm.

i know smile.gif

i have about 2" worth of shims on one side and about 1" on the other.
the car was hit from behind, so this smells like bend arms.

i simply would like to know how to tell a arm is bend BEFORE i put it in the car and go through all the alignement just to find out it's not working ...

Andy
Jeffs9146
i simply would like to know how to tell a arm is bend BEFORE i put it in the car and go through all the alignement just to find out it's not working ...

Ask Roger!!!

Jeff
Brad Roberts
I can look at them and tell Andy.

And YES. I need to build a jig for testing the arms.

My favorite part: they converted your red car to 5 lug for you.. and DIDNT even look at the excessive amount of shims used for the alignment (and if they aligned it.. they should be shot).

B
Dave_Darling
There's a pic in Haynes that shows measurements for the trailing arm. Take a look through there. The arm is in a vise, straight up-and-down.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.