Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kooky shifting problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike McGrath
So I took the car for a drive the other day on some open stretches of highway. Not quite every time, but many times, it would be impossible to downshift from fifth to fourth. I tried it all over the place, but it wouldn't engage. I'd even go into third and try getting back up into fourth, but no go. I'd have to go into neutral, coast, and then go into third when the speed and revs were in line. It wouldn't do it as much going up in gears, as far as I remember.

Freaked out my wife, who thought we'd be stranded in the woods. And this was just after I pointed out, "if someone was to kill a person and then ditch their body, I bet nobody would ever find it out in these woods," so that may have added to her concern. Total coincidence (she's still around).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike (in Portland)
Air_Cooled_Nut
Hey Mike,
I had the EXACT same problem with my Ugly Duckling. The shift rod, for whatever reason, hit the bottom cooling tin. Not much, but just enough to keep it from engaging. Luckily I had another shift rod...made the swap and fixed!

Jack the car up and have someone shift into 4th. The shift rod shouldn't even come close to the cooling tin. If it touches or is a mm or two from the tin, that's most likely your issue.

See my blog. I think this will take you to the specific entry:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?auto...;showentry=1634
r_towle
I had just this problem.

Look at the allen head screw that is just behind the firewall..connecting the shifter rods together...make sure its all the way in and tight....

Goo luck.
Tobra
and put blue loctite on it, turned out to be problem with mine, backed out cone screw, brand new, with ther nylon insert, still backed out
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.