Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who Sells Valences that Fit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Who sells 'em that fit?
Experience only please, not guesses.
First Choice
IPB Image
Second Choice
IPB Image
Third Choice
IPB Image
Katmanken
Sean,

I got a 3 from Tweeks. It fit gud. smile.gif

I think van914 has a style 1 for sale. He lives about 3 miles from me (in Cincy) and showed it to me when I bought my Fuchs a week or 2 ago. Wasn't listed in his ad.

Email him at van914@aol.com

Ken
cork
Sean, #3 and had no problems, the first two could have problems with curbs. flag.gif
redshift
I have had those one various cars, number 2 works. Get it, and find something to extend the lip with.

Where can you get one that just 'fits'..

HAHAHAHAHA

sorry!

M
ChrisReale
I have number one. I like it, but it took a bit of workmanship to get it to fit, like grinding and drilling and shit. I also have ripped it in half twice, but the fiberglass can be, and was repaired
Rusty
Why can't they make fiberglass parts that freaking fit?

How much trouble would it be to do a trial fit of a piece (on a couple of cars) before actually going into production?

-Rusty smoke.gif
StratPlayer
I have the #3 and it fit perfectly,, got it for AA argh,, I tried other vendors for that item and got jerked around,, AA was quick and it fits real good.. clap56.gif
Demick
I've had #3 and currently have #2. Fit is fine on both. Problem with #2 is that it is 2 parts - the fiberglass upper part and the rubber lower part. Glue will not hold these together, so you have to use 8 or 10 screws (bolts). Once you've done that it is fine.

Demick
'74 2.0
TimT
Why can't they make fiberglass parts that freaking fit?

cuz its easier for them to tell you "its a racing part, you need to make it fit"

rather than they spend some time getting the molds and dimensions correct.

I just cracked a lexan 911 rear window.... it wasnt close to fitting the car so I had to trim it... it promptly cracked.

Im taking the trouble to send it back to Hank at GT racing... so he can see the 1/2 I needed to trim of the top, and the 1/4-3/8 in I ghad to trim off the other side.

Im including a nastygram saying the "its race" bullshit is wearing thin

Id be embarrased to sell some of the crap thats on the market now
campbellcj
I got a #1 on a clearance sale from Performance Prods. It fit fine w/o cutting but there is no provision for mounting included so you have to figure out your own bracketry and/or removable fastener lashup.

It is a tad too low for a street car. It has to be removed to get on/off my trailer, and scrapes on my driveway (which isn't all that steep).
seanery
Hey Demick, got any pics of the fasteners?

Chris, did you dzus fasten yours? got pics?
rhodyguy
do not get order the s.e. from gpr that comes from performance. #2 was the one that got broke. $145 to $180. the flex lip is nice. you hear it before the glass hits the sidewalk laugh.gif taking the bumper off to take the val off to trailer the car. that would get old in a hurry.

kevin
Scott Carlberg
I took this picture at the German AutoFest of this 914, with what looks to be a
911 spoiler on it.
Very similiar to your 'choice #1', but with the screen for the radiatior like on the RSR.

The pic should be attached....
campbellcj
Kevin - no need to take the bumper off to remove the #1 spoiler. The hardware is "external", at least the semi-cheesy but quickly removable way I did it. Sean - no dzus fasteners quite yet but I have them sitting here ready for some "spare time". Right now it is using rivnuts and thumbscrews -- one on each end and two towards the middle/front -- which actually works pretty well so I am in no big rush to change.
Demick
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 13 2003, 07:05 PM)

I don't have any pictures handy. I just used 8-32 or 10-32 flat head (countersunk) black oxide screws along with some countersunk finishing washers and a nylock nut on the back side. I had to paint the finishing washers black because I could only find them in silver. Turned out good.
seanery
thanks for the pic.

What I should have said was, "Do you have any pics of your valence showing the fasteners?"
I'm curious how obvious they are.

thanks.
Demick
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 14 2003, 09:38 AM)
thanks for the pic.

What I should have said was, "Do you have any pics of your valence showing the fasteners?"
I'm curious how obvious they are.

thanks.

Like I said, I don't have any pictures handy. I just included the pic of the finishing washer in case you were not familiar with them. I can try and remember to take a picture tonight and post it. It looks good. I think it even looks better with the fasteners than without.

Demick
TheCabinetmaker
Sean, I've installed two of #2. They both fit well and come with hardware to attach it from the back side.
Richard Fischer had one on his 8 at the MUSR. The rubber lip is a plus in driveways.
seanery
You know, with the fiberglass section painted body color it looks really nice!
I never would have recognized it as the same style. That one's growing on me.
IPB Image
machina
I have a #2 on my car, at speed the rubber lip folds up under the car anyway, so I took it off the car.

I never liked the rubber because it never looked good, always looked kind of ripply and uneven.

dr
TheCabinetmaker
You must be going faster than I can. My son in law has one on his car. His doesn't do that at 85. You need four hands to stretch it when you install it.
Van914
Sean,
Here is the one I have for sale. It will be choice #4, It has never been mounted and has the brake ducts cut out.
Van914
redshift
My rubber lips never do that at 130+!

That can't be the same lip..

M
drew365
My rubber lips never do that at 130+!

That can't be the same lip..

Redshift; how can you be sure? Have that kid on your hood turn around and take a pic at speed!
redshift
QUOTE(drew365 @ Oct 14 2003, 08:01 PM)
Redshift; how can you be sure? Have that kid on your hood turn around and take a pic at speed!

I can't get that kid off the hood, he won't let go, and he's starting to turn a fuzzy white... like an old piece of chicken, stuck on a stop sign...

..long story..

M
Demick
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 13 2003, 07:05 PM)

Chris, did you dzus fasten yours? got pics?

Here's a picture of the spoiler with fasteners. Car needs a wash. Also, the black oxide screws are starting show some surface rust (more noticible in the picture than in person). They have been on there for a year or so. So black oxide screws are probably not the best choice.

Demick
seanery
Thanks Demick.

That looks like a good solution.
Air_Cooled_Nut
IPB Image
Loved mine back when. Looked great and held up to downtown Portland streets (they're pretty crappy). I have a second one, originally bought from AA but it was cracked -- that one is going on to my 'new' 914.
JWest
Here is number 2 without the rubber lip installed. Gee -- look who is in the picture!
seanery
Pictured L-R

Me, James, Rich Johnson and the couple on the right I can't tell.

Oh, James, thanks for the pic. It looks pretty good even without the lower rubber.
I think that one is definitely the winner. May order one today.
JWest
Dennis and Linda who own the beautiful deep red '76 (you can just see the turn signal and bumper in that pic) are the couple on the right.

And that's Rich's Ole Yeller on the right.
RON S.
Got #1 from a.i.r.,with the O.C. cutout,$200.00 to the door,fit like crap.I asked the guy on the phone if it could come flared,he said yes no problem.It came w/o flaring.
Fit like crap,and I had to flare it myself to fit the bodywork.I had 8-10 hours smash.gif modifying it to look nice.
I was not a happy camper. fighting19.gif
Ron
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.