Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No High beams
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stieve
I put a test light on the top portion of the fuse and click on high beams, and the test light went on and off, high beams didn't illuminate, is it a bad relay? I can hear it click, and BOTH high beams don't light up, nor does the fuse stay hot when engaged. HELP!
Stieve
icon_bump.gif
zen motorcycle
I had the same problem on my 73, Probaly not the smartest thing, but I switched the High beam and low beam connectors on the relay and everything worked. I assume it was from corrosion on the connectors, but I don't want to try switching it back now to find out. Have you messed with any of your wiring recently?
Stieve
no, only tested the fuse ane the light bulb connection
914Sixer
Bad TS switch or dirty contacts in switch. The 911s in 72-73 were notorious for ruining these switches.
Stieve
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 18 2006, 09:00 PM) *

Bad TS switch or dirty contacts in switch. The 911s in 72-73 were notorious for ruining these switches.

Well Depending how fricken HOT it is tomorrow, I will tear into the column, since I have new switches and bearings and a Dino wheel to install as well as my Cold air intake.
I will let you know.
Chogokin
I had a similar problem, turned out to be the easiest thing for me.. one of the wires busted off of the plug on the back of each headlight. Not sure how but I found it when I was putting in the new headlights I got to fix the problem... should have checked it first I guess. Moral of the story, make sure to check the simple things before busting into the big stuff! biggrin.gif
Stieve
I will know more tomorrow, got into it, and decided to do the electric wiper wash install. I also swapped the HL switch, noticed #56? id disconnected(recheck number), is there suppose to be one missing on a 73?
Tobra
when my car had the exact same symptoms, it turned out to be the relay on the fuse block. I happened to have one, but i bet a VW one would work, it did for my turn signals
HeloMech
QUOTE(Tobra @ Jul 19 2006, 09:01 PM) *

when my car had the exact same symptoms, it turned out to be the relay on the fuse block. I happened to have one, but i bet a VW one would work, it did for my turn signals

OK, I've been going through this same thing... sorta. I had driving lights and high beams, no low beams. So, I took all the fuses out and cleaned, rebent the holders. I took all the wires off the fuseblock, one at a time and cleaned the connections, I took off the ground wires near the headlights and cleaned the mounting surface and connectors... tried the lights. NOTHING.. lol.

Tonight I messed with that square silver relay on the relay board under the dash. I turned the lights on.. high beams worked fine. I clicked the switch, felt the relay click over. No lowbeams. Now I wiggled the wires on the relay.. .HAY! my lowbeams just flashed. so I wiggled that one wire again... which on mine was the white wire. it works. I leaned the wire over and taped it to the side (just to keep pressure on it) and I have both headlights now. I'll try to find a new relay this week. I don't drive in the dark anyway.. but, that's where I found my problem. Now, if I could just get my headlights to CLOSE when I turn them off...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.