Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey 5 Lug Guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I didn't see one when I pulled the hub off.

Cap'n Krusty
It's pressed onto the spindle. The Cap'n
Series9
The fact that there's a wheel spacer in the picture suggests to me that that's a 930 front end.

Otherwise, I've never seen the part you highlighted.
Allan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 17 2006, 05:28 PM) *

Nothing like that pressed onto my spindles.

Joe, you're saying that only the turbo fronts have this?

Mine's not....
Series9
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jul 17 2006, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 17 2006, 05:28 PM) *

Nothing like that pressed onto my spindles.

Joe, you're saying that only the turbo fronts have this?

Mine's not....

That's my best response. I've never seen that part.
eeyore
My 914-6 struts also have that 'spacer'. The seal rides on it.
jk76.914
Yeah, my 914/6 struts have it as well. Never noticed it before. It's pressed on. Thought it was part of the strut.
TimT
Yes is pressed on, and the seal rides on it..

first there is an o-ring, then this spacer, then the seal/bearing

It looks like part of the spindle..
Allan
Fark.........
John
That spacer is what the inner grease seal rides on. It is available seperately.

The ring is actually shrunk onto the shaft.

When you get the ring, you place it on a cookie sheet and warm it up in your oven to 350 or so. You then proceed to take the HOT ring and slide it ALL THE WAY onto the spindle (ambient temp or less). Within a moment, you will not be able to move the ring. Make sure you slide it on all the way and make sure you wear protective gloves while doing it as the ring is 350 degrees.

Go ahead, ask me how I know......
Bigbohr
That piece should be on the 930 susp too. I test fitted 930 hubs on 911 SC struts and they fit nicely (with that piece installed). Must admit it's difficult to see that spacer is not an integral part of the spindle.

hijacked.gif By the way, is it normal that the inner bearing (the one that fits against the spacer) slides on easily? I mean, I had to make sure to slide the bearing on straight but with a bit of grease it went on like a breeze ...
My only experience is with rear bearings and you got to put those in a freezer to shrink before they slide in.

Thanks
Allan
Okay, I went and looked again and it's there. Just looks like it's part of the spindle.

The parts diagram also shows an o-ring. Does it go around the spacer or into the groove at the outer edge of it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.