Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer needle bounce
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
I tried the search, but didn't find anything relevent.

What causes the speedometer needle to bounce until 30-40 MPH is reached?

The speedometer works nicely on the bench....

Is it a sticky cable (slip stick) or is it a worn out miter gear at the trans?

Could this be made worse by bad routing of the cable sheath? (A kink in the cable)

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks for looking.
SirAndy
it's the cable. *every* 914 i have driven had that same issue.

as long as it get's smooth > 20mph, the cable is fine, otherwise, it's about to snap ...
smile.gif Andy
newto914s
good to know.
Thanks Andy
Toast
Mine does the same thing. And my tach whips between 1 to 4500 until running steady.
Kinda musical looking. tunez.gif

Now.......when I wear my magnetic bracellet......... wacko.gif
Stieve
Mine does the same thing with a NEW GEMO cable, I wish I knew as well...
pfierb
Mine does the same thing but I eliminated about 80% of the needle shake by smoothing out the cable routing near the front fire wall forward of the pedals....above 35mph it's smooth as silk.
Stieve
Ah! George just informed me to NOT route it throught but above the engine mounting bar. I will let you know.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Stieve @ Jul 18 2006, 09:10 AM) *

Ah! George just informed me to NOT route it throught but above the engine mounting bar. I will let you know.

the hole in the engine mount bar is for the clutch cable! route the speedo cable above the bar and zip-tie the two together close to the clutch wheel to prevent the speedo cable from dragging on the ground ...

smile.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.