Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Hub Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brer
Ok, so is it cool to bolt wheels to my rear hubs without the stub axle bolted in?
One of the hubs has a little movement, new bearings, and it kinda makes me think that it needs the stub axle bolted in it.

no bearing problem there is there?

I mean... should they be solid Tight like they are when assembled? or will they pull up tight with the torque of the axle nut.
tomamafone
I think you run the risk of destroying the bearing if you put the weight of the car on it w/o the axle stubs... am i right guys?
Series9
Yep, if you roll the car on the bearings without the nut fully tight, you will likely damage the bearings.
brer
muchos gracias.
I kind of thought that looking at the bearings.

One has a little IN-out movement, is that normal with no stub axle?

are they that delicate? or is it just the weight of the car.
Aaron Cox
new bearings tend to have slop... pulls in fine (i think torque on stub nut is 200+)

SKF's are loose, but pull in nice.

must have stubs inside hubs, or your bearings are toast with the cars weight on em
brer
Yes SKF's on it.

ONe seems firm, the other is kinda loosy.
a little in-out, a little up-down. Makes me worry.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(brer @ Jul 17 2006, 09:50 PM) *

Yes SKF's on it.

ONe seems firm, the other is kinda loosy.
a little in-out, a little up-down. Makes me worry.

torque it in smile.gif
brer
I left the axles on the tranny when i pulled it.

Today, I tried to remove the axle bolts by meself...
all I managed to do was get axle grease up to my elbows.
thing kept turning and slipping and i"m like, trying to hold one bit and get some fear on the bolt, which of course just turned the axles.

Not one bolt came loose.

fun. beerchug.gif

Hence the question about moving it without the stubs in.

Demick
How the hell did you remove the tranny with the axles attached to it? Seems like a near impossible feat to me.
Allan
QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 18 2006, 07:20 AM) *

How the hell did you remove the tranny with the axles attached to it? Seems like a near impossible feat to me.

agree.gif
brer
removed the suspension first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.