Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheel blasting question. what media? strip for powdercoat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
hey guys, i need to strip some wheels completely for powdercoating... 8 total. one set, will be powdercoated all the way around... while the second set, want to retain a polishable lip....

what media should we use? sand? glass bead?

what grit rating???

4 15x7 cookies and 4 15x5.5 4lug fuchs....
Matt Romanowski
I would probably use glass. Every supplier seems to have a different rating system (at least around here). I would start with medium - fine and work from there.

Matt
Aaron Cox
cookie cutters have been blasted before (thanks SLITS ) with a glass bead.. but didnt fully get all the factory epoxy paint suff off....

so no rough sand?
KaptKaos
popcorn[1].gif
bondo
I've used aircraft stripper and a wire brush on cookies. Takes a few days but works. That paint is some amazing stuff.
Allan
When I had my Pedrinis done the guy used soda.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bondo @ Jul 18 2006, 12:55 PM) *

I've used aircraft stripper and a wire brush on cookies. Takes a few days but works. That paint is some amazing stuff.

you are telling me!! yeah, i bought these wheels from felix, who got em from bill pickerings race car... so they had bills cool yellow and black paint, on top of the factory epoxy stuff....

took an hour per wheel i swear with glass bead at slits's place... and not all of it came off...

so sand is tooo rough?
AA
TonyAKAVW
Remember that the powder goes on pretty thick, so minor surface impercections especially those that are random won't show up so badly. If you have 1/2 mm deep pits though that would probably be too much.

-Tony
Aaron Cox
so would sand be too rough?
Eric_Shea
so would sand be too rough?

YES...

Do not use sand or glass. I had a spare (thank god it was the spare) that we glass bead blasted. It ruined the wheel. It sorta polished out but... Jim Chambers may still have it as the spare. Maybe he could post the rough stuff.

I've used plastic with decent results but my choice would be soda. You can also take them to a platers and they can remove most of the anodization etc with an acid bath. They really have to know what they are doing though.
Aaron Cox
bah! lameness.....

soda or walnut shell or plastic bead.....
where can i get a sack of the above mentioned media?
Allan
Where are you going to do it? Rons?

My guy did mine for $20.00.

Prolly cost more for the soda...
SLITS
A media blaster supply house young engineer! Plus, the cabinet you use must have the proper orifice in the gun for the material used.

Yellow pages or MSN yellow pages works wonderfully for finding stuff.
Aaron Cox
allan, when can you come get the wheels? smile.gif
SLITS
Hell Aaron, just get your SO Matt to do the bump and grind for you like he always does and stick sandpaper to his ass.....the wheels will be done in no time.
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 18 2006, 02:11 PM) *

allan, when can you come get the wheels? smile.gif

Depends how soon you need them.
Aaron Cox
Slits is a comical mother today......

well, kaptkaos' friend has a sanblaster and we thought he could take care of that for us... but it doesnt look like it.....

Allan - it was only 20 bucks to have the wheels done? im sure joe and i would be interested in that....

sounds like a trip to bakers tucky is in order smile.gif

Slits - thanks again for letting em get blasted the first time smile.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 18 2006, 02:31 PM) *

Allan - it was only 20 bucks to have the wheels done? im sure joe and i would be interested in that....

sounds like a trip to bakers tucky is in order smile.gif

He charges $100.00 an hour but got them done in less that 15 minutes. Ergo, $20.00.

He has a big ass compressor and everything comes off really fast.
Eric_Shea
well, kaptkaos' friend has a sanblaster and we thought he could take care of that for us... but it doesnt look like it.....

Buy about 40 boxes of Arm & Hammer and dump it in there. Report back wink.gif
spunone
Whats wrong with having them chemical striped ie Burrlington eng in Orange CA they used to strip alum wheels for alot of suppliers before they chrome plate the alum go figure
Aaron Cox
cost prohibitve im guessing
roadster fan
I believe grassroots racing had a project 911 they redid the wheels on. IIRC, they used oven cleaner and elbow grease to prep the wheels. It removed the anodizing and paint.

dont have time to find the article online for ya, hope this helps. smile.gif
Gint
I would think that soda would take too long, but I haven't used it so...

I glass bead blasted this wheel and sanded and polished. And if I do say so myself, it was the very nicest polished Fuch I've ever seen. Still. So I don't know why you couldn't use glass if you're going to powder coat.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
what "grit" of bead did you use...

that looks like a "20 hour" wheel...

btdt...
Gint
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jul 18 2006, 05:03 PM) *

what "grit" of bead did you use...

that looks like a "20 hour" wheel...

btdt...

I don't remember. And I'll also say that my glass bead was pretty well used at that point, so it was likely very fine.

And this was the "30 hour" wheel.

But I kid you not, it would blind you if you let the sun reflect on it and you looked at it. This thing was BLING!
KaptKaos
So it seems we don't have concensus on this yet, unless I am missing something.

Any other opinions on this topic?

Thanks.
pete-stevers
i got some cookies i would like to spruce up......too......one day
Jacco
Hey Aaron,

I've blasted these wheels with glass beads myself, no clue at how coarse, if you enlarge the pic you can see there's some roughness on the surface.
I simply painted over them with some filler primer underneath and a light sanding in between, they turned out rather nice.
If you want mirror finish you should go for something less coarse to save massive sanding time.

good luck

Jacco

Jacco
And the finished result,
(I know, not 914 wheels, but still volkswagen biggrin.gif )

KaptKaos
Those are the pirelli wheels that VW used only for a few years on the USA Wolfsburg models. Hard to find too. Nice looking wheels. How did you clean them up?
p914
Aaron
Plastic does a great job. I posted a long time ago on the Pboard how I did mine. @$20-25 per wheel and it gets all the anodization off and down to bare alloy.

They actually look good enough to mount when blasted without polishing.
Jacco

hijacked.gif

QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jul 19 2006, 10:00 AM) *

Those are the pirelli wheels that VW used only for a few years on the USA Wolfsburg models. Hard to find too. Nice looking wheels. How did you clean them up?

yup they are, '83 and '84 only I believe, in Europe they came on the Golf 1 GTI(rabbit in usa?) and later on some Golf 2 model too I believe. I've got them mounted on my 84 Golf 2.

I first tried paint stripper to no avail, paint too friggin tough. Then I decided to use the media blaster we have at our faculty. The media was glass.

cheers
Jacco

:Hijack over:
pete-stevers
aaron what the heck did you use?
let me know ...i want to redo my cookies.....purple
pete-stevers
mike can you fill us in on how you got to that finish.....start to finish.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.