Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "show" carb lids
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
I know almost every member just plunked down 35 bones for a club badge, but here's something to adorn your k&n or other intake setup. i'm just gauging interest at this time, so let me know if you might be interested...

• the basic top has a channel cut to seat the filter. the edges are nicely polished to clear.
• cut to fit standard filter sizes
• basic art can be added at $5-10 more, or you supply vector art.
• custom art/design available (quote $)

clear ones might be about $15.00 each or $25.00/pair
i could have some "standard" art for a small setup/etching fee.
you could send your vector art, or creative services available.
Click to view attachment

here's one i did for myself. i don't have permission to reproduce it, but if i get enough interest...
Click to view attachment

thanks for your feedback
paul
IanStott
Those are very nice! Are you going to make a bunch and then take orders ?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Air_Cooled_Nut
Will it handle a back-fire?
Scott S

Been making these for my car for almost 10 years. I have used both Lexan and good old fashioned Home Depot plexi. Cut to size, add a bit of door "U" channel (bought a pile of it off of two junk yard 924's for $3) and drill for your mounting bolt.

Even if your carbs a balanced really well (no "pisst") they discolor pretty quickly. I have put 10k miles on my car since 1996 and have gone through 5 or 6 pairs. I have heard that a backfire can cause them to melt/catch fire, but I have never had any issues.

I think they look really cool - I just got lazy and put the aluminum ones back on after my last set started to stain. One thing - you absolutely have to put a rubber washer inbetween the cover and the steel washer/wing nuts - other wise they will break if you even slightly over tighten. I put small rubber fuel line over the mounting post inside the aircleaner so I knew when to stop - they flex alot.
lotus_65
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jul 18 2006, 10:16 AM) *

Been making these for my car for almost 10 years. I have used both Lexan and good old fashioned Home Depot plexi. Cut to size, add a bit of door "U" channel (bought a pile of it off of two junk yard 924's for $3) and drill for your mounting bolt.

Even if your carbs a balanced really well (no "pisst") they discolor pretty quickly. I have put 10k miles on my car since 1996 and have gone through 5 or 6 pairs. I have heard that a backfire can cause them to melt/catch fire, but I have never had any issues.

I think they look really cool - I just got lazy and put the aluminum ones back on after my last set started to stain. One thing - you absolutely have to put a rubber washer inbetween the cover and the steel washer/wing nuts - other wise they will break if you even slightly over tighten. I put small rubber fuel line over the mounting post inside the aircleaner so I knew when to stop - they flex alot.

hey, scott.

thanks for the feedback! i only use them at shine-and-shows or when i cruise the lakes & not for everyday. they can be coated (after paint if applicable) to make them more duarble against fuel/oil.
i started with home depot stock, but i couldn't get the edge polished... are yours? how did you do it? i completely agree with adding a spacer, my first set cracked too! i was going to add a nice piece if i sold them, understand too that the engraved channels eliminate some of that need.

i figured the (custom) engraving, polished edges and no running to the depot for blank stock and a band saw might interest some out there.

air-cooled-nut: they're strong. but like i said, i don't use them for much... and i fixed my backfire, so i guess i'm not entirely sure. smile.gif

ian, i would have blanks on hand. i was even thinking about engraving some basic designs to have on hand, but i don't know about that yet. in any case, the blanks are technically available now.

thanks
Joe Ricard
Those are kinda cool
lotus_65
thanks.
'nuther pic
Click to view attachment
Allan
Ya got them for sixes?
retrotech
Not for show, but good for go.
lotus_65
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jul 18 2006, 09:03 PM) *

Ya got them for sixes?

yep, almost any filter shape for that matter.

i'd just need a filter dimension or a manufacturer/model number...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.