Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield seal auction... this is crazy...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten

Ebay Auction
cooltimes
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jul 18 2006, 07:39 AM) *

Dumber than dumb is what they be,
You know that bids so stupid won't come from Tennessee
There has to be a reason for dumbness like that
the answer is pure and simple, for 914 owners like me. you see
they bid it higher themselves
and end up with a rubber they hoped to use on you and me.

MikeCool
Oakfield TN
VaccaRabite
Is that the fabled NLA targa seal?

wow

Zach
SLITS
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 18 2006, 09:27 AM) *

Is that the fabled NLA targa seal?

wow

Zach

It certainly is Ollie.......................
boxstr
ejconrad has a very good friend in warrenwardcox.
Check the bid history.
CCLINEBAYORMYWAY
tdgray
I'm expecting heywoodjablowme to show up anytime and bid it up to a cool grr.

That's F'in nuts huh.gif

If they are going to go for that much, I'll get my Uncle to extruded some in his factory, sell them and retire. blink.gif
GeorgeRud
I wonder if someone's trying to finish up a car for the upcoming PCA Parade in Portland? Can't see another reason to go that high otherwise. If they are that much, even Porsche AG might start making them again!
nomore9one4
A fool and his money! slap.gif
Brad Roberts
Guy's,

all it takes is a phone call:

"Hey Andy, bid this up for me"

"Hey Britain, bid this up for me"

When someone bites that is legit.. sell it too them.

I dont believe some of the HIGH pricing we see. I call bullshit.

I have been called multiple times to help bid something up.

A girl here at work this week asked me to bid on a motorcycle her husband is trying to sell.

B
jimkelly
the seller seems legit - see his description ----

"This is the seal that goes between the window frame and the Targa top and vent windows. The Porsche part number is 914.563.039. I purchased this in the 80's and it has been sitting in a box ever since. It is in new condition and feels that way. New from a dealer this seal is over $275."

It is odd that all the bidders have decent scores with ebay??

G e o r g e
i don't know if it is bad bidding warren and the high bidder have both been buying teener stuff.

they probably came by here noticed all of the want for this and figure it is there only hope.

can probably find a junk car with a descent one for half the cash, but........

beerchug.gif
watsonrx13
This is very interesting. I have a NOS brand new windshield rubber seal.

Now, what would you pay to purchase this NLA seal? I'm not trying to have a bidding war, just trying to gauge what the 'average' 914 owner would pay for the seal....

-- Rob
poohsan
While everyone is discussing this I’ll take the opportunity to ask...

What are my options to find this seal or all of the cabin seals? I literally have scraps left for most of the seals. Are there any shops that sell reproductions?

For now I’m willing to take anyone’s discarded used seals.

-Arron
914Sixer
Some of this stuff has gotten out of hand. I tried to buy a car here in San Antonio. People seen some of the prices on Ebay and they think they have a f------ gold mine. Appearently there are lots of desperate people out there or full blown idiots!!!!!!
PRS914-6
Be patient. Porsche HAS NOT discontinued it yet. It is only unavailable at this moment. It could be available tomorrow or 3 months from now. My suggestion is to order one and get on a back order with a Porsche dealer. The demand may get Porsche to expedite a little better.....I have one on back order and Porsche distributes back orders based on dates.
Thack
I might consider having an extrusion mold made and make a few of these. If I had a new one I would sell it to the next highest bidder, if he will buy it.
Hey Sixer, I'm going to sell my car soon. I'll shoot pics or give you any info you want.
boxstr
Currently $710. 1 hour 45 mins left in the auction. The new Saratoga top.
CCLINBIDMEUPSCOTTY
watsonrx13
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jul 18 2006, 09:21 PM) *

This is very interesting. I have a NOS brand new windshield rubber seal.

Now, what would you pay to purchase this NLA seal? I'm not trying to have a bidding war, just trying to gauge what the 'average' 914 owner would pay for the seal....

-- Rob

I've had a number of requests to purchase the seal that I have, but I obviously misrepresented myself. I'm not trying to sell it, just trying to gauge the price someone would be willing to spend to have one. The reason is that there are several very creative individuals on this board and if they knew a ball park figure of price and quantities then they could calculate whether it would be a good business decission to produce them. I remember that SLITS was trying to get the OEM in Germany to produce some more of these seals, but he was/is currently unsucessful. If you would like to post your price here, it might help anyone thinking of producing or importing this seal for the whole 914 community.

-- Rob
thomasotten
I talked with George at AA two days ago about their repro seal in the works, and he said he had 400 preorders. Still 6-7 weeks away. I'm affraid a repro would just tie me over, or a decent used one. Anyone got a decent used one? Mine is torn up badly on the top and hard as a rock. My sides are OK. I need one because I will be painting the car shortly, and the thing needs to come off to spray the windshild frame perfectly.
SLITS
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jul 19 2006, 04:00 AM) *

I remember that SLITS was trying to get the OEM in Germany to produce some more of these seals, but he was/is currently unsucessful. If you would like to post your price here, it might help anyone thinking of producting or importing this seal for the whole 914 community.

-- Rob

You are correct and I'm still trying. My deposit money is still sitting in Germany. If Porsche makes a run of them, they will be available thru normal channels and if the last price on them was $279, they certainly won't go for less.

If you look carefully at the seal, it appears is is not just one extrusion / profile. It is somewhere between 3 and 5 extrusions / profiles with embedded metal that are glued together. I know little of the process or what is required to make the various profiles. Anybody have the engineering drawings on the seal?

AA says 400 queries and I had somewhere around 60, so there's 500 of the little buggers already.

As for myself, I am really leary of a "repro". Maybe it's because I have bought some AA "repros" and find them less than desireable, but that's another story.
tdgray
Having worked in my Uncle's extrusion plant I know a little about how these seals are "spliced" together. Slits is correct I counted at least four profiles that would have to be done.

That in itself would not be bad but the metal inside would pose a serious problem.

If anyone is serious about making these I can act as a go between through my Uncle's shop. Lot of work though, design etc.
Flat VW
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jul 18 2006, 10:08 PM) *

The new Saratoga top. thumb3d.gif

QUOTE(tdgray @ Jul 19 2006, 06:40 AM) *

Slits is correct ....
smash.gif
That in itself would not be bad but...

John
cassidy_bolger
I bet the number of interested parties would go way up if it became known that OEM or good repro's are available. I don't need one desperately, but if they were out there I would replace mine.

thesey914
I have also been told that the factory seals will be available soon. The story that I heard was that there was a batch of dodgy ones that kept tearing in the corner. Porsche has sent them all back to the manufacturer and they'll have to come up with some new ones
balljoint
People often mistake Sea-Lions for Seals.
GWN7
chairfall.gif

There are 5 parts to the seal...Main center piece, two corners and two down legs. You can see where they were glued together. As to the corner with the metal inserts, you make the it in two parts, insert the metal piece and glue it together...
thesey914
theres a joke waiting to happen about blowing a seal....
norustscott
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Jul 19 2006, 12:13 PM) *

theres a joke waiting to happen about blowing a seal....

... the mechanic says to the penguin, " looks like you've blown a seal" to which teh penguin replies, naw,just finished an ice cream cone....
SLITS
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Jul 19 2006, 12:52 PM) *

I have also been told that the factory seals will be available soon. The story that I heard was that there was a batch of dodgy ones that kept tearing in the corner. Porsche has sent them all back to the manufacturer and they'll have to come up with some new ones

I've been told that since February and I've been told that the seals were shipping on ___/____, ____/____, _____/____ (you fill in the blanks).
JPB
av-943.gif Now thats a keeper.
thesey914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 19 2006, 10:31 PM) *

I've been told that since February

Well the supplier I'm using says thats direct from the factory...maybe be some truth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.