Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tech Sessions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
If you were going to sit and listen to a 1 - 1:30 hour tech session, what topics might you be interested in?

Here's my list:

1. Type IV Building
2. Six Conversions
3. Suspension Modifications
4. 914/Porsche History
5. Transmission Operation and Rebuilding

What else are people interested in? Or would you even care about seeing a tech session?
grasshopper
rust repair... chairfall.gif
lapuwali
Basic maintenance, like valve adjustments, ignition timing, checking wheel bearings, replacing brake pads, etc. Aimed at those people who haven't wrenched much, but would like to learn how.

And I think rust repair and welding would actually be a very good topic.

nebreitling
i'd be in for a transmission day.
echocanyons
I'd drive to the bay area for a transmission tech session and probably others
Root_Werks
Back when I did a couple for the PNWR I found keeping them general worked well. One session I had valve adjustments going on a 914-4 and 911. People liked that, something they could learn and take home and put to use.

The other one I remember doing was a rear wheel bearing on a 911 which is pretty much the same as on a 914. Just make sure you are ready for questions. Remember, if you are putting on the show, people expect nothing less than you're they expert. smash.gif
HeloMech
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 18 2006, 09:43 AM) *

Basic maintenance, like valve adjustments, ignition timing, checking wheel bearings, replacing brake pads, etc. Aimed at those people who haven't wrenched much, but would like to learn how.

agree.gif

Not even so much just for people who haven't wrenched much, but for people new to these particular cars. I've worked on several OTHER cars and helicopters but that doesn't mean I know squat about what makes these little devils tick... or, not tick. Even a day session to go over all the common issues with headlights, FI, fuses, relays, basic road upgrades, etc etc etc.

Now, Welding? hm, Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing what other people do with welding on cars. Welding sheet metal would be interesting. Not warping things and doing more damage than good, etc.

Pulling the engine/trans for the first time might be cool.

Good call... yeah, I'd def. be up for some tech sessions in the area. thumb3d.gif
Doug Leggins
Tech sessions would be great!!!

A couple more topics to consider.

-Carb tuning/balancing
-Wheel alignment
TROJANMAN
we have informal tech sessions/get togethers all the time in CO, and they are extemely helpful.
Chris Pincetich
I live in the Bay Area and would go to tech sessions if they included
1) Pizza
2) Beer
3) Funny stories
4) Useful info for my 914 project

in that order w00t.gif
beerchug.gif
Demick
1. D-jet basics

2. MPS functionality (for those who want to learn how it works and what effect each adjustment has)

(These aren't topics I need to see, but ones that others might be interested in)
lapuwali
I would probably generalize the D-Jet discussion (and esp. the MPS discussion) into an FI theory topic, with specifics on D-Jet, L-Jet, and aftermarket stuff. The tuning is really generic to all FI systems, and plenty of people don't have a good grasp of the tuning basics to make use of details about D-Jet, or any other EFI system.

This kind of tech session would require a whiteboard or other visual aids to be effective, IMHO.

On the timeframe, an hour to an hour and a half isn't enough for some of these topics. I'd go for more like 3 hours, which is probably about the max you could do without overtiring everyone.

Jenny
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 18 2006, 09:43 AM) *

agree.gif Might save me a couple trips to HPH as well as some $$.

Jen
Dave_Darling
Electrical troubleshooting. Multimeter use, reading electrical diagrams, how a relay works, how your gauges work, etc. (More or less, the talk I gave at one of the ECRs a few years back.)

I think 60-90 minutes is about as long as most of us would be willing to sit through--not counting Q&A, BS'ing, and so on.

--DD
Dr Evil
I have been thinking along the same lines. I can do a regional tranny tech session for sure. I like the electrical idea as well. Heck, we COULD do a monthly tech session and just rotate topics and venues. If we get really fancy we could telavise one on the net so the whole world could watch!

Dave, great choice for your avitar. that was my favorite pic of you so far. "Damn lying smurfette, she said she was clean!"
Trevorg7
I would probably generalize the D-Jet discussion (and esp. the MPS discussion) into an FI theory topic, with specifics on D-Jet, L-Jet, and aftermarket stuff. The tuning is really generic to all FI systems, and plenty of people don't have a good grasp of the tuning basics to make use of details about D-Jet, or any other EFI system.

I think tech sessions are a great Idea. I like Jim's idea so much I'll volunteer my car, 1.7 with dual 34icts, to be converted to FI; I have a box full of a complete D-jet. I would even by a buy a MS brain for installation. Working under the assumption I can drive it home or that it’s done at my house. I can provide beer, food, pool, hot tub, tools, air compressor, 4 jack stands, and 2 jacks.

Rust repair is a welcome topic too.

Thanks
lapuwali
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 18 2006, 11:32 AM) *

I think 60-90 minutes is about as long as most of us would be willing to sit through--not counting Q&A, BS'ing, and so on.

--DD

Depends on the topic. Type IV or transmission rebuilding would be hard to do much justice to in 90 minutes.

Electrical troubleshooting (another great idea) would be a good 60min topic.

McMark
Great ideas everyone. Keep 'em coming.
dlee1967
Topics:

Brake system rebuild including master, lines,and all calipers.
External oil cooler installation
Preparing a car for long term storage.
Bringing a car back from extended storage (no use for years).
Conversion from FI to carbs.
FI safety check and repair.
Backdate bumpers.
Sway bar installations.
Brake upgrade for track use.
Preparing for a track event (PCA DE).
Clutch replacement.
5 lug retrofit.
914 oil leaks.
914 wheel allignment.

Leo Imperial
This is a great idea. I like the idea of rotation information between regions. Once a format has been established information could be shared. Ray mital has been extending his lift time to other members in NNJ and I think all those that have attended have learned something. I would be willing to participate in a sharing of the Tool Box Talk for the NJ area.
brer
I would be happy to host an engine assembly session.

tongue.gif
ejm
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 18 2006, 02:32 PM) *

Electrical troubleshooting. Multimeter use, reading electrical diagrams, how a relay works, how your gauges work, etc. (More or less, the talk I gave at one of the ECRs a few years back.)

I'm still not clear on which way electrons flow rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
r_towle
the basics.
How to set up your brakes properly..venting, bleeding etc...
Sub topic could be brake pads..types and uses.

Elec is a must.

And basic FI troubleshooting..vacuum leaks, fuel pumps, relays etc..

Rich
toon1
MEGASQUIRT! topic

awhile back I brought up this very same topic, fell on deaf ears. Glad to see there is interest
Demick
1. Proper use of screw-in wheel studs.
2. Selection of steel braided brake lines.
3. Approved applications of silicone sealant.
4. Performance advantages of K&N air filters
5. How to get the most out of your Fram oil filter.
6. Being prepared for getting stranded due to Pertronix failure.

I can probably think of a few more........
lapuwali
QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 18 2006, 02:24 PM) *

1. Proper use of screw-in wheel studs.
2. Selection of steel braided brake lines.
3. Approved applications of silicone sealant.
4. Performance advantages of K&N air filters
5. How to get the most out of your Fram oil filter.
6. Being prepared for getting stranded due to Pertronix failure.

I can probably think of a few more........

I take it this session to be hosted by the Cap'n hisself? Probably features a large trash can?
JPB
Awsome idea and I would like a bumper to bumper chapter by chapter how to of everything.

drooley.gif I'd like an order of that and hold the special snos.

IDEA: -AutoX basics, "How To Make Her A Champ for under $500"
-Engine rebuilding and blueprinting
-Getting rich owning a 914 repair shop
bernbomb914
I need trans info
KELTY360
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 18 2006, 11:32 AM) *

--DD

agree.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ejm @ Jul 18 2006, 01:40 PM) *

I'm still not clear on which way electrons flow rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

(Psst--neither are many EE's... wink.gif )

I take it this session to be hosted by the Cap'n hisself? Probably features a large trash can?

Or next to a big lake. To see if any of them float!

--DD
TimT
I think 1,2 &5 are to complex for the scope of a 1-1/2 hour tech session.

We have tech sessions, they usually end up being about 3-4 hours with Coffee, BS etc..

Topics that can be covered in the timeframe you looking at, Valvle adjustment, Timing, track set-up (lite)

We also have held raffles, in one case the raffle winners car was used for the corner balance. alignment demo.

Now that we have a chassis dyno, we are going to have a dyno day tech session, and raffle some free dyno pulls..( maybe,, its in the planning stages)
anthony
Mark, I'd easily pay a couple hundred or more for a 1-2 day class on building up a type IV.
Bleyseng
Djet troubleshooting could be done in an 1 1/2 easy. Pretty basic stuff

Tuning is another story.....

Switching to 911 front suspension
Installing front bearing-either poly bronze or that other guys needle bearings
Installing new shifter bushings and adjusting the shift lever

We just did the "How to swap early bumpers onto a rubber bumper 914 in the parking lot"

av-943.gif
HeloMech
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 18 2006, 03:58 PM) *

and hey... if you need a 73 1.7 which is ready to DEMONSTRATE the issues with D-Jet ... I've got a demonstrator. It's pretty... sorta... why don't it run? class? bueller? anyone? let's see now. If I take off my left sock and touch this wire......

w00t.gif
Rusty
I firmly believe that tech sessions that are given via slides... are less than optimal. (There are exceptions to that rule, yeah, yeah...)

But why give a class with slides and handouts on brakes, when you can get a bunch of old calipers and have people in small groups actually disassemble the calipers?

Hands on classes... or classes with the car on the lift... are so much better.

One of the very best tech sessions I can recall was Clay's class on troubleshooting wiring faults. We walked out to the car and he started to demonstrate in front of us how to troubleshoot the wiring on tail lights.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jul 18 2006, 10:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jul 18 2006, 03:58 PM) *

and hey... if you need a 73 1.7 which is ready to DEMONSTRATE the issues with D-Jet ... I've got a demonstrator. It's pretty... sorta... why don't it run? class? bueller? anyone? let's see now. If I take off my left sock and touch this wire......

w00t.gif

You should have hooked up with me at the WCC06 while we were in the parking lot. Had a bunch a tools with me too for sorting out Djet. sad.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jul 19 2006, 03:33 AM) *

Hands on classes... or classes with the car on the lift... are so much better.

agree.gif
terrymason
This is an awesome idea! I second the idea of having it in video format, for those of us on the right coast. You could even offer copies of the movie in exchange for a club donation or something. I don't know what it costs to have this non-club online, but it's got to be something.

I'm a beginner, and would be very interested in:

1. valve adjustment
2. how to time a 914
3. brakes - replace pads

mostly things that are specific to the 914
lapuwali
Funny thing is, Terry, that these things AREN'T specific to the 914. There are only 2-3 different ways valves need to be adjusted (the 914 happens to use the easiest). Ignition timing is pretty generic, with very little 914 specific information. Working on the 914 brakes is almost entirely the same as working on brakes on other cars.

However, if you've never done any of these, learning on the 914 is way to go, and most of these can be helped by watching someone else do it, then having them watch you do it.

Bleyseng
agree.gif

Thats how I have been teaching Blair! He watches/helps me on something on my car then he does it on his car with me watching/helping.

When I go to local guys homes for a "help me fix" session I try as much to help guide them to do the work talking them though it. Its actually easier to just do it myself but then they don't learn. On the job experience is key.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Jul 18 2006, 06:09 PM) *

I need trans info

Yo Bernie, you can always ask idea.gif happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.