Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbee Brake Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
apcook
I am about to become the new owner of a 74 914 2.0. I pick it up this Saturday. Not my first Porsche by any means, but my first 914. My 911 will enjoy the company in the garage!

The PO says that when he drives it, the left rear caliper sticks on occassion. He re-bleeds that wheel and can continue on.

Any thoughts on what is going on. Usually calipers stick all the time, or at least bleeding doesn't free them up. Do I need a new caliper, new lines or what? Thanks in advance.
lapuwali
QUOTE(apcook @ Jul 18 2006, 11:02 AM) *

I am about to become the new owner of a 74 914 2.0. I pick it up this Saturday. Not my first Porsche by any means, but my first 914. My 911 will enjoy the company in the garage!

The PO says that when he drives it, the left rear caliper sticks on occassion. He re-bleeds that wheel and can continue on.

Any thoughts on what is going on. Usually calipers stick all the time, or at least bleeding doesn't free them up. Do I need a new caliper, new lines or what? Thanks in advance.

I'd guess the flex lines are swelling internally, and bleeding relieves the pressure build up. I'd start by replacing all of the flex lines (not a bad idea, anyway), and strongly consider having the calipers rebuilt. Eric Shea (see the vendors section) does a fabulous job of this.
apcook
So should I just put all new stainless lines on it and be done with it?
r_towle
In a street car, new rubber ones are fine.
over time they become constricted, and the inside gets filled with gunk.
It makes the brakes not release as quickly...

Go for new rubber ones, or DOT approved stainless.
the rubber ones last about 30 years.

Also, look up www.foreignintrigue.com.

Rich
Leo Imperial
Go with what they said, but do make sure you get the DOT approved stainless.

Stainless line can break/burst/bubble - Ask me how I know sad.gif

Also welcome.png

And thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Eric_Shea
New rubber lines.

Your pistons may be kinda gunked up causing the "occasional" part of it.

If it's the lines doing that, it's fairly consistent (on the one's I've seen).

It doesn't take too long to yank the wheel, pull the pads, couple of 19mm bolts and lift the calipers enough to get an assesment of the dust boots etc.

welcome.png
apcook
I will order up 4 new lines for it then. I will go with the rubber as I read since posting this that the stainless ones are not all they are cracked up to be.
I am very familiar with Foreign Intrigue. They are here in Maine with me. I have ordered from them before with great results.
Thanks to all who responded so quickly. I will post pics as soon as I actually get the car home. Hopefully that will be this weekend. Thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.