Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
donj44
hi all im new her just learning i have a 74 914 not sure what engine size as im still learning in need of a fuel pump does anyone know if i can use any fuel pump that pumps the right pressure and if i can do i just plug the return
lapuwali
Slow down...

Why do you think you need a fuel pump?

You don't want to "plug the return" on an EFI setup, you want the full "round trip" from tank to pump to fuel rail to tank. This reduces the chance of a vapor lock. An inline pump will still allow a full return.
donj44
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 18 2006, 03:35 PM) *

Slow down...

Why do you think you need a fuel pump?

You don't want to "plug the return" on an EFI setup, you want the full "round trip" from tank to pump to fuel rail to tank. This reduces the chance of a vapor lock. An inline pump will still allow a full return.

ok my fuel pump runs but mnot pumping any fuel
lapuwali
Blockage in the tank or blockage in the fuel lines, I'd guess. Fuel pumps generally don't run but not pump unless they're leaking very badly, or there's no fuel going in.
donj44
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 18 2006, 03:54 PM) *

Blockage in the tank or blockage in the fuel lines, I'd guess. Fuel pumps generally don't run but not pump unless they're leaking very badly, or there's no fuel going in.

i just took my fuel pump off and put a hose on the s and put it in a can of gas hooked a bettery to it it runs but no fuel so can i use any other pumps and what do i do with the return line
lapuwali
If you're still running stock EFI, then any fuel pump rated to work with 30psi will be enough. You'll generally find most fuel injection pumps out there will subtantially exceed this, since modern EFI runs at more like 45psi, rather than 29-30 like DJet does.

The stock setup has a Y in the return line, going to both the pump and the tank. You can replace this with a straight coupling, or just replace the section of line from the regulator to the tunnel return line to eliminate the Y to the fuel pump.

It's a good time to replace all of the rubber fuel lines to prevent leaks from aging, cracked lines.
tdgray
QUOTE(donj44 @ Jul 18 2006, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Jul 18 2006, 03:54 PM) *

i just took my fuel pump off and put a hose on the s and put it in a can of gas hooked a bettery to it it runs but no fuel so can i use any other pumps and what do i do with the return line

Again... sloooow down grasshoper.

I have had many a fuel problem trust me. Here are the things you need to do.

1) Check the lines anyway. Make sure they are not blocked.
2) Check the fuel filter. Replace.
3) Check out Summit Racing or Jegs or whatever. I puchased an MSD fuel injection pump for about $85.00.
4) Even if you have an aftermarket pump... you still have to return the gas to the tank. This system is a loop system. Gas comes from the tank... goes to the pump... up to the fuel rail... past the injectors... and back to the tank (yes I know I omited the pressure valve- let's not confuse him right off).

Take a little time and study the system. It took me awhile as the PO had disconnected everthing and hooked it all up backwards. Fun Stuff.

bd1308
and be careful. I hooked it up backwards and realized my mistake. Just as I was disconnecting everything, POW! a line shoots off pressurized still from the pump running fuel into the wrong side of the regulator and shoots gas into my eyes and face and mouth.

DONT EVER GET GAS IN YOUR EARS. burns like a mother.

b
donj44
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Jul 18 2006, 05:19 PM) *

and be careful. I hooked it up backwards and realized my mistake. Just as I was disconnecting everything, POW! a line shoots off pressurized still from the pump running fuel into the wrong side of the regulator and shoots gas into my eyes and face and mouth.

DONT EVER GET GAS IN YOUR EARS. burns like a mother.

b

so your telling me i will need to omit the pressure valve ?
RoadGlue

You'll need a pressure valve whether or not you're running the stock fuel injection or carbs, though each fuel system requires a different regulator.

We need to know whether or not your 914 has the stock fuel injection or if it has been converted to carb(s). If it has been converted, then we'll need to know if you have one or two carbs.

Answer this, and it will be MUCH easier to give you some advice.

If your 914 is still injected, then you might want to check out the diagrams on Pelican Part's site at http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...el_diagrams.htm

Looking forward to your response, and...

welcome.png
donj44
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 18 2006, 11:06 PM) *

You'll need a pressure valve whether or not you're running the stock fuel injection or carbs, though each fuel system requires a different regulator.

We need to know whether or not your 914 has the stock fuel injection or if it has been converted to carb(s). If it has been converted, then we'll need to know if you have one or two carbs.

Answer this, and it will be MUCH easier to give you some advice.

If your 914 is still injected, then you might want to check out the diagrams on Pelican Part's site at http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/technical_...el_diagrams.htm

Looking forward to your response, and...
i got the car 5 years ago its been in my garageso i decided to get it running or sell it yes it is a stock injection
welcome.png

RoadGlue
QUOTE(donj44 @ Jul 19 2006, 05:50 AM) *

i got the car 5 years ago its been in my garageso i decided to get it running or sell it yes it is a stock injection

Great!

You've got a big project ahead of you if you're serious about getting the car running. It sounds like you are at crossroads, and may just sell the car. To get it running for daily use will involve rebuilding much more than just the fuel system if the car has been sitting for five years. You didn't specify when the car last ran, so maybe it sat in someone else's garage for five years before you got it.

Before you do anything you should check for rust in the deepest pockets of the engine compartment, especially near the battery tray. Then check the suspension mounts for rust. If you're willing, remove the rocker panels (the long panels that go along each side of the car) and check for rust there too. Rust problems can be fixed, but we can discuss that later.

Point being, the fuel tank should be removed and professionally cleaned, inspected, sealed. All fuel lines should be replaced (and there are some beneath the tank that can be replaced rather easily when the tank is out).

Do the brakes work? I'd replace all four of the soft lines and if they're not working then you might find yourself in need of a new master cylinder and having to rebuild all four brake calipers.

The motor's various oil seals are probably rotten now, so oil will likely leak from the pushrod tube seals, valve covers, main and fan seals, etc. You should also adjust the valves, change the oil (now!), set the ignition point's dwell, check/set timing, etc

Stock D-Jet fuel injection works well on a car that's driven regularly, but often needs a lot of attention on cars that have sat. Along with replacing all the fuel lines you'll need to also replace the intake runner seals that connect the plenum to the intake manifolds. The fuel injector seals are also going to need replacing, as will the various vacuum hoses. There's a chance that the injectors themselves will need cleaning/rebuilding/replacing too.

Sorry if this isn't encouraging, but I'm just trying to give you a realistic idea of what you're getting yourself into. A lot of us have gone through this list many times, and oddly enough really enjoy bringing these cars back from the dead. happy11.gif

We haven't posted many formal tech articles on this site yet, so I'd recommend looking over the various articles at Pelican Parts to get an idea of what's involved in fixing some of what's going to be wrong with your car - http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914world.htm

You can do it to, but you'll need a lot of patience, a little money (or a LOT of money if you have someone else do this stuff for you) and you'll need to lean on this club a bunch.
Good luck!
donj44
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jul 19 2006, 10:59 AM) *

QUOTE(donj44 @ Jul 19 2006, 05:50 AM) *

Great!

You've got a big project ahead of you if you're serious about getting the car running. It sounds like you are at crossroads, and may just sell the car. To get it running for daily use will involve rebuilding much more than just the fuel system if the car has been sitting for five years. You didn't specify when the car last ran, so maybe it sat in someone else's garage for five years before you got it.

Before you do anything you should check for rust in the deepest pockets of the engine compartment, especially near the battery tray. Then check the suspension mounts for rust. If you're willing, remove the rocker panels (the long panels that go along each side of the car) and check for rust there too. Rust problems can be fixed, but we can discuss that later.

Point being, the fuel tank should be removed and professionally cleaned, inspected, sealed. All fuel lines should be replaced (and there are some beneath the tank that can be replaced rather easily when the tank is out).

Do the brakes work? I'd replace all four of the soft lines and if they're not working then you might find yourself in need of a new master cylinder and having to rebuild all four brake calipers.

The motor's various oil seals are probably rotten now, so oil will likely leak from the pushrod tube seals, valve covers, main and fan seals, etc. You should also adjust the valves, change the oil (now!), set the ignition point's dwell, check/set timing, etc

Stock D-Jet fuel injection works well on a car that's driven regularly, but often needs a lot of attention on cars that have sat. Along with replacing all the fuel lines you'll need to also replace the intake runner seals that connect the plenum to the intake manifolds. The fuel injector seals are also going to need replacing, as will the various vacuum hoses. There's a chance that the injectors themselves will need cleaning/rebuilding/replacing too.

Sorry if this isn't encouraging, but I'm just trying to give you a realistic idea of what you're getting yourself into. A lot of us have gone through this list many times, and oddly enough really enjoy bringing these cars back from the dead. happy11.gif

We haven't posted many formal tech articles on this site yet, so I'd recommend looking over the various articles at Pelican Parts to get an idea of what's involved in fixing some of what's going to be wrong with your car - http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914world.htm

You can do it to, but you'll need a lot of patience, a little money (or a LOT of money if you have someone else do this stuff for you) and you'll need to lean on this club a bunch.
Good luck!
you didnt discourage me at all i checked it out no rust arond the battery no rust around any suspension rocker are fine a little rust up front in back of the front wheels brakes are fine and lines look new
i turn the engine over alot spray gas in the air intake and it fires but u sure are helping me alot
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.