Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone install the Odyssey battery?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
OK, so we are about to rejoin the car with it's motor and fire her up for the first time ever with the 2.0+. Time has come to buy a battery. Like the Odyessey PC680MJT cause its small and only weighs 15.4 lbs. Thats 25 lbs less than the Optima. But how the heck do you secure it in place. Anyone installed one? How did you secure it? The factory clamp seems awfully weak for this battery. confused24.gif The reason being there is no real pad at the bottom of this battery.
Joe Ricard
Steel strap and some fasteners.

my rule book doesn't care as long as it in secured. I put mine on the forward part of he engine bay "just above the hell hole"
put a 1/4-20 bolt through a 1/2" wide 16ga. steel strap. bent it to fit battery shape laying on it's side. secured the other end of strap to engine bay apron???? what ever you call it. with 1/4-20 bolt and wing nut.
Very secure and is lower than stock. mine only weighs 12 pounds???? not metal cased.
nebreitling
got mine in the cabin (behind pass. seat) secured with a custom aluminum hinge strap.
mskala
William,
I had some 16ga metal around, made a plate that matched the shape
of the battery tray, fastened the odyssey to it. The plate is held in by
the original hold-down bolt and by fitting under the opposite side.
Hard to describe.
william harris
Hey Mark. Maybe I better drive up to Newbury and check it out. How did you attach the battery to the 16ga plate? Are you generally happy with the battery. I like the small size and 15lbs or so weight.
rickyhgarcia
In the August issue of Excellence Magazine (just out) there is an article about installing the Odyssey battery in a 944. They have some pretty neat brackets to mount it in the 944 battery tray. They claim a weight reduction of 22 pounds...with the actual weight of the battery ar 13.5 pounds. I was so impressed with the article, that I would like to buy one for my car.

Where did you get yours?
JPB
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Wee, just busted my cheery!
turboman808
I bought a custom oddessey battery holder on ebay. Not that expensive really and looks really nice.

Here is one I haven't seen. Really cheap also.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Odyssey-PC6...1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the same one I have
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Odyssey-PC6...1QQcmdZViewItem

IPB Image
r_towle
QUOTE(william harris @ Jul 18 2006, 04:18 PM) *

OK, so we are about to rejoin the car with it's motor and fire her up for the first time ever with the 2.0+. Time has come to buy a battery. Like the Odyessey PC680MJT cause its small and only weighs 15.4 lbs. Thats 25 lbs less than the Optima. But how the heck do you secure it in place. Anyone installed one? How did you secure it? The factory clamp seems awfully weak for this battery. confused24.gif The reason being there is no real pad at the bottom of this battery.

beerchug.gif boldblue.gif thumb3d.gif Its about TIme!!! poke.gif
TimT
I got the Odyssey mount for the 680 from

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/battery2a.htm
anthony
What does one give up with an Odyssey over an Optima? The extra 22 pounds in the Optima must do something beneficial.

TimT
With the odyssey, your engine should be in the state of tune wherer it will fire up quickly. The Odyssey 680 will not crank &crank
lapuwali
I'd speculate that what you're giving up is cold (arctic conditions) starting ability, and the ability to crank and crank to get a tempermental engine lit. For a racing car or a California daily driver in good tune, this should be fine. If you're running and really need a high-torque starter, you might not be able to use one of these batteries.

According to Optima's site, the Group 34 (the most common, fits in the 914) weighs 43lbs. Various sources have the PC680 at 12-14lbs. Excellence said 22lbs, but this looks like 29-32lbs to me.
J P Stein
It don't even twitch.
Andyrew
Optima is one of the strongest, hardest cranking, coldest starting battery's, that doesnt have any acid/dry cell...

odyssey is a light weight racing battery.

Andrew
william harris
Well seeing as how I'm captive in freakin' freezin' Massachusetts, maybe I had better go with the Optima. Mark, how has your experience been with the Odyssey? Any problems firing up the 6er?
mskala
Okay, I found a pic.

I have been very surprised by the power of this battery. It takes time for my
-6 to start, and it has not given me any trouble at all even when it's in the 30's
here in the spring mornings. (I'm sure it helps to have a low compression
motor biggrin.gif ).

I also got the aluminum mount. But was not about to mess with the car, so
screwed it to a separate steel plate with flat head screws. You can't tell in
the picture, but on the fender the tray metal looks like this (looking down):

tray side

_________/--------\______/--------\____________
fender side

And the metal sticks under the the protrusion.
drew365
I hate posting my pitifull pic after JPs buffed out trunk, but here goes. I made a light weight shroud out of foam and balsa wood to fill out a full size battery holder in the trunk. The Odyssey sits in the middle. I did this in case the battery quit at the track, I could pick up a standard size, pop it in and be ready to go. So far the Odyssey always has plenty of power.

william harris
OK, for those that asked, I am going to order from AJUSA. Had nothing but good experiences with them and their price is about $120. Based on Mark's comments, we will see how it works in my "new" 2.0. This board is really the source of all knowledge 914 wise. beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
Well bought my PC 680 from Evil bay 75 bucks. Brand new shipping was like 10 more.
Been cranking my car for over a year now. never let me down. Accidentally left the driving lights on once (three days). sorta drained the battery. Hooked up a jumper fired car and worked good ever since.

You can not go wrong with a PC680.
TimT
I agree AJUSA has good service, and I have bought things from them before..

However the 680 can be had for around $85 elsewhere
mskala
It almost goes without saying, but be sure to get the car-type terminals
rather than the small terminals
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.