Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: middle/3rd seat option
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thesey914
Some of you 914 historians might have some info on this...in Europe I believe there was an option of a lap belt for children for the '3rd seat'. Any one have any pictures/data?
736conver
Part number
914 803 021 10

For the center belt
GeorgeRud
The parts are (were) available in the USA, their is a part number for the center seatbelt assembly (914.803.025.10) for cars built through 12-31-71. The seating pad was also available in different leatherette finishes (914.521.053.09-11). I've never seen such a car delivered in the USA though. Anyone got one?
Bleyseng
I pulled the seatbelts outta a wreck at the junkyard a few years ago, got tired of storing them and tossed em. They are just small belts....
East coaster
I had a set in the first 914 I ever bought. Didn't realize they were rare and I pulle dthem out and chucked 'em. The things you do when your 19!

Oh yeah, it was a '72 model year.
AZ914
I think I remember seeing one of the retractors in my 75 stuffed back there.. I'll take a look tonight.
AZ914
Ok, nevermind. I do not have a 3rd seat bealt. What I do have appears to be an extra lap belt for the drivers seat.. ?@!#
firstknight13
biggrin.gif i have a set, got them here last year. nothing special but not common. hoping to put them in and then i can fit 2 women in it clap56.gif mueba.gif
Gustl
M166 - seat belt for M570

M570 - Third center seat

wavey.gif Gustl
rcrgrl
i got the seat pad out of my 70 and just bought a cheap lap belt and bolted it in. now i can & do fit both my kids in my car, legally. shifting, however, is another story !
Mamacita
QUOTE(firstknight13 @ Jul 18 2006, 09:08 PM) *

biggrin.gif i have a set, got them here last year. nothing special but not common. hoping to put them in and then i can fit 2 women in it clap56.gif mueba.gif

That made me think of the quote from Office Space..."two chicks at the same time"

Stacie
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ Jul 18 2006, 09:51 PM) *

i got the seat pad out of my 70 and just bought a cheap lap belt and bolted it in. now i can & do fit both my kids in my car, legally. shifting, however, is another story !

I drove my boss and his wife from San Diego to LA. She put one leg on one side

of the tunnel and one on the other. This made shifting rather fun. smile.gif
dennisc
I have an early 73 that has the center lap belt.
1970 Neun vierzehn
My '70/4 was delivered with those center belts installed, and they're still there. I also have both the smooth vinyl and the seat matching vinyl pad inserts. Back in 1975, wifey, 5 yr old daughter and I drove from Cincy to Orlando and St. Pete/Tampa utilizing those belts and seat pad. In 1979, the three of us again took a road trip with our 914, this time to D.C. Given that our daughter was still small and my wife and I were a whole lot younger then, it wasn't a difficult situation.
thesey914
so....anyone have any pictures of seat + belt and how the middle belt fixes?
SirAndy
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Jul 19 2006, 10:30 AM) *

so....anyone have any pictures of seat + belt and how the middle belt fixes?

there's two threaded mounting holes in the floorpan, one on each side of the center tunnel, near the rear firewall ...

only '70/'71 cars have those ...
smile.gif Andy
thesey914
...yes but pictures...smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Jul 19 2006, 10:56 AM) *

...yes but pictures...smile.gif

location of the mounting holes:

IPB Image

closeup of a mounting hole:

Click to view attachment

from the factory, those holes are plugged with a black plastic bolt that can be unscrewed with a large philips screwdriver ...

mounting the belts uses the same hardware as the regular seatbelts. short bolt, big washer, two plastic spacers ...
bye1.gif Andy
1970 Neun vierzehn
I'd post pics of the seat pad(s) and belts installed, but my digital camera is in the "shop" being repaired. Estimated fix time, 1 to 8(!) weeks. mad.gif Jeesh, you'd think it was a "914 camera".
jimtab
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 19 2006, 08:52 AM) *

You have to be careful not to "miss a shift" with the bosses wife...esp if he's there... biggrin.gif
thesey914
Thanks Andy...I have those smilie_pokal.gif . I remember when I stripped out the tar matting wondering what those were. Thread size looks smaller than the M11x1.25 (which in itself is a wierd size).
I'll pull out this plug and see if it fits.
Would love to see a pic of the belt though...
McMark
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SirAndy
from DGVWPB, page 25 and 28 ...

the final go for the project (of the 914) came on 09.02.1967 from VW. the decision to make the 914 a 3-seater came on 09.19.1967. at the same time karmann was included in the project as the builder of the cars. on the 20th of november (1967) all drawings were completed and the prototyping started. the first raw body was completed 03.01.1968. quote Herbert Linge: "the prototypes were build up fast." at the end of april (1968) the car #1 was standing on it's own suspension. btw. a 4-cylinder car. Richard Hetmann, later project manager for all new products at porsche: "before the first /6 was even completed, we already had 15 4-cylinder cars running in the testprogram."

here's a more refined version of the 3-seater interior, never made production. DGVPB, page 28:

thesey914
Wooaaa that is very nice.
Andy's not wrong the M11x1.25 seat belts bolts do fit. The thread, once the plug is removed, goes right through so the bolts if long enough could poke out the bottom.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jul 19 2006, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 19 2006, 08:52 AM) *

You have to be careful not to "miss a shift" with the bosses wife...esp if he's there... biggrin.gif

I actually think he was enjoying it, I would apoligize when I did go to "far" (I could

tell cuz she let out a little squeel) and when I looked over he had a $hit eating

grin on his face.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jul 19 2006, 11:52 AM) *

Wow!

Umm, would you mind shifting one leg or another...because my shifter's getting a little siff!
JeffBowlsby
If you are not concerned with authenticity, any old aftermarekt set of belts can be mounted using the same bolts that hold the female belt holders on either side of the center tunnel.

Andy, that 3-seater photo has always bugged me. It does not even look anything like a 914, look at any of the details, they are not even close to a 914. Is there anything in DBVWPB that suggests its not from a 914?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 19 2006, 08:45 PM) *

If you are not concerned with authenticity, any old aftermarekt set of belts can be mounted using the same bolts that hold the female belt holders on either side of the center tunnel.

Andy, that 3-seater photo has always bugged me. It does not even look anything like a 914, look at any of the details, they are not even close to a 914. Is there anything in DBVWPB that suggests its not from a 914?

mhmmm, now that you mention it, that certainly looks like it's *NOT* a 914 at all!

the door-frame, lack of targa bar etc. hum, never even looked that close at the pic ...

the caption on the foto in DGVWPB says: "This configuration was only build once: 914 3-seater"

but the interior looks more like a Matra-Simca Bagheera !!!
IPB Image
McMark
Uh, oh, inconsistencies in DGVWPB damage its credibility. (Although Luckie will disagree with me wink.gif )
JeffBowlsby
Aha...I am glad you agree...

I didn't know if it was a one-off prototype or thought that maybe perhaps it was a car like the Goertz 914 or the other ugly one whose name escapes me at the moment. I have not seen one of those Matras...to know their details. Maybe DGVWPB just used that photo as an example of a 3-seater?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 19 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Maybe DGVWPB just used that photo as an example of a 3-seater?

very plausible indeed. the Matra-Simca Bagheera was very popular in germany in the early 80s and as far as i know the only production 3-seater sportscar around at the time.

so they might just used the picture as a reference to the 3-seater concept ...
idea.gif Andy
johannes
I confirm it's a Bagheera interior. More pics ...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

In 1980 The Bagheera was replaced by the Murena. Better built, better looking.

http://www.automobile-sportive.com/guide/matra/murena.php

IPB Image

IPB Image

Nice alternative to the 914 ... but targa roof is missing.
Joe Bob
I had a set in my 70....real PITA to shift or do anything with three people.....

Matter of fact there was a thread on bench seats for a 356 tonight on the registry....most posters figured it was cool for going to the drive in...

WTF is a "drive in"?
Air_Cooled_Nut
The 3-seater picture, you can see the e-brake sticking up on the wrong side of the seat as well. Watch where you sit, ladies...

What's this "DGVWPB" or "DBVWPB" y'all speak of?
Air_Cooled_Nut
In my '75, I drove my buddy (just over 6' tall) and a girl we picked up at a bar. She was just shy of 5' and sat in the middle. Not the easiest shifting experience. I can't imagine anyone having anything larger than a house cat in that 3rd seat position for any consistent or occational use.
Gustl
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jul 20 2006, 05:47 PM) *

What's this "DGVWPB" or "DBVWPB" y'all speak of?

it stands for

DAS GROSSE VW-PORSCHE BUCH

probably the best book about the 914 that's ever written
only available in German
first edition 1989 - sold out shortly
second edition 1991 - sold out shortly

NLA since then

only via private sale - best place might be eBay ...

Gustl
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 20 2006, 08:13 PM) *

DAS GROSSE VW-PORSCHE BUCH

sorry, forgot the translation ...

The Big VW-Porsche Book

biggrin.gif Gustl

Stieve
I added one to my 75, from another german car, with same belts.
davep
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 20 2006, 10:39 AM) *

The Big VW-Porsche Book

So I have the 1989 edition. Was the 1991 edition much different?
Brian Mifsud
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 19 2006, 01:05 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

EXACTLY! Where are the photos of the boss's wife's legs!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.