Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Way too rich d jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biggy72
So I'm finally going to get a chance to work on my 72 1.7 with d jet a little bit after having it mostly together for the past several months (Been away at school). Any way I just put a new motor in and while trying to hook back up the wiring harness and all of the vacuum lines I'm not sure everything's right. It will start ok, but it won't hardly rev at all and it's running extremely rich. Is there a particular sensor I should take a look at, or do I just need to trace everything back? I've only got a couple days before I've got to take off again so hopefully I can figure it out pretty soon.
Rand
Check the hose to the MPS first. If that's disconnected it will run extremely rich.

If the intake air temp sensor on the plenum is disconnected it will run a bit rich.

If you keep trying to rev it does it clean out any at all?
Bleyseng
Is it timed right? smile.gif smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Timing won't make it rich. Since this is a fresh install, one might suspect the inlet and return hodses could be swapped. That would give you double the fuel pressure. As was already mentioned, check the MPS to see if it holds vacuum, as well as making sure the MPS hose to the intake plenum is intact and attached at both ends. The Cap'n
biggy72
Ok I just got done straightening out some fuel line routing and it started easier and doesn't seem as rich, but it's still extremely rich. I noticed that the head temp sensor wire broke so I've got to fix that, but would it make it run that rich? The mps is all wired up and plugged in. I know it was working when I pulled my last motor out. I'm going to go keep working on it, but any ideas would be helpful.
thanks
tdgray
In my exp. you must have all the vac lines routed correctly to diagnose anything.

negotiate that and the fuel lines and then report back.

You'll get it beerchug.gif
krazykonrad
Look for vacuum leaks, even where you dont think you have any. I have the same problem with my d-jet, too. I replaced the vacuum line from the MPS to the plenum and the real thin line from the throttle to the dizzy. neither one had obvious lekas, but it made a huge difference. I'm in the process of replacing more lines as I go. I also replaced the throttle body gasket. The rubber parts I replace the better it gets.
Good Luck!
Konrad
72/4
krazykonrad
I forgot to add that clamps on the ends of the line between the MPS and the plenum seemed to help. Also check your intake hoses. that solved a major vacuum leak.
Keep on pluggin!
Konrad
JeffBowlsby
TS2 must be plugged in or it will run....RICH...if it runs at all.
biggy72
TS2 ?? temp sensor? is that the head temp sensor I had the wire break on? I just double checked quite a few things and pulled the plugs. I've got 1 and 2 fouling out badly, but they have spark right after cleaning them up, and 3 and 4 are pretty black. I'm going to get new plugs, and a cap and rotor tomorrow because I know it could use them, but I'm going to go try to trace the temp sensor I broke so I can get it plugged in right now.
Bleyseng
If the head temp sensor wire is broken or not hooked up, good luck getting it to run at all. It makes the ECU go very rich! alfred.gif
biggy72
I must have a hell of a good set up then because it runs, but rich for 5 minutes or so til it floods out. I pulled the harness apart a little bit ago and I need to fix quite a few wires. I never was a fan of brittle wires but I can't afford a new harness and I think I can fix this one for the time being any way.
biggy72
Ok it's all rewired, but I think my plugs are so fouled up I can't get them to clear out so i'll get a new set tomorrow and see what it does.
ptravnic
Sounds like you have the initiative. See this link for answers to common (and not so common) D-Jet issues.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/

Enjoy!
bob174
Tee in a fuel pressure gauge and make sure your fuel pressure is 29 psi.
biggy72
Well I got stuck on another project today and didn't have time to do much with the car, but late last night I burned off the plugs and got it started. It wasn't rich any more, but it kind of idled at about 3 grand and surged wildly. I'm sure there's some kind of vacuum leak causing it, I just need to track it down. I've got all day tomorrow to figure it out so we'll see.
ptravnic
To find the vacuum leak spray propane around all the connections while the car is running. If it stumbles you found your vacuum leak. I found out my plenum was leaking using this method. That was a beeeaaaaatttttcccchhhhh to isolate - only way I figured it out was using the $5 handheld camping type propane.

Happy hunting.
krazykonrad
Starting fluid/ ether works great for isolating vacuum leaks. go easy on it, espescially close to the intake as burning more than just a tiny bit in the combustion chamber can eventually cause mucho problems. SHold be a couple of bucks in a spray can at any auto parts store.
Best of luck! You'll have vacuum leaks in places that you never imagined!
Konrad
72/4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.