Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving Thunderhill CW....Any good advice?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
I will be at the next GGR Time Trial July 29th and 30th. I've only driven this direction once before, and that was 3 years ago.

Anyone have tips on where and what to watch for and what turns I can keep the speed up?

I know that most of the race bodies only race in the CCW direction due to the fact that going in that direction allows race-passes versus the CW direction which is not as passing friendly in a non-cooperative environment.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill P.

P.S. I have been watching assorted videos of all brands of cars from in-car videos on the web. I have a decent idea of the line, but I'd like someone who has run it chime in here.
DanT
Bill,
A couple of quick observations.

Turn9...don't brake until you have crested the hill. There is plenty of space to get the car slowed for 9

Turn 8...more speed going down hill....you will need a little more deliberate use of brake to settle the nose.

Turn 5. Keep the car closer to the inside...keep it tight....you won't need much brake at the top of the hill...if you keep the car close to the inside going up the hill there is also just a bit of camber to help keep the car inside and slow the car. It is a totally timed turn in since you are looking at blue sky.

Turn 3...again keep the car closer to the inside than when you run CCW.

Turn 1 lots of pucker... smile.gif

By the way IMHO....the track is not as safe as in the CCW direction...
I don't enjoy the track in the CW direction as much as the CCW.

What else?
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 18 2006, 09:17 PM) *

Bill,

Turn9...don't brake until you have crested the hill. There is plenty of space to get the car slowed for 9

Turn 8...more speed going down hill....you will need a little more deliberate use of brake to settle the nose.

Turn 5. Keep the car closer to the inside...keep it tight....you won't need much brake at the top of the hill...if you keep the car close to the inside going up the hill there is also just a bit of camber to help keep the car inside and slow the car. It is a totally timed turn in since you are looking at blue sky.

What else?

Hi Dan,

Going up 9 is there a site line or marker to look for? I've been watching some videos of Dean in the 911 and someone with a Boxster, but I can't see anything to shoot for. Do I keep my foot in it right to the top?

Coming into 5 do I take a really late apex and accelerate hard out into 4?

Turn 3 looks like I should go late from 4 into hugging the inside line of 3 where the camber is better and drag race it into 2....

Bill P.
DanT
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jul 18 2006, 09:36 PM) *

Bill,

What else?

Hi Dan,

Going up 9 is there a site line or marker to look for? I've been watching some videos of Dean in the 911 and someone with a Boxster, but I can't see anything to shoot for. Do I keep my foot in it right to the top?

Turn 3 looks like I should go late from 4 into hugging the inside line of 3 where the camber is better and drag race it into 2....

Bill P.

Bill,
Turn 9 you just need to go thru a couple of times and then pick a spot you are comfortable with...no real marker....You will probably feather the throttle going up the hill near the top and then brake after the crest.

Yes with your assesment of 5 and 3. clap56.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 18 2006, 09:44 PM) *

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Jul 18 2006, 09:36 PM) *

Bill,

What else?

Hi Dan,

Bill P.

Bill,
Turn 9 you just need to go thru a couple of times and then pick a spot you are comfortable with...no real marker....You will probably feather the throttle going up the hill near the top and then brake after the crest.

Yes with your assesment of 5 and 3. clap56.gif

Allright!....This should be fun! I like trying different directions....keeps the boredom out of it...

I also noticed that the Boxster in the GGR videos was catching 2nd gear turn 15 into 14 and also in 12 to 11. Do you agree with this approach or should I just torque it out of there in 3rd?

Thanks for the tips!

Bill P.
DanT
Yep, that is what I do in my Boxster....I would probably use 2nd at turn 5 also. Get the car to hop at the apex to set it down the hill... biggrin.gif
The Boxster vid you are watching is probably Trygve...he is very fast and smooth.
In your car you may stay in 3rd depending on your entrance and exit speed.
I would try it both ways and see how it goes...I always try different gears in lower speed corners, until I find the one that gets the car to do what I want it to do.
Trekkor
Did you see my "airborne video" from a few weeks ago?

I found that 11 looks faster than it really is. Gotta give it up.

Kinda funny to me. 11 at Sears, Laguna and TH all have something in common...No fast way through it. Sacraficial.

Use the new asphalt into 10...Big time!!

I expect GGR will go "over the top" in 5 as opposed to the bypass, right? Bypass, it's get straight and FLAT OUT! land it and turn in.
Some cars get four wheels off the ground here. ( me ). laugh.gif

I like the descriptions Dan gave. clap56.gif
9 is tough because you want to brake. You can't see the track in front of you and you know it's a hard right turn on the other side.

KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Jul 18 2006, 10:35 PM) *

Did you see my "airborne video" from a few weeks ago?

I found that 11 looks faster than it really is. Gotta give it up.

Kinda funny to me. 11 at Sears, Laguna and TH all have something in common...No fast way through it. Sacraficial.

Use the new asphalt into 10...Big time!!

I expect GGR will go "over the top" in 5 as opposed to the bypass, right? Bypass, it's get straight and FLAT OUT! land it and turn in.
Some cars get four wheels off the ground here. ( me ). laugh.gif

I like the descriptions Dan gave. clap56.gif
9 is tough because you want to brake. You can't see the track in front of you and you know it's a hard right turn on the other side.

KT

GGR has never used the bypass....not in 12+ years....either direction.

And we don't use any of the new asphalt...it is treated as if it is not there....
If it is beyond a line or painted a color other than black we don't go there.

Just extra pavement that is there only if someone blows it and needs it to get there car back under control.... biggrin.gif sad.gif
Trekkor
If you drive on the new asphalt do you get DQ'd in the TT? DNF?

KT

video link:
http://www.914world.com/videos/THill_AIR_062306a.wmv

DanT
Chat with the track steward and/or the assistant track steward....

Logged in, don't repeat unless you want a longer slower chat....

and yes you could get DQd during timed runs if you were to use it to "shorten" the track...

When I was watching you video before Trekkor, I noticed that the group you were running with did not seem to be concerned about your using the extra tarmac.

smile.gif
Trekkor
Yes, Trackmaster's.

I was watching a spec Miata race at TH and these guys put four wheels off in 14-15 on to the new section. *every lap*.

I will say that the run-off out of 8 CCW adds to my comfort level. smile.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.