Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: powdercoat oven done!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dweymer
Finally finished the oven for my powder coat stuff:

wife thinks I'm crazy so I figured I would share with those that would understand....

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
vesnyder
I definitely understand - NICE !!
Lou W
I see a vent on the right side, how is it heated and controled? are parts going to hang from the inside ceiling? Have you powder coated yourself before? Sure looks good. smile.gif
STL914
Your wife may be on to something. biggrin.gif

No, seriously, that looks great. You just need to ppowder coat something and prove you're OK. Then when she asks for you do powder coat something for her, time to have some pay-back.

How about some details?
yarin
Wow thats nuts!

Make sure you have an exhaust that dumps outside your garage. I wouldn't operate that oven indoors at all, the fumes are BAD.

I did my stuff in a walmart toaster oven.

IPB Image

You got a sandblasting cabinet?
Allan
So where do I send my parts? biggrin.gif
Mike D.
Nice, If I made something like that in the garage I think the wife would leave the house with the kids when I used because she would belive that it would explode. smile.gif

BTW, there is something wrong with your teener in the back ground there. Someone messed up the roof and the sail panel seems to be made of glass.
dweymer
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jul 19 2006, 01:59 PM) *

BTW, there is something wrong with your teener in the back ground there. Someone messed up the roof and the sail panel seems to be made of glass.

Funny...it's custom you know

It has wheels to roll outside for use. The vent is the inlet for the heat, infrared propane. Heat will be controlled by valve and a vent in the top. Will be testing this week.
Lou W
Make sure that you take lots of pictures. clap56.gif
bondo
What did you use for those insulative "bricks"? Looks like foil faced somethingorother. I started with just foil faced foam as the inside of mine, but it couldn't take the heat, and didn't insulate well enough. I added a layer of fluffy fiberglass, but then it shed "hair" on the parts. I have since added a layer of foil, but it's not perfect. Mine's about the same size as yours but electric, and since I've added all this insulation the interior has gotten smaller.

Make sure you keep a close eye on the temperature.. too cool and it won't set (carb cleaner washes it right off).. too hot and it wrinkles/bubbles.
dweymer
QUOTE(bondo @ Jul 19 2006, 04:25 PM) *

What did you use for those insulative "bricks"? Looks like foil faced somethingorother. I started with just foil faced foam as the inside of mine, but it couldn't take the heat, and didn't insulate well enough. I added a layer of fluffy fiberglass, but then it shed "hair" on the parts. I have since added a layer of foil, but it's not perfect. Mine's about the same size as yours but electric, and since I've added all this insulation the interior has gotten smaller.

Make sure you keep a close eye on the temperature.. too cool and it won't set (carb cleaner washes it right off).. too hot and it wrinkles/bubbles.

Build detail:

Frame is built from steel studs 3.5". interior of oven is faced with 20gauge steel, the brick look is stamped in to the steel. within the frame "rockwool" board insulation is placed(it is 2.5" thick and can with stand 800 degrees, used in comercial ovens) Outside is the stamped steel again. a digital thermometer will be installed soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.