Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting Exhaust System
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I am going to paint my muffler and was wondering if anybody's had any success using the carmic high-temp paint from the local parts store? I know some guys that have done the powder coat equivalent, but that does not fit my budget - just want something that will prevent the rust and look OK (it is all rusty and looks like hell!). I know most of the work is in the prep and that is a real PIA!
john rogers
In the 9 years I have been owning 914s I have never had any type of spray paint or heat resistant paint hold up to the heat and heat cycles on a 914 four or six exhaust system. This includes POR-15 too. I use stainless on our stock 1974 and had the headers on the race car flame sprayed (blue) and they don't rust.
STL914
Vance,

Mind if I listen in? I need to do the same thing to mine. I know Eastwood sells several types of heat resistant paint in three different colors.
nebreitling
i've used the ceramic high-temp paint. good to like 1100 deg or something....

on the muffler, it seems to stick and last about 6 months to a year. on the primaries (i run headers), it lasts about 1 month before it starts flaking off.
lapuwali
Muffler runs a lot cooler than the headers, so if all you're painting is the muffler, than the spray-on ceramic stuff may work. Headers or HEs should be sent out for proper ceramic coating.
vesnyder
I am just considering the muffler. I will give it a try and let you know.
toon1
I used the product from eastwood and so far it's held up pretty well. It's been on there for about 6 months.
Find a sand blaster and get them real clean. Before you paint use Laquer thinner and wipe them down, then paint.
914-8
Stoddards sells the factory grey VHT exhaust paint.

If you have your exhaust sand (or bead, I'm not sure what they use) blasted so that its is totally clean, and apply the Stoddard paint with a paint gun per the instructions, you will get a lot of life out of the paint.

It is the only method that has worked for me over the years.

I did my 914 that way, and the exhaust still looked great after 50,000 miles.

It REALLY works. But you MUST do it correctly. If the exhaust is not blasted down all the way to clean metal, it won't work as well. If you do not apply the paint with an automotive paint gun, it'll go on too thin and won't last as well.

Here's some pics of my former SC, done the same way.

IPB Image
IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.