Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach Adapter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Getting ready to replace my ignition on my /6 with a MSD 6al, 8202 coil and Crane optical.

Am I gonna need a tach adapter?

If so, which one and where to get?

Thanks...
Mike D.
I have the MSD6al and got a signal (incorrect of course) on the stock 4 cyl. tach. I then instaled a 74 911 tach and got nothing, purchased the tach adapter and still got nothing. However, I never saw the 911 tach work so it could have been busted before I got it. I ended up having it rebuilt for use with MSD by North Hollywood Speedo, $160. No adapter needed now.
Before you buy one you can borrow the one I have and if it works for you then you can buy it if you want, for a small out of the package discount of course... smile.gif
let me know
Allan
I have a working tach as of now, maybe I can swing by and pick it up on my way to Santa Barbara in a couple of weeks.

Mike Z has been gracious enough to offer his assistance in putting everything in....
Mike D.
No Problem, let me know when and I'll make sure you get it even if I'm not around.
markb
QUOTE(Headrage @ Jul 19 2006, 11:06 AM) *

I have a working tach as of now, maybe I can swing by and pick it up on my way to Santa Barbara in a couple of weeks.

Mike Z has been gracious enough to offer his assistance in putting everything in....

Let me know when you're heading down to Z's. I'd like to help/hang out if I can.
Allan
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 19 2006, 12:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Headrage @ Jul 19 2006, 11:06 AM) *

Let me know when you're heading down to Z's. I'd like to help/hang out if I can.

So far Mark, it looks like the weekend of the 4th and 5th of August. Unless I hear something different from Mike that's what I'm planning.
watsonrx13
Allan, I went through this process last month. YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLACE YOUR TACH. OK, now that I've got your attention, use your working tach, just get the correct MSD tach adapter, 8920, and wire it up per instructions.

Here's a link to my wiring diagram. And here's a link to my website documenting the steps I took to get it to work correctly....

Good luck and let us know the results....

-- Rob
Allan
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Jul 19 2006, 03:51 PM) *

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLACE YOUR TACH.

Don't plan on it. It works fine.

Thanks for the links.

Any idea what I can expect after it's in and tuned?

Better cold starting, improved throttle response, smoother idle, 10 extra horses?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.